Excellent article on the history of female directors

..and why not?
PresMuffley

Excellent article on the history of female directors

Postby PresMuffley » 24 Feb 2017, 20:21

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

PresMuffley

Re: Excellent article on the history of female directors

Postby PresMuffley » 04 Mar 2017, 00:23

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Mar 2017, 07:03

Perhaps I'm pissing in the wind here but...

Part 3

http://truthdig.com/arts_culture/item/what_happened_to_the_female_directors_of_hollywood_part_3_20170309

I think this is the best thing Truth Dig has ever published.

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 08:01

I'll be reading this soon. I read a bit when you posted the thread originally and had my few disagreements with the introduction, being a former film student and so on, and having seen the divide between the people who studied cinema as part of a growing career fad, and those that did because they actually wished to follow film as a career. It's not something that is truly measurable in statistics, and unfortunately that's where the biggest discrepancy between male and female lies in my experience. This aside, there've certainly been a number of great female directors through history and so I'll continue to read.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Mar 2017, 09:26

I guess I understand your point in a sense (not that I wholeheartedly agree), but this series goes much deeper than statistical analysis. Hope you get back to it. And thanks for responding.

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 10:30

PresMuffley wrote:I guess I understand your point in a sense (not that I wholeheartedly agree), but this series goes much deeper than statistical analysis. Hope you get back to it. And thanks for responding.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's meant to act more as a preface to what the article actually refers to. I didn't stop reading because I disagreed, mind, and I do think there are two sides to the matter as well (I do personally know women who have had to deal with sexism in the industry for one); mostly I just did because it was late at night and I couldn't give it its due attention. I'll get to it soon and let you know my thoughts.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 19 Mar 2017, 06:55

I'll be surprised if you don't find it to be a well-researched, informative piece. But I'm up for surprises...

I just finished part 4:

http://truthdig.com/arts_culture/item/what_happened_to_the_female_directors_of_hollywood_part_4_19841999_20170317

Return to “Screenadelica”