Inside Llewyn Davis
1%
Hail, Caesar
No votes

Total votes: 118

pcqgod

Coen Brothers movies (poll)

Postby pcqgod » 22 Feb 2017, 20:56

Help me decide which Coen Bros movie to check out next. Pick three favorites. Write in one that you think is underrated or overlooked.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Coen Brothers movies (poll)

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Feb 2017, 21:04

"The Man Who Wasn't There" is a really great noir. I mean, classic, really, except it was decades too late.

"O Brother Where Art Thou" is marvelous too. I know it's not hip to dig T-Bone Burnett these days, but he really did a wonderful job with the music.

The other one I went for is "Barton Fink." Quirky as all get out, but rewarding if you have the patience for that kind of thing (I do).

I really like most of them, though I haven't seen the last two. Reports have been unencouraging.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 22 Feb 2017, 21:06

I picked Miller's Crossing, The Big Lebowski and Fargo. Could also have picked Blood Simple but it's striking that, aside from No Country..., the hit rate in recent years has really taken a hammering. I bought Hail Caesar ages ago and haven't watched it yet, which tells a story. Up to and including O Brother..., they're all pretty great and definitively Coen-esque.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Feb 2017, 21:17

If you haven't seen the Hudsucker Proxy you should do yourself a favor and see it, its their best along with The Big Lebowski and Fargo in my book

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Feb 2017, 21:26

Miller's Crossing is pretty much my favourite film of all time, it's one of the few films I can watch multiple times and not get bored with. An occasionally brutally violent gangster film with pretty much no bad language or sex, but a homosexual relationship pretty much at the core of the plot. I can't think of something that would confuse the moral majority more. After that the order goes:

Blood Simple
Barton Fink
Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski

and then the rest are watchable to a bit shit. I've not seen Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers, Inside Llewyn Davis, or Hail Caesar.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 22 Feb 2017, 23:43

I'm yet to see "Intolerable Cruelty", "A Serious Man" & "...Llewyn Davis" I can safely say I find something to like if not love in nearly all they do.
I took a deep breath and voted: "Miller's Crossing", "Barton Fink" & "No Country for Old Men". I could have easily picked another three and then another...

I'd seen & enjoyed "Blood Simple" & "Raising Arizona" a number of times by the time I saw "Miller's Crossing". I really think, as talented as they obviously already were, that they leaped to a whole other level with that one. the main characters aren't really very likable, there were a lot of mob movies coming out at the time. there's a richness & a confidence that really won me over to them big time. for years when people asked me what kind of newer movies I liked I'd say "Pixar & Cohen brothers"

Barton Fink is the only one I've owned on more than one format so it must be a favorite. I watched it with my daughter who is discovering the brothers through never getting tired of "Lewbowski". She got it. I think it's a wonderful thing. a heavy handed swipe at heavy handedness LOL. I think Turturro & Goodman are as good as can be in that one.

Put me down as somebody who is very fond of "No Country for Old Men" - that's my third selection in the poll. I could repeat what I said about Miller's crossing in that I think they jump to another level here. they set up little set pieces like they always do, with the skill of a humorist but Bardin's steely eyed evilness blots out anything resembling humor to something chilling. In pacing, tone and theme I think their reach is matched by their grasp. I know a lot of people found the movie down beat or unsatisfying - not me. I think it's as good a movie as I've seen these last (mumble mumble) years.

Now, I could have easily taken "O'Brother..." I think this is also as accomplished as anything they've done. get ready for another kind word about "The Hudsucker Proxy". it's like Goldwyn hired Sturges to make a Jerry Lewis movie. No, it's a Cohen Brothers movie. I LOVE this sequence and the way it eschews Carter Burwell's usual tasteful music for the goddam Sabre Dance!

Seeing such an oddball movie with such a lavish budget does me a lot of good. the casting and set pieces are wonderful. the "bridge too far" for a lot of people in that movie delights me no end. something happens to Charles Durning and I could feel half my crew give up on the movie. I just love that they let the movies go off on those little tangents. So, I'm glad when something like "Lebowski" becomes the unlikely shaggy dog story it's become.

Anyway, I love talking about those guys. I can't think of one I've seen that I didn't think had something going for it although I think the ones that have bigger fish to fry end up sticking to my ribs the longest.
Last edited by Sneelock on 23 Feb 2017, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 23 Feb 2017, 09:11

No Country For Old Men
The Man Who Wasn't There
Fargo

Clear 3 for me
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 23 Feb 2017, 10:07

Millers Crossing
O Brother Where Art Thou
Fargo

Didn't like Lebowski or Barton Fink.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Feb 2017, 10:17

I watched Fargo again recently. It's great, just wonderful entertainment.

I chose that, Lebowski and No Country.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Feb 2017, 11:32

I saw Blood Simple for the first time last year and it blew my mind. It's hard to know where to go after that - maybe I'll throw A Serious Man in there mainly because it hasn't been mentioned before and it's a bit of an odd one in their catalogue...none of the familiar actors from other Coen movies, very little actually happens, just a long sense of being lost in an unforgiving world. And to please the crowds you kind of have to go with Big Lebowsky as well.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Feb 2017, 15:12

OK, looks like the ones I most need to see now are 'Miller's Crossing' and 'The Hudsucker Proxy.' I probably need to revisit 'Blood Simple' soon, since it's been ages and I don't recall much about it.

The other ones I haven't seen at this point are:

The Man Who Wasn't There
The Ladykillers
A Serious Man
Inside Llewyn Davis.

Of the ones I have seen, 'Intolerable Cruelty' seemed the weakest. I did quite like the latest, Hail Caesar.'

My own three picks were 'Raising Arizona,' 'The Big Lebowski' and 'No Country for Old Men.'

Thanks for all the replies.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Feb 2017, 17:03

The excessive time spent on satirizing local accents in "Fargo" has always bothered me, but it's otherwise wonderful. McDormand is great. "And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper."
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Feb 2017, 19:13

I love Blood Simple.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Feb 2017, 19:20

toomanyhatz wrote:The excessive time spent on satirizing local accents in "Fargo" has always bothered me, but it's otherwise wonderful. McDormand is great. "And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper."

It's an essential part of the movie though, like part of the scenery. It reminds me of the gee whizz quality that Blue Velvet has too. It makes the movie stranger, more incongruous.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 23 Feb 2017, 19:52

Raising Arizona was good, but I prefer the sequel, Absorbing Junior.

"Quite."

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 23 Feb 2017, 23:28

This scene was filmed about a mile from where I live:

That section of land was slowly sinking during the 1920s, until a major earthquake in 1933 sent it down. They're standing on what was used to be a road.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 24 Feb 2017, 14:39

Another vote for 'A Serious Man'.

Just a couple of really funny observational scenes amidst the sense of frustration. Subtle.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Feb 2017, 17:10

I turned off 'No Country' after ten minutes. No stomach for it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Feb 2017, 21:42

The Twat Patrol wrote:I turned off 'No Country' after ten minutes. No stomach for it.

No Stomach for Old Men?

Schiz-Ke-Bab

Postby Schiz-Ke-Bab » 03 Mar 2017, 20:37

Blood Simple
Miller's Crossing (which reminds me, time to update my signature)
No Country for Old Men
"And today I ain't sellin' any... so take your flunky and dangle."

Return to “Screenadelica”