R.I.P. John Hurt

..and why not?
algroth

R.I.P. John Hurt

Postby algroth » 28 Jan 2017, 01:34

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... an-9707290

One of the greatest actors of all time in my book. Farewell and thank you for everything.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: R.I.P. John Hurt

Postby copehead » 28 Jan 2017, 01:51

algroth wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/john-hurt-dead-elephant-man-9707290

One of the greatest actors of all time in my book. Farewell and thank you for everything.

Thought he would be immortal.

He probably is immortal now

I was aware of him before 1984 but Winston Smith is the character which really opened my eyes to him as an actor. The pain, the confusion, the love and the fear are all there
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jan 2017, 03:45

My John Hurt story.

My mom somehow got some freebie tickets of Hurt reading the Gospel of John on Broadway. She, my dad and I were given some folding chairs in the lighting section high above the stage. It was a very simple production where Hurt was pretty much reading the Bible. About five, six minutes in Dad fell asleep and started snoring. The crew immediately kicked us out onto the street.
Question authority.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Jan 2017, 04:51

I'm with you, Will. I started really admiring john Hurt after I saw 1984 in the cinema. Together with Burton he was incredible.
First memory was him as Caligula in i Claudius. He was a grand despot, one of those players who could use their voice to great effect. Loved also his tongue-in-cheek material (SNL, Spaceballs) and his casting in blockbusters like Alien and Harry potter proved how he could transfer theatrical prowess to the grandest audiences.
Shit.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jan 2017, 05:42

Ow, FUCK!

What a loss. I first became aware of him in Midnight Express and then of course Alien and The Elephant Man. After that I always kept my eye out for him and I don't think I ever saw him give anything less than a tremendously satisfying performance. He had such amazing presence and magnetism, even as his face was caving in from age and his throat was all phlegmy; indeed, that "thing" he had became ever more pronounced as he got older.

An overlooked personal favorite is Love and Death on Long Island.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Postby ... » 28 Jan 2017, 09:01

First saw him as Timothy Evans in 10 Rillington Place and he became one of my favourite actors ever after

That voice!

RIP, Sir John

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Jan 2017, 19:45

Jimbo wrote:My John Hurt story.

My mom somehow got some freebie tickets of Hurt reading the Gospel of John on Broadway. She, my dad and I were given some folding chairs in the lighting section high above the stage. It was a very simple production where Hurt was pretty much reading the Bible. About five, six minutes in Dad fell asleep and started snoring. The crew immediately kicked us out onto the street.

:lol:
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Jan 2017, 19:47

I was just watching Hurt in '1984' the day after Trump's inauguration, when the "Vice" channel was airing their anti-Trump-athon.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Jan 2017, 07:42

The less said about Crystal Skull the better, but Rest in Peace Kane.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 01 Feb 2017, 03:43

Snarfyguy wrote:Ow, FUCK!

What a loss. I first became aware of him in Midnight Express and then of course Alien and The Elephant Man. After that I always kept my eye out for him and I don't think I ever saw him give anything less than a tremendously satisfying performance. He had such amazing presence and magnetism, even as his face was caving in from age and his throat was all phlegmy; indeed, that "thing" he had became ever more pronounced as he got older.

Agreed, he's excellent in that film. Another underrated film he's in is The Hit with Tim Roth and Terence Stamp...love that flick.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 01 Feb 2017, 12:45

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Ow, FUCK!

Agreed, he's excellent in that film.

I loved that movie - but I have to admit I was convinced it was Ian McKellan, not Hurt, in it. I think I'm mixing it up with Gods and Monsters which I think I saw roughly at the same time and has some parallels.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Screenadelica”