T2 Trainspotting - anyone going to see it?

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Re: T2 Trainspotting - anyone going to see it?

Postby Dr Markus » 03 Feb 2017, 13:07

I didn't know Boyle and Mcgregor had a falling out because Dicaprio got the lead in Boyle's next film the beach. They didn't talk for ages apparently.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 03 Feb 2017, 18:42

Frank Carson News at Ten.......
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 03 Feb 2017, 18:50

Jeemo wrote:Frank Carson News at Ten.......

:lol:
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Postby ... » 03 Feb 2017, 18:55

Johnny Fartpants wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=133632

Who cares if the IMDB boards are shutting when we have access to this kind of inside track!

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 03 Feb 2017, 19:24

fueryIre wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=133632

Who cares if the IMDB boards are shutting when we have access to this kind of inside track!

He's got his own gossip column in the Donegal Times. Apparently John Lennon's been shot! :o
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 03 Feb 2017, 19:39

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Postby ... » 08 Feb 2017, 08:53

Saw this yesterday afternoon and would concur with pretty much everything in GB's review above. At the end of the day, while it's obviously never going to be a patch on the original, it's still two hours well spent.

Apparently in one of Irving W's most recent novels he's obviously been in need of replenishing his coffers and revisited Begbie, reinventing everyone's favourite pyscho as a sculptor in California following a Jimmy Boyle/John McVIcar-style rehabilitation.

Hope and pray that they don't start thinking about doing a third film based on this rather flimsy premise.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 08 Feb 2017, 15:06

*possible spoilers*
Watched it last night -- Goatboys review nails it very well. Its a great piece of nostalgia for people who were young and wiry like the cast back in 1996 and aren't so now. Coming to terms with whats important as you move into later life. Nothing genre defying here but that wasn't going to happen. If you want a cultural statement then get 20+ year olds who are on the cusp of brilliance, thats what the original was.

On the music, I thought there was a nice nod to Bowie, Lou and George Michael. The Queen nightclub scene adds to that weird nostalgia. Renton and Sick Boy surrounded by 19yr olds passionately singing Radio Ga Ga and Young Fathers was a good choice, like Orbital they have big beats for cinematic impact and pop hooks for memorability. Musically it was a good mix of old and new.

And no mention of pish like Trump and Brexit thank fuck! :D

F.o.W

Postby F.o.W » 12 Feb 2017, 23:59

Seen it twice. Love it dearly. I've exhausted superlatives elsewhere, but a worthy sequel.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it.

driftin

Postby driftin » 23 Feb 2017, 16:58

It's decent, not great. The problem I have with it is it lacks the personal story of the first but even worse is the storytelling which is extremely muddled and confused. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't clicking then I realised halfway that Renton's voice-over was missing and it was no longer his story. The whole thing was just a jumbled attempt to tell the story of all four people at the same time. The characters are older and the theme is that of growing up, but at the same time the filmmaking still has that youthful energy from the first film. There's really snappy editing, loud pop tunes, stylistic blocking and colours, words popping up on the screen, even a little CGI to indicate the shape of someone's signature which is mimed in the air (a plot point which becomes relevant later). Sometimes it's brilliant, especially that final shot which harks back to the first film and to the title, or the scene in the toilet where two characters come to realise something about the other, but other times it's just plain weird and doesn't work at all. A few moments in this film reminded me of that godawful video game sequence in The Beach, particularly the absolutely horrible and downright cheesy Raging Bull ("Raging Spud") homage where Spud imagines himself as Jake LaMotta with slow motion black and white footage and opera playing, or another sequence where handheld footage of the gang has grotesque cartoon faces superimposed on top of it. This kind of shit would've been laughed at in the first film where the characters were more wild but here where they're nostalgic and getting fat in the middle it's just embarrassing and doesn't work. It serves no story or character purpose, it's just there for show. I'm all for Danny Boyle retaining that frenetic style which has made him famous, he does it well, but a little of it here goes a long way. The characters, the plot, the dialogue are all on point but it's the storytelling itself which lets it down. In a way it's a bit like the remixes of Born Slippy and Lust For Life which appear here and there. It riffs on the original, but it's just not as good. The first actually had purpose in every frame, this one the style got in the way. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though and I certainly thought some moments were great, and even emotional.

I give it a 6 or maybe a 7 out of 10

Return to “Screenadelica”