Silence

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Silence

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Dec 2016, 14:15

Marty's next big best thing if hype is to be believed.

First thing wrong with it, without of course having seen it, is Andrew Garfield, just can't stand the guy on screen. His acting just SO corny. Just can't take him seriously, same goes for Driver. On the other hand you have Neeson and Hinds too great actors.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Re: Silence

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Jan 2017, 13:20

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170103-is-martin-scorseses-silence-worth-the-wait

Martin Scorsese has spent 25 years developing his new film, a grueling religious epic that stars Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver. Sam Adams takes a look.

Silence, an adaptation of Shūsaku Endō’s novel about Jesuit priests in 17th Century Japan, has been described as Martin Scorsese’s ‘passion project’, but there are few Scorsese films to which that description does not apply.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Jan 2017, 19:26

I thought this would have gotten a bit more of a reaction since it's scorsese but ok.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Jan 2017, 12:50

I went to see it 2 night ago, and you can tell it's a passion project from the start. However it fails to achieve what it set out to do IMHO.
For the start the casting is ridiculously bad, Garfield and Driver start out like they were in dumb and dumber and don't really improve after that. Garfield hams it up and Driver is just shite, I genuinely don't see what other see in his "talent". As the story progresses you can see what Scorsese is trying to show and make people debate in their own heads. Unfortunately humor appears (intentionally or not intentionally, I don't know) where it shouldn't. It's not as hard hitting or flinching as I thought it would be, and Neeson not giving a fuck about his non existent Portuguese accent doesn't help. The biggest mistake was having the Japanese version of Kenneth Williams as the main bad guy. While in the back ground you will be thinking about how far you will go to retain and not denounce your belief no matter the cost, as a spectacle or film it's pretty ordinary.

Return to “Screenadelica”