Musical biopic favs

..and why not?
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Musical biopic favs

Postby Jimbo » 17 Dec 2016, 16:20

Just back from seeing the Chet Baker biopic Born to Be Blue starring Ethan Hawke. This was not my favorite musical biopic. It's a film about an artist and his addiction to heroin with a grumpy Miles Davis character. The music gets short shrift here. Concert begins and after one abbreviated song Baker is taking bows. Oh, and Hawke cannot sing well. Two and a half stars.

After the movie my wife and I were talking about our favorite musical biopics. None very accurate, there have been so many if you think about it for a minute. From Jolson's The Jazz Singer to this new one from Hawke. In there are Coal Miner's Daughter, The Buddy Holly Story, Eddie Duchin Story, With a Song in My Heart … so many! My favorite is Oliver Stones' The Doors. Totally watchable and the Doors imitation was quite good if I recall. Haven't seen it in ages. That's my fav. 8-)
Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Re: Musical biopic favs

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2016, 23:18

The Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey and La Bamba with Lou Diamond Phillips are two old favorites.

I also like the James Brown one they did from a few years ago - the lead was the star of the Jackie Robinson movie too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 19 Dec 2016, 23:24

I'll admit to liking Kevin Spacey's Bobby Darin movie (whatever the hell it was called - Down by the Sea?)
it was old fashioned in a bad way but that's what I liked about it.

I'm a sucker for that stuff. I've seen "Your Cheating Heart" with George Hamilton as Hank Williams at least a half dozen times. So, the Glenn Miller Story, the Benny Goodman story.. easy pickens!

does "Around Midnight" count? maybe it should. would somebody please cast George Wallace in a movie as Howlin' Wolf before he dies? please & thank you.
uggy poopy doody.

Postby ... » 20 Dec 2016, 07:02

While not a movie, Mrs F and I went to see Million Dollar Quartet in London last night. If you're in two minds whether to go or not, don't bother, it's shite

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Dec 2016, 15:42

Jimbo wrote:Just back from seeing the Chet Baker biopic Born to Be Blue starring Ethan Hawke. This was not my favorite musical biopic. It's a film about an artist and his addiction to heroin with a grumpy Miles Davis character. The music gets short shrift here. Concert begins and after one abbreviated song Baker is taking bows. Oh, and Hawke cannot sing well. Two and a half stars.

After the movie my wife and I were talking about our favorite musical biopics. None very accurate, there have been so many if you think about it for a minute. From Jolson's The Jazz Singer to this new one from Hawke. In there are Coal Miner's Daughter, The Buddy Holly Story, Eddie Duchin Story, With a Song in My Heart … so many! My favorite is Oliver Stones' The Doors. Totally watchable and the Doors imitation was quite good if I recall. Haven't seen it in ages. That's my fav. 8-)

I'm probably with you on The Doors - but (like you) I haven't seen it in ages, probably since the early 1990s. So god knows how it's held up, and of course there's all sorts of artistic license being taken etc...
On a similar note I really liked Backbeat - again no idea how it holds up but really enjoyed it at the time and really captured something of the time and the band.
Maybe my favourite is Sex Drugs and Rock n Roll though - caught me completely by surprise.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Dec 2016, 20:37

There are plenty of entertaining ones; the problem is finding any that are true-to-life. Like the "Light My Fire" commercial in the Doors movie that never happened. The thing I enjoyed about that movie (besides Kilmer's uncanny Morrison) was how it made some sense of Morrison's lyrics.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2016, 03:56

What was the name of the Johnny Cash biopic from a few years ago. Ok, maybe it's been ten years now or close to it. I thought that was well done.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 30 Dec 2016, 10:55

Six String wrote:What was the name of the Johnny Cash biopic from a few years ago. Ok, maybe it's been ten years now or close to it. I thought that was well done.

Walk The Line? That was the first musical biopic to came to my mind.

Jimbo wrote:Just back from seeing the Chet Baker biopic Born to Be Blue starring Ethan Hawke. ...... Oh, and Hawke cannot sing well.

But neither could Chet Baker!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 31 Dec 2016, 05:53

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 31 Dec 2016, 06:12

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 31 Dec 2016, 11:51

There was a Freddy Mercury made for TV biopic on Channel 5 a few weeks back, it was all "I have bloody AIDS dahlink". Robust.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Return to “Screenadelica”