Clint Eastwoord, Director Or Actor?

..and why not?

Is Eastwood officially better at directing than acting?

Yes
20%
No
40%
That's always been the case.
40%

Total votes: 5

Dr Markus

Clint Eastwoord, Director Or Actor?

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Dec 2016, 12:56

Is Eastwood officially better at directing than acting?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Re: Clint Eastwoord, Director Or Actor?

Postby ... » 07 Dec 2016, 15:57

I think the real question that needs answering is whether CE is a better actor when directing himself or a better actor when being directed by someone else?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Dec 2016, 19:30

The academy would tell you he's a better director since he's got an Oscar. I like his films where he acts though better than the ones where he just directs. Of course, The Unforgiven is probably the best movie he ever made and he both acts and directs that one, so...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Dec 2016, 19:33

Matt Wilson wrote:The academy would tell you he's a better director since he's got an Oscar. I like his films where he acts though better than the ones where he just directs. Of course, The Unforgiven is probably the best movie he ever made and he both acts and directs that one, so...

I've a thing for gran torino. I fucking love that movie.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 07 Dec 2016, 19:37

Did he direct Thunderbolt and Lightfoot? That's my favorite Eastwood movie.
Question authority.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Dec 2016, 19:37

The Great DeFector wrote:

I like it too, but it's considerable un PCness hurts it in modern society.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Dec 2016, 19:38

Jimbo wrote:Did he direct Thunderbolt and Lightfoot? That's my favorite Eastwood movie.

Michael Cimino, who later directed The Deer Hunter, directed Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Dec 2016, 19:42

Matt Wilson wrote:

I like it too, but it's considerable un PCness hurts it in modern society.

Yeah, but at the same time that's what makes it class in my opinion. The girl in it doesn't get insulted but rather makes fun of him in a gentle way for being the way he is. He also grows himself on that front.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 08 Dec 2016, 12:17

Am I the only one who likes the Dirty Harry films. They were so cool. So many great scenes/lines.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Dec 2016, 12:18

Fonz wrote:Am I the only one who likes the Dirty Harry films. They were so cool. So many great scenes/lines.

I like them too, the latter few were watchable rather than brilliant.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Dec 2016, 12:43

I think he's always been pretty average at both. As an actor, he was good at stoical silence, looking stern, and squinting towards the top corner of the screen. As a director, he was quite good at mainstream movies which try to say something big about small town America.

The better films are generally his earlier acting roles, where being silent and squinting was a good thing.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 08 Dec 2016, 12:55

Play Misty For Me is another fave. Boy, did I relate. Breaking up with women is hard, man.
Question authority.

Postby ... » 08 Dec 2016, 13:18

Fonz wrote:Am I the only one who likes the Dirty Harry films. They were so cool. So many great scenes/lines.

I like them too, the latter few were watchable rather than brilliant.

Think the reason why the original couple of Dirty Harry movies were so good that they were directed by the great Don (Invasion of the Body Snatchers) Siegel who CE credits with teaching him everything he needed to know about working behind a camera.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Dec 2016, 13:42

Some of the insights from actors that have been directed by Eastwood are funny.

Jake gallyenal........
Asked if he could have another take, Eastwood asked him if he said all his lines correctly? gallyenal said "yeah", Eastwood just said, "then you're good".

Tom hanks
Eastwood doesn't say cut, it's "right enough of that".

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Dec 2016, 19:35

way better as an actor. I like his direction too but find him an overly frugal & cost conscious producer and he usually produces what he directs.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Dec 2016, 19:48

Figgy Goddam Pudding wrote:way better as an actor. I like his direction too but find him an overly frugal & cost conscious producer and he usually produces what he directs.

Do you really notice him cutting corners in films though?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Dec 2016, 20:02

well, I believe I can but I'm a well known crazy person.
let's take "the Unforgiven" since it's already been single out and is, I think, a film to be proud of.
some aspects of the production seem like 'on the lot' locations from any number of movies. some of the smaller roles are very well done and some aren't. the music isn't really anything special.

I think he cuts the corners as a producer and that limits how much I'll praise him as a director. it's my praise so I feel perfectly comfortable looking at it this way. p
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Dec 2016, 20:42

Here's my ratings of the Dirty Harry films:

Dirty Harry - Best of the bunch.
Magnum Force - Good sequel. It could've ended here with no problem.
The Enforcer - Not bad, but beginning to show signs of wear and tear.
Sudden Impact - Probably as good as Magnum Force. He should've stopped here.
The Dead Pool - Least of the series. He's too old as well.

Return to “Screenadelica”