Last Tango In Paris Row

..and why not?
User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40264
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Dec 2016, 16:05

fueryIre wrote:Scotsman Crothers


:lol:
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Dec 2016, 16:22

Geezee wrote:Yes, it is hilarious.

I know right. Goat boy can come out with them now and again.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Ghost of Harry Smith
Posts: 2515
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 04:43
Location: shyddney, orstralia
Contact:

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 14 Dec 2016, 22:35

Goat Boy wrote:I’m not interested in semantic debates about what “rape” is and personally I think they are very, very misplaced. The article Ghost posted summaries my perspective and that's all I've got to say really.


I feel disturbed by the state of play of contemporary media that when something like this sparks online outrage, the debate becomes horrendously one-sided, and just as disturbing is that the "other side" becomes dominated by comments from loony Mens Rights campaigners, leaving little ground for rational discussion. It seems anyone suggesting that there's no real proof of assault - that nothing more untoward happened than a director being a selfish wanker in order to get a particular reaction from his actor/s - is criticised as being complicit with rape culture, if not directly accused of being an MRA member. That's what has happened to Jack Marx, who wrote the article I posted.

As a lefty socialist who's been a feminist all my life, I'm discomforted to realise I'm on the other side of the fence (or at least balancing in the middle) when it comes to many contemporary issues. My fear is that the dogmatic stance of much of the contemporary left is a key reason for the growth in popularity of the extreme right, as more and more become frustrated with the left's refusal to accept that there may be more than one correct stance or opinion at any time.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12364
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Geezee » 15 Dec 2016, 08:16

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I’m not interested in semantic debates about what “rape” is and personally I think they are very, very misplaced. The article Ghost posted summaries my perspective and that's all I've got to say really.


I feel disturbed by the state of play of contemporary media that when something like this sparks online outrage, the debate becomes horrendously one-sided, and just as disturbing is that the "other side" becomes dominated by comments from loony Mens Rights campaigners, leaving little ground for rational discussion. It seems anyone suggesting that there's no real proof of assault - that nothing more untoward happened than a director being a selfish wanker in order to get a particular reaction from his actor/s - is criticised as being complicit with rape culture, if not directly accused of being an MRA member. That's what has happened to Jack Marx, who wrote the article I posted.

As a lefty socialist who's been a feminist all my life, I'm discomforted to realise I'm on the other side of the fence (or at least balancing in the middle) when it comes to many contemporary issues. My fear is that the dogmatic stance of much of the contemporary left is a key reason for the growth in popularity of the extreme right, as more and more become frustrated with the left's refusal to accept that there may be more than one correct stance or opinion at any time.


My take is that is primarily/probably "one-sided" because of your choice of what to read. It's like all the people on the hard left complaining about how one-sided the Western coverage of the battle for Aleppo/Syrian war is, that it's true that Aleppo has been "liberated" and a cause for celebration etc, that the "liberal MSM" are wrong to paint Russia/Iran/Assad as these monsters. At least in the media that I read, I've seen very little that is one-sided about the coverage. Similarly, on this topic, I've seen very little that is one-sided - there are people with strong feelings on both sides, yes, but that's always the case on anything like this. Even just on here, most people seem to be agreeing with you, and indeed find it all a very funny matter that can be joked about easily.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Ghost of Harry Smith
Posts: 2515
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 04:43
Location: shyddney, orstralia
Contact:

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 16 Dec 2016, 01:12

Geezee wrote:My take is that is primarily/probably "one-sided" because of your choice of what to read...Even just on here, most people seem to be agreeing with you, and indeed find it all a very funny matter that can be joked about easily.


Yeah you're right I guess, shouldn't let a handful of publications and their readers' comments get to me.

User avatar
fire and fueryIre
Posts: 8750
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: Accredited BCB Pain in the Arse

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby fire and fueryIre » 16 Dec 2016, 08:02

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
fueryIre wrote:Scotsman Crothers


:lol:



Fucking corrective typing feature, I changed that about three times...
Image

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3723
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Fonz » 16 Dec 2016, 12:35

fueryIre wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:
fueryIre wrote:Scotsman Crothers


:lol:



Fucking corrective typing feature, I changed that about three times...


What's it supposed to say?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
fire and fueryIre
Posts: 8750
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: Accredited BCB Pain in the Arse

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby fire and fueryIre » 16 Dec 2016, 12:46

Fonz wrote:
fueryIre wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:
:lol:



Fucking corrective typing feature, I changed that about three times...


What's it supposed to say?


As any fule no it's Scotsman Crowther.
Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29686
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Dec 2016, 16:47

Just watched this again last night. The gf thought the Brando character was an asshole and wondered what the girl saw in him. It was hard to disagree, but I still thought his performance was the best he ever gave. That kind of pain is extremely difficult to convey on screen. Ever see DeNiro try to cry in a film? Forget about it...
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
fire and fueryIre
Posts: 8750
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: Accredited BCB Pain in the Arse

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby fire and fueryIre » 16 Dec 2016, 16:51

K wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
K wrote:
*Insert butter joke here"


I can't believe it's not rape!

:D


Sadly the butter scene in LTIP sparked a lifelong love affair with yellow fats that would see the once adonis-like Brando's weight balloon to upwards of 360 lbs as he aged
Image

Six String
Posts: 20181
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2016, 03:34

The Great Defector wrote:I think it's more to do with her being pressured in to doing it and not brought in to the conversation to do it in the first place.



Yes, instead of asking her to perform her craft and act out the scene they chose to keep it from her in hopes of getting an unfiltered response which means she's the only one not in control. Everyone else is in on it. I can see how she felt abused.

Six String
Posts: 20181
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2016, 03:36

Matt Wilson wrote:Just watched this again last night. The gf thought the Brando character was an asshole and wondered what the girl saw in him. It was hard to disagree, but I still thought his performance was the best he ever gave. That kind of pain is extremely difficult to convey on screen. Ever see DeNiro try to cry in a film? Forget about it...


I can't help but wonder how much of that was acting and how much of it was inside of him. We'll never know of course and I could be way off base.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23774
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 31 Dec 2016, 14:56

Six String wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Just watched this again last night. The gf thought the Brando character was an asshole and wondered what the girl saw in him. It was hard to disagree, but I still thought his performance was the best he ever gave. That kind of pain is extremely difficult to convey on screen. Ever see DeNiro try to cry in a film? Forget about it...


I can't help but wonder how much of that was acting and how much of it was inside of him. We'll never know of course and I could be way off base.


There's no difference between acting and "what's inside" of a person. How else could an actor play a character other than with what they have in them?
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23774
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 31 Dec 2016, 15:09

It's a brilliant film. I take it as the work of art that it is and reject the notion that I am morally required to take sides in a debate without any clear evidence as to what may have occurred on set.

I generally tend to believe victims, and I don't dismiss Schneider's feelings of humiliation here. But I don't think that any of us are in a position to untangle this. At best, maybe a positive conversation about the ethics between actors and directors ccould result.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15633
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jan 2017, 06:34

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It's a brilliant film.


I'll just say that I remember seeing the film when it came out and left not knowing what the film was about. Too arty for my small brain, I guess.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23774
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Jan 2017, 06:25

FWIW...a few of us pontificate about it here:

/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=81129
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

Six String
Posts: 20181
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Six String » 03 Jan 2017, 19:24

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Six String wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Just watched this again last night. The gf thought the Brando character was an asshole and wondered what the girl saw in him. It was hard to disagree, but I still thought his performance was the best he ever gave. That kind of pain is extremely difficult to convey on screen. Ever see DeNiro try to cry in a film? Forget about it...


I can't help but wonder how much of that was acting and how much of it was inside of him. We'll never know of course and I could be way off base.


There's no difference between acting and "what's inside" of a person. How else could an actor play a character other than with what they have in them?


Well of course, what I was talking about was when an actor portrays someone like that with ease. Is it skill or is he just living his life in front of a camera? I don't know the answer in this instance.

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 15731
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Last Tango In Paris Row

Postby Belle Lettre » 04 Jan 2017, 12:33

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:FWIW...a few of us pontificate about it here:

/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=81129

Enjoyed rereading that!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.