At what point do you give up on shows?

..and why not?

At what point do you give up on shows?

Postby ... » 05 Dec 2016, 09:41

So much good stuff on these days (and I haven't even started exploring Walter Presents yet), that it's time to start culling stuff from my hard drive. Two most recent deletions are

While was never really a loyal watcher, used to catch the odd episode of The Walking Dead. Tuned in last week and it just seems to be the same thing as they were doing four years ago, so that's it from me Rick!

and

Westworld - got up to episode 4 and gave up when the multiple timelines started kicking in. Humans on C4 seems to cover the same ground a lot more accessibly

Geezee

Re: At what point do you give up on shows?

Postby Geezee » 05 Dec 2016, 09:50

I am appalled at myself for putting myself through the third season of The Fall, which was so awful and boring that it really didn't deserve my attention. I kept thinking "surely it must get better, there must be some kind of pay-off..."

Conversely, we recently started watching The Americans again after a 2-3 break, and initially I thought it was a million times worse than I remembered, but it's gradually upped it's game pretty well and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Postby ... » 05 Dec 2016, 09:57

Geezee wrote:I am appalled at myself for putting myself through the third season of The Fall, which was so awful and boring that it really didn't deserve my attention. I kept thinking "surely it must get better, there must be some kind of pay-off..."

Conversely, we recently started watching The Americans again after a 2-3 break, and initially I thought it was a million times worse than I remembered, but it's gradually upped it's game pretty well and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Gave up on The Fall S3 after one episode. Didn't even bother to watch Broadchurch S2 or True Detective S2 due to the uniformly awful reviews

Have you seen The Missing S2, G? It's even better than S1.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Dec 2016, 12:08

Made it through a few episodes of this season's new girl. I don't know how I survived this long, ok, it's because of the delicious Hannah simone. Anyway when Deschanel left to have her kid in real life, they replaced her with megan fox for a time. I have to say the others held the show together perfectly fine without her. If I never see Deschanel in anything else i'll be a happy man.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Dec 2016, 15:11

I have seldom decided to give up on a show; more often I just "take a break" from it, and never get around to returning.

Most recently this happened with Woody Allen's Amazon mini-series. I watched three of the six episodes, and enjoyed them very modestly. I might go back for the other three sometime, but... I just as easily might not.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2016, 21:48

I got to episode 4 of Westworld before I realised that it was bloody awful and gave up. I think I got to episode 4 or 5 of Preacher.

The only multi-season series I've actually watched through are The Wire, Game of Thrones and the Sopranos.

More and more I really do pine for the old BBC format of 6 1 hour series like Dennis Potter and Our Friends in the North. You don't really need anything more in all honesty. Even the Sopranos is too long and I think that Game of Thrones will inevitably be a disappointing ending. The Wire is different because the characters are secondary to the narrative of the city.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Dec 2016, 22:33

Probably 3 episodes in. Although I only managed one episode of Preacher, and two of True Detective.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 07 Dec 2016, 17:34

I usually give a series at least three episodes, maybe four if I'm feeling generous.
I actually got halfway through the first season of 'Mr.Robot' before I bailed. Narcos, on the other hand, just half the first episode.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 07 Dec 2016, 19:39

Phil T wrote:I usually give a series at least three episodes, maybe four if I'm feeling generous.
I actually got halfway through the first season of 'Mr.Robot' before I bailed. Narcos, on the other hand, just half the first episode.

I bailed early on with Mr Robot but liked Narcos and watched the entire series.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 08 Dec 2016, 01:46

K wrote:
Toby wrote:More and more I really do pine for the old BBC format of 6 1 hour series like Dennis Potter and Our Friends in the North. You don't really need anything more in all honesty. Even the Sopranos is too long and I think that Game of Thrones will inevitably be a disappointing ending. The Wire is different because the characters are secondary to the narrative of the city.

This. I loved Breaking Bad, and that was an amazing (what 60) set of episodes but it is rare. I usually run out of steam.I even found the Wire hard at times (although it was magic). The problem seems to be that the story is not self contained so they write and write and get into a hole and write and write and dig themselves out of the hole and...

I agree as well with Toby. I felt this in my latest Ray Donovan binge. If I am honest there are deep memes from the early shows which are just about ignored in the fourth season's shows. But also take how they ended Breaking Bad with that odd and horrible machine with which Walter finally won his battle. I kind of liked it for the noise and violence it wrought but my friend felt cheated and found it contrived.
Question authority.

Spec

Postby Spec » 08 Dec 2016, 11:04

Varies enormously.
I gave up on The Young Pope after 1 episode.
Sort of gave up on the Sopranos in the last series.
Gave up on Parks and Recreation in the last series.
New Girl in the second series.
Mr Robot after 3 episodes.
Broadchurch 2, 2 episodes

Didn't bother with 2nd series of True Detective. First series I gave up on after episode two but then went back and enjoyed it hugely.

Stuck with Westworld.
I stuck with The Americans but there was a point in season 2 when I nearly stopped. Glad I stuck with it.

I'm enjoying (that's not the right word) series 3 of The Fall. It is slow and a long way short of the first two series but there's something to it.

Depends a bit on what else is going on at the time. If I have lots of options then I'm more likely to give up. But if options are more limited then I will stick at it.

Postby ... » 08 Dec 2016, 11:19

Jimbo wrote:
K wrote:
Toby wrote:More and more I really do pine for the old BBC format of 6 1 hour series like Dennis Potter and Our Friends in the North. You don't really need anything more in all honesty. Even the Sopranos is too long and I think that Game of Thrones will inevitably be a disappointing ending. The Wire is different because the characters are secondary to the narrative of the city.

This. I loved Breaking Bad, and that was an amazing (what 60) set of episodes but it is rare. I usually run out of steam.I even found the Wire hard at times (although it was magic). The problem seems to be that the story is not self contained so they write and write and get into a hole and write and write and dig themselves out of the hole and...

I agree as well with Toby. I felt this in my latest Ray Donovan binge. If I am honest there are deep memes from the early shows which are just about ignored in the fourth season's shows. But also take how they ended Breaking Bad with that odd and horrible machine with which Walter finally won his battle. I kind of liked it for the noise and violence it wrought but my friend felt cheated and found it contrived.

Is S4 the end of Ray D, J? Certainly hope not as - along with Gotham -it's one of the most criminally underrated shows out their at the moment.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 08 Dec 2016, 13:46

I've really enjoyed both seasons of Gotham, so I hope the quality is maintained for season 3.

Btw, any fans of Sleepy Hollow here? I've watched all three extant seasons, but feel it went somewhat.... off piste for the third season.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Dec 2016, 17:08

Me getting into new shows is more of an issue since the early 2000's, at least. By that time I was mainly into surreal Cartoon Network fare and new sitcoms and dramas on network t.v. seemed the least interesting thing in the world to me. I credit "Doctor Who," "Battlestar Galactica" and especially "Game of Thrones" for getting me interested in series television again, but even now I still don't spend a lot of time actively seeking out new shows on television. I usually find out about good new series from getting recommendations on Amazon or hearing fan buzz, usually 2 or 3 seasons into the show. Recent favorites like "Community," "Archer," "Flight of the Conchords," "Bored to Death," and "Veronica Mars," I only discovered by buying the dvd's several years after the respective premieres on television.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Spec

Postby Spec » 08 Dec 2016, 18:42

[quote="fueryIre"]So much good stuff on these days (and I haven't even started exploring Walter Presents yet),/quote]

I know this isn't the question asked but my favorites so far from WP are Locked Up and Magnifica 70. Thought both were excellent even though the former was a bit clichéd

Also enjoyed Kabul Kitchen, Deutschland 83 and the French political drama (Spin? - I forget the name: the actual English translation is something like Men in the Shadows)

Postby ... » 10 Dec 2016, 18:16

Spec wrote:
fueryIre wrote:So much good stuff on these days (and I haven't even started exploring Walter Presents yet),

I know this isn't the question asked but my favorites so far from WP are Locked Up and Magnifica 70. Thought both were excellent even though the former was a bit clichéd

Also enjoyed Kabul Kitchen, Deutschland 83 and the French political drama (Spin? - I forget the name: the actual English translation is something like Men in the Shadows)

Those are the two that are first in line when I start watching WP in the New Year.

If you love foreign language shows, Spec, started a thread about them a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=131584

Return to “Screenadelica”