Good and bad book adaptations

..and why not?
Sneelock

Re: Good and bad book adaptations

Postby Sneelock » 13 Oct 2016, 18:08

I liked the Watchmen movie. they got the LOOK right and that count's for a lot. I thought it was a lot more violent than it needed to me but I feel that way about the world I live in so it's not such a big deal.

there's a Dr. Manhattan sequence that is just breathtaking.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Oct 2016, 18:09

Sneelock wrote:I liked the Watchmen movie. they got the LOOK right and that count's for a lot. I thought it was a lot more violent than it needed to me but I feel that way about the world I live in so it's not such a big deal.

The end is different though isn't it?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Oct 2016, 18:11

yeah. I don't mind. I think movies have different needs than graphic novels. it's close but not nearly as nihilistic. they emphasize different things. it's good.
uggy poopy doody.

Postby ... » 13 Oct 2016, 18:17

Sneelock wrote:I liked the Watchmen movie. they got the LOOK right and that count's for a lot. I thought it was a lot more violent than it needed to me but I feel that way about the world I live in so it's not such a big deal.

Weren't there plans to reissue the main movie with the bits about the ship (???? - sorry if I'm wrong about the sub-plot as has been ages since I read the graphic novel) added in where appropriate? Seem to recall that the biggest problem a lot of people had with the film was that Snyder had been too literal in adapting it.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Oct 2016, 18:18

Sneelock wrote:yeah. I don't mind. I think movies have different needs than graphic novels. it's close but not nearly as nihilistic. they emphasize different things. it's good.

I love the movie and it has one of my favorite movie lines of all time.

Rorschach
"I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Oct 2016, 18:19

fueryIre wrote:

Weren't there plans to reissue the main movie with the bits about the ship (???? - sorry if I'm wrong about the sub-plot as has been ages since I read the graphic novel) added in where appropriate? Seem to recall that the biggest problem a lot of people had with the film was that Snyder had been too literal in adapting it.

There was suppose to be an alien in the novel destroying the city I think.

Spec

Postby Spec » 13 Oct 2016, 19:06

Good: Fight Club
The English Patient

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 13 Oct 2016, 19:19

fueryIre wrote:
Moleskin wrote:
kath wrote:the planet of the apes

Not sure that I count the movie as an adaptation of the novel at all. It's more 'inspired by' than anything else.

Assume you are both referring to the stank and deservedly sank-without-trace Tim Burton slavish updating of the original from the mid-naughties rather than the pretty good "inspired by" pair that came out a couple of years back

Kath likes the sixties film. So do I. But I don't think it's a good adaptation of Boulle's novel. As I say, I think it's more of an inspired-by than an adaptation at all.

I also like the two recent films. Always been a fan, even read the old marvel comics.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 13 Oct 2016, 19:21

dp
Last edited by Moleskin on 13 Oct 2016, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Oct 2016, 19:21

The recent two films concentrated on the more headier subjects, while burtons was just "action adventure" shite.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 14 Oct 2016, 08:56

Spec wrote:Good: Fight Club

I know I should just leave it alone by now, but can anyone explain to me what is in any way good about Fight Club?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Oct 2016, 09:45

Dr Markus wrote:
fueryIre wrote:

There was suppose to be an alien in the novel destroying the city I think.

Kinda but not quite.

I liked the movie. It's flawed - I don't think Rorschachs depiction is right for example - but I think they did a good job.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Postby ... » 14 Oct 2016, 11:54

Geezee wrote:

I know I should just leave it alone by now, but can anyone explain to me what is in any way good about Fight Club?

There speaks a man who has obviously forgotten the first rule about Fight Club.

Postby ... » 14 Oct 2016, 11:57

Good: Great Expectations (1946) - The sublime David Lean version. Never really bettered imho

Bad: Great Expectations (1998) - The updated one where Robert DeNiro is Magwitch. Dire in every way

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 14 Oct 2016, 11:59

fueryIre wrote:
Geezee wrote:

There speaks a man who has obviously forgotten the first rule about Fight Club.

And even just that fcking quote which has seeped into public consciousness infuriates me. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 14 Oct 2016, 12:01

fueryIre wrote:
Bad: Great Expectations (1998) - The updated one where Robert DeNiro is Magwitch. Dire in every way

:D
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Oct 2016, 13:19

Well, I think Arthur C Clarke wrote some of the most tedious prose imaginable, but I'd rather read nothing but for the rest of my life than watch 2001: A Space Odyssey ever again.

And a good adaptation? Wizard of Oz.

Disney's adaptations of classic fairy tales are pretty nifty, too.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Oct 2016, 13:30

How different is the book 'fight club'?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 14 Oct 2016, 23:34

Very different from the book "Little Women".
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Oct 2016, 00:11

clive gash wrote:Very different from the book "Little Women".

Touche.

Return to “Screenadelica”