60s TV shows

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

60s TV shows

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Sep 2016, 09:29

What are your favourites? What still stands up?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Re: 60s TV shows

Postby ... » 16 Sep 2016, 09:41

Why do posters on BCB always ask questions they never answer themselves?

FWIW, aside from the inevitable Star Trek, mine - and I'm sure those of a lot of other people here - would be The Avengers and Twilight Zone (which I think started in the late 50s).
Last edited by ... on 12 Nov 2016, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Sep 2016, 09:48

The only 60s show I've seen is The Prisoner so I'm interested in what people rate from this decade because I've seen nothing else
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Postby ... » 16 Sep 2016, 09:49

Goat Boy wrote:The only 60s show I've seen is The Prisoner so I'm interested in what people rate from this decade because I've seen nothing else

Point taken. The Prisoner is a good one, too. If you like that, you might also do well to check out Danger Man which also started Patrick McGoohan whose John Drake character many people see as being No 6 in TP.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2016, 10:59

Most of the US stuff - The Twilight Zone (started in '59), Get Smart (I've only seen three episodes but it's fucking ace and I need the DVDs), Batman, The Monkees, The Addams Family, The Munsters, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (it was repeated on BBC when I was a kid and I loved it - not sure if it still stands up), The Untouchables, Naked City, Mr. Ed....loads more.

Quaco is your man for this and I hope he chimes in. But if you haven't seen The Twilight Zone then I'd start there 'cos I KNOW you'd love it, D.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Sep 2016, 11:06

Yeah, should have put "60s TV Shows - anyone else watching these?".

Guaranteed 80 pages.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2016, 11:14

NO PARTICULAR ORDER – these were all things I watched back then. Haven't got a clue which ones stand up today (apart from the few that are still on. If you are looking for drama, I'd suggest Callan out of those.

Monty Python
At Last the 1948 Show
Get Smart
Hancock
Doctor Who
The Likely Lads
Steptoe & Son
Prisoner
Danger Man
Dad's Army
Callan
The Wednesday Play
Match of the Day
Flintstones
Beverley Hillbillies
Wagon Train
Maverick
Twilight Zone
Rawhide
77 Sunset Strip
Laugh-In
Dick van Dyke Show
Top of the Pops
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Sep 2016, 11:21

Outfee and Lime wrote:Most of the US stuff - The Twilight Zone (started in '59), Get Smart (I've only seen three episodes but it's fucking ace and I need the DVDs), Batman, The Monkees, The Addams Family, The Munsters, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (it was repeated on BBC when I was a kid and I loved it - not sure if it still stands up), The Untouchables, Naked City, Mr. Ed....loads more.

Quaco is your man for this and I hope he chimes in. But if you haven't seen The Twilight Zone then I'd start there 'cos I KNOW you'd love it, D.

I've been meaning to buy The Twilight Zone for ages. I know it's the kinda thing that's up my street. In fact I'll buy season one after I've finished rewatching the Prisoner.

I did watch episodes of the Monkees and Batman as a kid but I don't recall either particularly well. I suspect the kitsch knowing campness of Batman would probably appeal now whereas as a kid I just thought it was silly.

Mel Brooks worked on Get Smart, right? I should watch some clips, I'm sure there must be episodes online. Of course the thing with American shows is there are 30 odd a season so there's loads of the damn things!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Sep 2016, 11:25

Dad's Army.
Whatever happened to the Likely Lads
Python
The Man from UNCLE (only as a kid)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2016, 11:27

Yeah - if you haven't watched the TV Python recently then I'd watch the whole lot again. It's a blast.

Goat Boy wrote:I did watch episodes of the Monkees and Batman as a kid but I don't recall either particularly well. I suspect the kitsch knowing campness of Batman would probably appeal now whereas as a kid I just thought it was silly.

I watched the Monkees pilot last night and laughed like a drain. I really want to see the whole lot now (I also watched them as a kid).

Goat Boy wrote:Mel Brooks worked on Get Smart, right?

He did, yeah. Your guarantee of quality, right there!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2016, 11:48

Outfee and Lime wrote:I watched the Monkees pilot last night and laughed like a drain. I really want to see the whole lot now (I also watched them as a kid).

You can add The Monkees and Batman to my list, too. And most iterations of The Avengers.

I'm surprised that in that decade there are more comedy shows I remember than others.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2016, 11:51

Toby wrote:Whatever happened to the Likely Lads
The Man from UNCLE (only as a kid)

I love Whatever happened... but it debuted in 1973

And the Man from Uncle was sometimes as (unintentionally) funny as Get Smart.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Sep 2016, 15:59

I think most Americans my age grew up watching after school reruns of all or most of the following:

Gilligan's Island
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched
Batman
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Lost in Space
Star Trek
Get Smart

Some of them (Lost in Space, Batman) still have some camp appeal, I suppose. Addams Family (which I only watched as an adult) is actually quite good.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2016, 16:12

I like the dopey humour of stuff like The Addams Family and The Monkees. It seems everyone is trying to be so damned clever and witty today - it's refreshing to see someone get knocked out by a flying giraffe statue or something.

Flower

Postby Flower » 16 Sep 2016, 22:04

Some that come to mind ....

The Avengers
Combat
Have Gun - Will Travel
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Star Trek
Chiller Theatre
Creature Features
Checkmate
Hawaiian Eye
Hogan's Heroes
Ben Casey
It Takes a Thief
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Saint
Gidget
The Patty Duke Show
The Rat Patrol
That Girl
The Fugitive
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 16 Sep 2016, 22:12

The Avengers would be my pick. Witty, stylish and full of fetishistic touches that the censor just didn't notice.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Sep 2016, 22:45

pcqgod wrote:I think most Americans my age grew up watching after school reruns of all or most of the following:

Gilligan's Island
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched
Batman
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Lost in Space
Star Trek
Get Smart

Some of them (Lost in Space, Batman) still have some camp appeal, I suppose. Addams Family (which I only watched as an adult) is actually quite good.

I sure did.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Sep 2016, 22:45

pcqgod wrote:I think most Americans my age grew up watching after school reruns of all or most of the following:

Gilligan's Island
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched
Batman
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Lost in Space
Star Trek
Get Smart

I sure did. You forgot McHale's Navy.

Bewitched was a family favorite in our house.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 16 Sep 2016, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Sep 2016, 22:47

Outfee and Lime wrote:[i]The Untouchables

I have a friend who says, "Rico, Youngfellow," and I know exactly that he's referring to Robert Stack calling out to his other FBI agents.

It's also hard to believe that the Flintstones was on at primetime.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2016, 23:05

I could probably write a lot more about this, but I wanted to say how magical the USA was to me as a kid - or at least my idea of it. Many of those shows just added to the appeal. I had the idea that it was a land where everyone was at play, and everything was strange, and colourful. Or something. It's difficult to put into words. Actually there might not have been anything that's possible to explain at all - it was just a sort of feeling.

I used to go straight to the back of the Marvel comics my cousin used to get sent mail-order, just to read those small ads.

And this, along with MAD magazine and all those nutcase shows - kids running around saying silly things, and talking horses, and earnest black-and-white sci-fi and cop shows and comedies with incomprehensible catchphrases and loads of canned laughter, really fired my imagination.

Return to “Screenadelica”