Stranger Things

..and why not?
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Stranger Things

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jan 2018, 19:59

Toby wrote:I'm enjoying it 4 episodes in, even if it's basically the netflix equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries.

Just finished the first season and I agree.

Scrutinizing the series for period verisimilitude rather misses the point. Things like the Evil Dead poster are just a wink to the audience; the thing doesn't hang on whether it's credible that an actual American teen in the 80s would have had that on his wall. Likewise the soundtrack. They're just having fun. It's not as though the big brother were listening to The Slits and The Raincoats.

I was kind of surprised more wasn't made of Matthew Modine. Prosthetic hair aside, it was a lost opportunity to have a fun and engaging villain in the proceedings, but the script didn't really give him much to work with.

I thought the "upside down" town was really handled wonderfully well and the kids were great, especially that 11 girl.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

pcqgod

Re: Stranger Things

Postby pcqgod » 29 Jan 2018, 21:54

i finished season 1 yesterday. It's an enjoyable enough series, but it's hard for me to get past the hoary comic book cliches the story is built on. There were some good, tension-filled moments, but not enough surprises. The 80's setting just seems an excuse to fill the soundtrack with a bunch of popular 80's new wave classics for nostalgic effect.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?