Coogan/Partridge or Gervais/Brent - which is more limited by their defining character?

..and why not?

Coogan/Partridge or Gervais/Brent - which is more limited by their defining character?

Postby ... » 31 May 2016, 18:19

Normally like AP and think Mid-morning Matters was pretty good, but watching Scissored Isle last night, couldn't help but feel the character's comic potential and appeal are beginning to wear a bit threadbare because of over-exposure (in addition to MMM, there's been two x TV specials and a movie in the last couple of years alone).

Like SC, RG seems incapable of doing more than play the same character pretty much over and over again (maybe it's just the flat, unvarying fashion in which the pair of them deliver their lines regardless of what character they're playing or film/show they're in - just watch SC in Philomena or that Paul Raymod biopic or Gervais in Ghost Town or Invention of Lying to see what I mean). The David Brent movie would seem to indicate RG has begun to accept his limitations and give the public what they want.

Anyone agree or disagree?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Coogan/Partridge or Gervais/Brent - which is more limited by their defining character?

Postby clive gash » 01 Jun 2016, 10:19

"This Scissored Isle" was wonderful. I can't think of another comic creation as finely detailed as Partridge. The autobiography (and the Gibbons brothers input) has deepened and detailed Alan's psychology beautifully, he's a different character now. We've had, what, 30 hours of material over 30 years. Hardly overkill.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Re: Coogan/Partridge or Gervais/Brent - which is more limited by their defining character?

Postby Belle Lettre » 01 Jun 2016, 20:40

Yes, his turn at the checkout was excellent.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 02 Jun 2016, 10:56

I loved his post-come down interview with the mayor.
:D

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 14 Jun 2016, 02:20

Just watched it. It was genuinely odd in so many ways. There was no consistency of tone or character at all. They tried to cram so much in.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

jl

Postby jl » 02 Aug 2016, 16:21

Gervais is Brent, that's his limit anyway.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Aug 2016, 22:23

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 11 Aug 2016, 18:30

The difference is that Alan Partridge is funny and David Brent isn't. I'd never tire of twatting Ricky Gervais in the face with a wok.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 11 Aug 2016, 22:28

The difference is that when Partridge is a bit unfunny, you can like the hints of amenable Steve Coogan underneath, whereas when Brent is unfunny, you are just left despising Richie Gervais and hoping he does get wokked in the face.

borofan

Postby borofan » 12 Aug 2016, 16:59

Graham Murakami wrote:The difference is that when Partridge is a bit unfunny, you can like the hints of amenable Steve Coogan underneath, whereas when Brent is unfunny, you are just left despising Richie Gervais and hoping he does get wokked in the face.

Exactly what I would have posted if I'd got here first. Gervais is genuinely loathsome.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 12 Aug 2016, 17:37

I hated both of them, cringe comedy is just boring to me.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 12 Aug 2016, 18:56

Dr Markus wrote:I hated both of them, cringe comedy is just boring to me.

I'm not much of a fan either. I liked The Office when it first came out but I didn't find it particularly funny. The whole Partridge thing leaves me completely cold. I really don't get it. The character is a grotesque and for that kind of thing to work, it should be believable.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 12 Aug 2016, 19:40

Johnny Fartpants wrote:The difference is that Alan Partridge is funny and David Brent isn't. I'd never tire of twatting Ricky Gervais in the face with a wok.

See also Miranda Hart. Although I would have to ask a woman to do the wokking for the sake of political correctness.

Return to “Screenadelica”