Preacher - Amazon Prime

..and why not?
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Preacher - Amazon Prime

Postby Neil Jung » 25 May 2016, 22:10

Just watched the first episode. Quite liked it. It had quite a few disparate strands that will presumably coalesce in coming weeks. It was fairly violent and gory in bursts but regular viewers of the likes of Walking Dead and GoT won't worry. It will appeal to those who enjoyed Fargo, Daredevil, Walking Thrones etc. I'm looking at you Yomptepi.
“Erratic associate member”

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Preacher - Amazon Prime

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jun 2016, 16:59

Watched the first two episodes. gripping stuff so far, although I am not entirely sure what is going on. I have the first five or six of the comic book, but it was a long time ago. Maybe I'll dig them out. But Garth Ennis has always told a great story, and I love how the characters have had their look closely based on Glen Fabry's artwork. The airplane scene was particularly great.
You don't like me...do you?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Jul 2016, 17:22

Couple of blokes at work have recommended this, so I'll give it a go once I have finished Bosch - which I'm slightly disappointed by.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Jul 2016, 19:56

I liked series one of Bosch, and series 2 was OK, but it did get a vague at times. I kept forgetting what the main story arc was.

We are really enjoying Spotless. It takes a couple of episodes to get going, but we are nearing the end and it is thrilling!

We also started orphan Black, which is being interesting enough. Dark matter is pretty poor though...
You don't like me...do you?

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 11 Jul 2016, 08:01

I tried Spotless but decided the shock and gore factor was too high and gave up after a few minutes.

Orphan Black we've watched all 4 series. It gets harder and harder to follow but is entertaining enough.

Really enjoyed Blindspot, which has now gone from Now tv.
“Erratic associate member”

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 11 Jul 2016, 13:31

I really liked Bosch. But I'm a big fan of the books, which may help. Titus Welliver nailed the character. I thought S2 was better than thr first; less cluttered, less exposition.

Preacher is glorious madness. I have no idea what's going on but I'm enjoying it all. Great blend of humour and the macabre, and it's filmed beautifully. There are some iffy accents though. And Dominic Cooper is very limited.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 11 Jul 2016, 15:16

Fireplug wrote:I really liked Bosch. But I'm a big fan of the books, which may help. Titus Welliver nailed the character. I thought S2 was better than thr first; less cluttered, less exposition.

Oh, I love the books too, and he is perfectly cast. I suppose I'm disappointed in that I find the tv series lacks some of the momentum/pace of the books.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 11 Jul 2016, 17:24

Polishgirl wrote:
Fireplug wrote:I really liked Bosch. But I'm a big fan of the books, which may help. Titus Welliver nailed the character. I thought S2 was better than thr first; less cluttered, less exposition.

Oh, I love the books too, and he is perfectly cast. I suppose I'm disappointed in that I find the tv series lacks some of the momentum/pace of the books.

In my mind's eye he had a moustache. One star deducted. :|
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 11 Jul 2016, 17:51

They do have a nod to the 'tache in season 2 when he's shaving his beard off. Welliver's too chunky too, but he still gets the essence of the character.

As for pace, I quite liked the way the story was allowed to unfold. It's a benefit of the streaming format. I'm a fan of binge watching these things though, which sort of replicates the keen page-turning experience.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Jul 2016, 08:02

I loved Bosch both series. I think Titus pretty much nails Harry.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Return to “Screenadelica”