Rogue One trailer

..and why not?
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Rogue One trailer

Postby Toby » 11 Apr 2016, 17:37

Rumour has it Vader will feature in this film.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Apr 2016, 17:42

K wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Many Bothans will die.

That was Return of the Jedi. This is to do with Death Star I.

Nerd alert! :)
Last edited by pcqgod on 11 Apr 2016, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 11 Apr 2016, 17:43

Toby wrote:Rumour has it Vader will feature in this film.

He has to!
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 11 Apr 2016, 17:44

pcqgod wrote:Nerd alert! :)

You better believe it.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Apr 2016, 13:10

Does it have to be about the Death Star again? Why didn't they take the opportunity to bring in the earlier prototypes, The Dead-Leg Star, or the Paper-Cut Star?
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 12 Apr 2016, 17:27

I love true nerdism:

On theforce.net super nerd 'SlashMan' wrote:One minor nitpick was the construction of the Death Star we see. In ROTJ and ROTS, we see an incomplete Death Star relatively stationary because we can't physically see the progress being made on such a massive structure. But here, we see the plate for the superlaser being snapped into place all at once.
I mean, I've heard criticisms that the superlaser was already being built in Episode III, but that's not an issue here; we only see the framework in Episode III, while Episode VI shows that the weapons functionality is usually the last thing implemented.

I don't think it was adjusted at all, because that would infer that it was previously used; according to Episode IV, Alderaan was the first test of the weapon. My nitpick before was only about how implausible it seemed that a huge plate was being snapped in at one time. If you look at the original matte, you can see lines and seams that would suggest how it was put together. I guess it could've been assembled elsewhere... but why?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 18 Dec 2016, 17:16

I saw this today. It was very good.

At some point I think overkill will set in, with all the proposed spin-offs and series etc, but this one was definitely worthwhile. It felt grittier, more down-to-earth in a way, as befits a spin-off, even one with huge explosions and space battles and galaxytrotting action (the opening fifteen minutes were like a travelogue of the Star Wars Universe with sixty-second features for every planet!). There's a good focus on the characters rather than the action, with only the final sequence - oddly reminiscent of Second World War films - being a really big setpiece (and coming just in time to stop the film flagging), and therefore it's a real credit to the cast: it's the actors who make this one work. Felicity Jones is fiery and frustrated, a real person thrown into the galactic madness; Diego Luna is weary but determined, again like a WWII resistance fighter; Alan Tudyk a very darkly deadpan droid; and Ben Mendehlson is a persuasive villain, power-hungry but all too aware that he's just one of many circling sharks.
There's no real Force stuff going on - brief Vader appearance, Donnie Wen is a kind of semi-Jedi character - and I can imagine pedantic nerds like the one K quoted will find a lot to moan about, but for the average fan there's a lot to enjoy.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 18 Dec 2016, 18:59

Well, it was great, especially the last third. Don't really want to post the major spoilers but there were some great moments.
I agree with Penk about the WW2 movie feel and I thought it worked. We were deeply inside the battle.
Interestingly the chatter in need circles is that it has very few 'star wars canon' flaws.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 18 Dec 2016, 20:29

By the way I liked the cameo appearances of Bael Organa, C3PO and R2D2 and I loved watching Vader just batter the rebel soldiers to kingdom come at the end and the way it tied into the start of episode 4 and I quite liked the CGI Peter Cushing - totally unexpected, and I got used to it quite easily. Not so sure about the CGI Carrie Fisher, though

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 18 Dec 2016, 20:49

It was ace. Had the devil of a job convincing my daughter that Peter Cushing has been dead for years.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 18 Dec 2016, 21:24

Ha ha. I can understand that. The other other thing I liked was the old star wars tradition of spotting great English character actors in minor roles. I saw Andy de la Tour and half a second of Simon Farnaby from Horrible Histories (my kids don't believe me). Angus Wright who was in the last series of Peep Show. Geraldine James. And Daniel Mays (that one was fairly obvious)

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Dec 2016, 21:32

I watched it yesterday. It is clearly now the first SW film to be influenced my modern day urban warfare in the Middle East. Grittier...sure, but still somewhat glosses over the nastier aspects of war, and winds up being a slaughter of hapless Stormtroopers who seem easier to kill than ever. I mean, just point a blaster in their direction....
Only one character gets a back-story, and that's the main character. The backstory and main story, all standard stuff, nothing too surprising. I was also hoping for some deeper ruminations about war and rebellion than statements like "rebellions are based on hope."

Vader's first appearance just disappointed, although the final scene made up for that. The new droid character was fun. I give it a B minus, overall. Worth watching if you're a Star Wars fan, because it's so obviously targeted to them with the zillions of references to the previous movies. Which leads me to the conclusion that the reason so many of the sequels have been so disappointing is that they all rely so heavily on concepts introduced in the original.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 18 Dec 2016, 21:51

pcqgod wrote:...Which leads me to the conclusion that the reason so many of the sequels have been so disappointing is that they all rely so heavily on concepts introduced in the original.

Isn't that the point of sequels?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Dec 2016, 16:10

K wrote:
pcqgod wrote:...Which leads me to the conclusion that the reason so many of the sequels have been so disappointing is that they all rely so heavily on concepts introduced in the original.

Isn't that the point of sequels?

I probably should have written "...rely too heavily on concepts introduced in the original." Obviously, sequels are based on a previous story, but ideally they have their own original elements, whether in story, characters, setting, etc. When I saw the first Star Wars as a boy I had my eyes opened to this incredible unimagined and seemingly limitless universe. After 'The Empire Strikes Back,' it seemed the Star Wars universe, rather than seeming limitless, started to shrink. We kept going back to Tatooine. There was another all-desert planet in the last movie. The Death Star keeps coming back in new or old incarnations. In 'Rouge One,' the main character lives on a moisture farm exactly like the one Luke lived in, down to little details like the blue milk. I know that seeing stuff like this gives hardcore SW fans the warm fuzzies, and I'm not immune to the nostalgia factor, and the sense that there is a consistent, established universe is always a good thing for this kind of fiction. It just seems that there could be a bit more originality, here and there.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 22 Dec 2016, 22:41

To be fair, it takes place in a galaxy, and not the universe. Could just be a really small galaxy, is all.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 23 Dec 2016, 13:19

Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jan 2017, 18:52

Belle Lettre wrote:It was ace. Had the devil of a job convincing my daughter that Peter Cushing has been dead for years.

Ha, ha - Derek didn't realize he was CGI either.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jan 2017, 18:53

pcqgod wrote:I watched it yesterday. It is clearly now the first SW film to be influenced my modern day urban warfare in the Middle East. Grittier...sure, but still somewhat glosses over the nastier aspects of war, and winds up being a slaughter of hapless Stormtroopers who seem easier to kill than ever. I mean, just point a blaster in their direction....
Only one character gets a back-story, and that's the main character. The backstory and main story, all standard stuff, nothing too surprising. I was also hoping for some deeper ruminations about war and rebellion than statements like "rebellions are based on hope."

Vader's first appearance just disappointed, although the final scene made up for that. The new droid character was fun. I give it a B minus, overall. Worth watching if you're a Star Wars fan, because it's so obviously targeted to them with the zillions of references to the previous movies. Which leads me to the conclusion that the reason so many of the sequels have been so disappointing is that they all rely so heavily on concepts introduced in the original.

Can't argue too much with any of that.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Jan 2017, 10:00

The music wasn't very good. Apart from that, I thought it was a great Star Wars film and not much else. The Droid was by far the best thing about it, alongside the continual nods to the Star Wars universe via ships old and new and characters (such as Dr Evazan) that repeatedly fired synaptic pellets of nostalgic pleasure into my brain.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jan 2017, 10:24

I really enjoyed it. Yeah, it’s a straightforward Dirty Dozen style war movie but it ticks all the boxes and deepened the story nicely. I mean you know the empire are Evil and the rebellion is on the edge but not quite this much on the edge. The highlight for me was the rush towards the end of the movie as it segues into A New Hope. That made me go a bit tingly. I think they handled that really well and of course Vadar in the tunnel is the highlight of the whole movie. Total badass and there’s real desperation from the rebels there. The dude shouting “help us!”, the door ajar just enough to hand the disc through, the dude shouting “launch!”, Vadar staring out into space. So close yet so far. Great stuff!

I did find the CGI Cushing slightly jarring I have to say. The Carrie Fisher one less so. I’m not sure they needed to show Leia’s face though. It might have been nice to just see the disc being handed over or something. Any fan recognises the dress, we know what’s going on and the significance of it. It’s a huge moment in the saga of course and seeing what came before and then seeing the moment from a new angle was nice. Like I said, there was a real rush there, like watching history unfold but from a fresh perspective.

I’ll go and see it again soon.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you