The Hateful Eight

..and why not?
User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20666
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Jeemo » 01 Jan 2016, 19:19

Matt Wilson wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:His films have been ponderous for quite some time now. What he needs is a good editor.


Said that on fb last night.


Most of my utterances which pass for credibility I got from you, Jeemo.


:lol:

And a Happy New Year to you Matt. Hope it all turns around for you. Take care.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29531
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Jan 2016, 23:04

Saw it today. I'm sure the experience of seeing it in 70MM was better than watching a pirate DVD or on your phone. Was it overlong? Yes. Too talky? Yes. But I still enjoyed it. I knew exactly what to expect going in and I wasn't disappointed.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 46313
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby The Slider » 03 Jan 2016, 00:17

Matt Wilson wrote: I'm sure the experience of seeing it in 70MM was better than watching a pirate DVD or on your phone.


Possibly
But it won't have improved the script or the pacing.

I watched the last two hours on my tv, by the way.
It made no improvement to the first hour
The Complete Pink Floyd Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20666
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Jeemo » 15 Jan 2016, 00:43

I bet Quentin in crying into his Stetson after the nominations for the Oscars were announced.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3657
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Fonz » 15 Jan 2016, 07:09

I enjoyed it.
Some good dialogue, great comic violence, and Walton Goggins' winning smile.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
F.o.W
Posts: 394
Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:46
Location: High Wycombe

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby F.o.W » 08 Feb 2016, 18:53

Jeemo wrote:oh and n****r is used a lot, but thats ok as QT is black.


Really? :roll:
Overlong first hour, then excellent.
His last film apparently. He's going into writing.
Can't understand the critics, Tarantino is Tarantino, admittedly this is QT by numbers. But did you expect anything else?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46899
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Quaco » 08 Feb 2016, 19:40

https://reverb.com/blog/cf-martin-respo ... -eight-set

This is an incredibly stupid story on both sides. Martin didn't assign a person to be on set?? Tarantino didn't tell Russell to switch guitars, or, worse, did this deliberately??
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20666
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Jeemo » 08 Feb 2016, 20:03

F.o.W wrote:
Jeemo wrote:oh and n****r is used a lot, but thats ok as QT is black.


Really? :roll:
Overlong first hour, then excellent.
His last film apparently. He's going into writing.
Can't understand the critics, Tarantino is Tarantino, admittedly this is QT by numbers. But did you expect anything else?


The problem with QT for me Matt is that after such s promising beginning as a writer/director. He has now settled for making megamixes of his favourite movies. He has much more talent than this but badly needs an editor and someone to say No to him now and again.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
F.o.W
Posts: 394
Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:46
Location: High Wycombe

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby F.o.W » 08 Feb 2016, 20:16

Jeemo wrote:
F.o.W wrote:
Jeemo wrote:oh and n****r is used a lot, but thats ok as QT is black.


Really? :roll:
Overlong first hour, then excellent.
His last film apparently. He's going into writing.
Can't understand the critics, Tarantino is Tarantino, admittedly this is QT by numbers. But did you expect anything else?


The problem with QT for me Matt is that after such s promising beginning as a writer/director. He has now settled for making megamixes of his favourite movies. He has much more talent than this but badly needs an editor and someone to say No to him now and again.

Granted, I thought Hateful 8 over long. But beyond that, I loved it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it.

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12312
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Ranking Ted » 10 Dec 2016, 15:37

I watched it last night. Self indulgent, over long, full of needless racial badinage, one scene of quite presposterous offensiveness, far too much meandering repetitive dialogue, the inevitable different perspective time shift, self conscious referencing of cult cinema, ludicrous ultra violence and so on. So, completely in line with what I expected and no worse for it. Like it or not, that's what he now does. And it's a blast - OTT entertainment in an era of CGI, franchises and remakes at the multiplex. We may mourn what he didn't become after Jackie Brown but we should also be grateful he's still making movies as clearly imprinted with his stamp as this.
Last edited by Ranking Ted on 10 Dec 2016, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 791
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby driftin » 10 Dec 2016, 15:56

Hateful film. The worst traits of Tarantino stretched into a 3 hour long mess.

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12312
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Ranking Ted » 10 Dec 2016, 16:00

driftin wrote:The worst traits of Tarantino stretched into a 3 hour long mess.

I can't disagree at all. But I loved it. Maybe I just needed that after nothing but reality or kids tv for the last month.

User avatar
Ghost of Harry Smith
Posts: 2455
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 04:43
Location: shyddney, orstralia
Contact:

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 14 Dec 2016, 22:47

Ranking Ted wrote:
driftin wrote:The worst traits of Tarantino stretched into a 3 hour long mess.

I can't disagree at all. But I loved it. Maybe I just needed that after nothing but reality or kids tv for the last month.


I concur, I can agree that it's Tarantino on auto-pilot but I still really enjoyed it. Maybe I just like a bad ass ultraviolent western.

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12037
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: The Hateful Eight

Postby Sneelock » 14 Dec 2016, 22:55

I might agree but I have some problems with that one too. it's an altogether more character driven film than Hateful 8.
With Hateful 8, I get that he was trying to set up the big release of violence at the end (like the Wild Bunch or something) but it didn't really work for me.
there is a VERY talky & meandering hour at least in there. the actors, as always, do a very good job breathing life into their roles but I think there's a lot less on the page than you usually find in Q.T's films. I think J.J. Leigh and (of course) Samuel Jackson are especially good.

I'd give it 3 out of 10 possible poisoned cups of coffee.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass