The Force Awakens spoiler thread

..and why not?
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: The Force Awakens spoiler thread

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Dec 2015, 01:18

I just saw it and I mostly really enjoyed it. I will probably see it again on the big screen and I definitely look forward to the next one.

But Markus is right. It's very nearly the exact same fucking movie as the first one (or IV or whatever it's called). Now there are good enough reasons for this and it sets things up nicely and history repeats itself in Star Wars and I certainly enjoyed it and all the rest. But come on.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Dec 2015, 17:49

Dr Markus wrote:Do people really think the dude playing the Kylo Ren was good?

No. I can't stand Adam Driver. I don't like him in Girls and I didn't like him in this. He's very unlikeable to me, but I can't really tell you why.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Dec 2015, 18:35

I thought he was excellent. I think he;s gonna be a great villain
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Dec 2015, 18:53

He's too nerdy or something.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 25 Dec 2015, 15:15

Just back and it was a pretty pretty pretty good movie. Spoiler? It looks like Luke Skywalker has spent his lost years drinking. Geez, did you see his face?

A lot of little things wrong with the film, especially how they present exits from sticky wickets. "Oh, how will we extricate ourselves from this version of certain doom?" Cut to exterior. "That was close."

I give it 4 stars.
Question authority.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Dec 2015, 17:22

Jimbo wrote:Just back and it was a pretty pretty pretty good movie. Spoiler? It looks like Luke Skywalker has spent his lost years drinking. Geez, did you see his face?

I thought for one moment that Oliver Reed had come back from the dead. Pity he never appeared in a Star Wars film, he could certainly have livened 'em up a little.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 25 Dec 2015, 17:31

And the bad guy, the new Darth Vader, was he the weakest and most inept Star Wars character ever? Try as he might to get Po or Ray to give up the secret, whether it be by outright torture or mind meld, he failed. The Big Cheese guy in the Abraham Lincoln throne should have crushed him after his first failure but instead let him go on making mistake after mistake. And what the hell did he need with the Darth Vader type helmet and vocoder? He took off the helmet and it was just a nebishy Jewish looking guy. Nice schnoz "Benny."
Question authority.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Dec 2015, 17:35

Er - the entire point of the character was that he was trying to be Darth Vader but was revealed to be an angry, conflicted kid.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 25 Dec 2015, 17:42

PENK wrote:Er - the entire point of the character was that he was trying to be Darth Vader but was revealed to be an angry, conflicted kid.

Well, they were selling DV gear in the lobby. Is that where poor conflicted, jumped up to the no.1 spot on the weapon platform thing get his?

Re his Jewish appearance, if he is the son of XXX XXXX and XXXXXXXX XXXX, then he got his looks from Eddie Fisher. This should go into my miscasting thread. Or, he could have the Rick Moranis part in Space Balls.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 26 Dec 2015, 04:23

The more I think about it the more I am thinking the new Star Wars movie is a piece of crap. Vapid, sentimental, unscientific, wooden performances, especially from Ford and Fisher, too cute by a mile with those bots, yuk! Technically it is awesome but then judging from the movie previews, one of which is the new Captain America, movie making has made an enormous leap when it comes to special effects and so this Star Wars movie is just one of many computer generated modern miracles. Save your money, stay home and watch Space Balls on YouTube.
Question authority.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Dec 2015, 13:38

Jimbo wrote:The more I think about it the more I am thinking the new Star Wars movie is a piece of crap. Vapid, sentimental, unscientific, wooden performances, especially from Ford and Fisher, too cute by a mile with those bots, yuk!

That's true for ALL Star Wars movies!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Dec 2015, 22:43

I thought this one had the best acting yet!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 27 Dec 2015, 00:43

Stille Baron wrote:I just saw it and I mostly really enjoyed it. I will probably see it again on the big screen and I definitely look forward to the next one.

But Markus is right. It's very nearly the exact same fucking movie as the first one (or IV or whatever it's called). Now there are good enough reasons for this and it sets things up nicely and history repeats itself in Star Wars and I certainly enjoyed it and all the rest. But come on.

Given that Hitchcock invariably made the same movie over and over, I'm not really that fussed about it being redone.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Dec 2015, 01:26

PENK wrote:Er - the entire point of the character was that he was trying to be Darth Vader but was revealed to be an angry, conflicted kid.

Who did what Darth Vader and the Empire weren't able to do - kill Han Solo.

It's an obvious twist on Luke trying to save Vader/Anikin. The young Solo made his choice to the dark side.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Dec 2015, 23:14

Jeemo wrote:
Stille Baron wrote:I just saw it and I mostly really enjoyed it. I will probably see it again on the big screen and I definitely look forward to the next one.

Given that Hitchcock invariably made the same movie over and over, I'm not really that fussed about it being redone.

Did he?
I'm not sure it's the same at all, but I'm not terribly fussed either. Mildly annoyed, at best. I'll happily see it again.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Dec 2015, 23:32

Stille Baron wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Did he?
I'm not sure it's the same at all, but I'm not terribly fussed either. Mildly annoyed, at best. I'll happily see it again.

The 39 Steps, Innocent Man accused of crime, initial evidence shows him to be guilty, goes on the run.
Saboteur, Innocent Man accused of crime, initial evidence shows him to be guilty, goes on the run
Strangers on A Train, Innocent Man accused of crime, initial evidence shows him to be guilty, plays tennis
The Wrong Man, Innocent Man accused of crime, initial evidence shows him to be guilty, frets a bit
Spellbound, Innocent Man accused of crime, initial evidence shows him to be guilty, dreams by Dali
Stage Fright, variation on a theme.
I Confess, Innocent Man accused of crime, knows true murderer, says Mass.
North By Northwest,Innocent Man accused of crime, initial evidence shows him to be guilty, takes the train
Frenzy, Innocent Man accused of crime, initial evidence shows him to be guilty, has a drink

I wasn't totally serious but.....
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Dec 2015, 23:50

Goat Boy wrote:I thought this one had the best acting yet!

Most definitely, but that's not really saying a whole hell of a lot.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Dec 2015, 01:59

Machuki Fideles wrote:

I borrowed a great book about '70s directors and Lucas was one of them.

His actors hated his Star Wars dialogue - even though it worked pretty well on the screen.

You have to remember though, Lucas's inspiration were old Flash Gordon serials.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Dec 2015, 10:16

Machuki Fideles wrote:

Maybe not but I thought the new guys were excellent. Both leads were especially good and they actually had chemistry between them which bodes well for the future. The dude had a lightness of touch and handled the comic stuff rather well. I’ve seen some people criticising Adam Driver but I thought he made a more interesting villain than you usually get in these things and I think with Solo now dispatched he’s gonna step up and be especially bad to the bone. His physicality and voice were very good as Kylo Ren and I thought he handled the Ben stuff well too. Now if only Carrie Fisher can only loosen her face a little after all that surgery we could be cooking with gas.

I agree that it was somewhat disappointing that it was basically a rehash of a New Hope. I mean, that’s the third Death Star planet blowing up thingy that’s been destroyed now. But it was brilliantly done (mostly) however they need to stretch out and do something new next time but they know that and considering what Abrams, Kasdan and the director have said already it looks like they are planning on doing something different. I really can’t wait, it could be great and there’s lots of possibilities.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Dec 2015, 17:51

Goat Boy wrote:
Machuki Fideles wrote:

Maybe not but I thought the new guys were excellent. Both leads were especially good and they actually had chemistry between them which bodes well for the future. The dude had a lightness of touch and handled the comic stuff rather well. I’ve seen some people criticising Adam Driver but I thought he made a more interesting villain than you usually get in these things and I think with Solo now dispatched he’s gonna step up and be especially bad to the bone. His physicality and voice were very good as Kylo Ren and I thought he handled the Ben stuff well too. Now if only Carrie Fisher can only loosen her face a little after all that surgery we could be cooking with gas.

Agree with everything you said, even about Driver. I just don't like the guy, but I thought he was good and actually provided lots of nuance in the role.

It's always bad for a movie when you almost feel bad for the bad guy - but it's good acting.

Return to “Screenadelica”