Binge Watching

..and why not?
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Binge Watching

Postby Jimbo » 13 Jan 2016, 05:43

Just getting hooked on Daredevil. OMG, it is positively Shakespearian and baroque and ... what a TV show! No holds barred on the violence either.
Question authority.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 14 Jan 2016, 19:55

We've binged through Jessica Jones, Daredevil and tonight we finish Mr Robot. Really enjoyed all three.

Previously also loved Bosch and Bloodline. How Ben Mendelson didn't win a Golden Globe for his performance is a mystery. He was light years better than Christian Slater.
[indistinct chatter]

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 15 Jan 2016, 00:05

The Americans Season 3. Great stuff.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 19 Jan 2016, 00:54

Did five episodes of Fargo season 2. It is really good. Hardly recognized the guy from Burn Notice. He makes an excellent and frightening heavy.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 19 Jan 2016, 23:34

Finished up Fargo last night. It's hit me that that show is a comedy, or at least there are a lot of funny bits not to mention that a fair number of cast members are actual comedians. Also, more than a police procedural Fargo is an old fashioned western where they drive pickup trucks all around the tundra and not horses. And I like good westerns., But what a web of crime the show portrayed and how it was finally resolved (almost). I did enjoy the violence, the sudden gunshots to the head of any number of characters. What bugged me was how the police allowed criminal characters to go in the face of wrong doing. Seemed unrealistic, or maybe not. Based on how I feel today, the morning after the binge I will give the show 4 stars.
Question authority.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Feb 2016, 01:19

Since I had my cable boxes taken out and don't have TV anymore, I've been finding things to binge online. You can't find everything, but I did come across an old show from the late 60s called The High Chaparral. It's poorly written, has lousy continuity/editing, and is largely badly directed, but darned if I'm not enjoying it. I like the way the characters were drawn, and it makes me wonder what it would have been like to live in such a raw, almost primitive time, just after the civil war in the Arizona desert - a land without civilization or law. Well, European civilization; battling the Natives. Scary, tenuous times. But how it gets a respectable 7.8 on IMDb, I'll never know.

I have a few lined up for when I finish this one:

That Girl
Dark Shadows
The Monkees

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Feb 2016, 02:01

Loki wrote:Since I had my cable boxes taken out and don't have TV anymore, I've been finding things to binge online. You can't find everything, but I did come across an old show from the late 60s called The High Chaparral. It's poorly written, has lousy continuity/editing, and is largely badly directed, but darned if I'm not enjoying it. I like the way the characters were drawn, and it makes me wonder what it would have been like to live in such a raw, almost primitive time, just after the civil war in the Arizona desert - a land without civilization or law. Well, European civilization; battling the Natives. Scary, tenuous times. But how it gets a respectable 7.8 on IMDb, I'll never know.

Thanks for that. It looks gorgeous!

It reminds me of some of the stuff we watch:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Feb 2016, 04:42

Death Valley Days - quite a few of the actors who show up on Chaparral have been on this show as well, along with other period-piece westerns. I'll put it on my list, thanx!

I think there are still small towns in the US southwest that are quite reminiscent of those times. Cowboys never die.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Feb 2016, 13:31

Orphan Black. Now in Season Two. Plot thickening and tension ramping up. Excellent.
[indistinct chatter]

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 05 Feb 2016, 16:24

Loki wrote:Death Valley Days - quite a few of the actors who show up on Chaparral have been on this show as well, along with other period-piece westerns. I'll put it on my list, thanx!

I think there are still small towns in the US southwest that are quite reminiscent of those times. Cowboys never die.

High Chaparral used to be on tv all the time here, back in the eighties. I thought the normal step after that was Bonanza.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Feb 2016, 21:52

Bonanaza, Gunsmoke.....there were so many Westerns on TV back then.

Were they popular in the UK?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Feb 2016, 00:04

Loki wrote:Death Valley Days - quite a few of the actors who show up on Chaparral have been on this show as well, along with other period-piece westerns. I'll put it on my list, thanx!

Note that Death Valley Days is pretty dry, like the Dragnet of the old west. But I've only seen a few episodes of that one. I need to see more of it. It was on for years and years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 06 Feb 2016, 00:46

Doing The Goodwife myself these days. There are a lot of shows to see. Each season has like 23 episodes. I'm finishing up season one and critics say the show gets better and better,
Question authority.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Feb 2016, 13:07

Loki wrote:Bonanaza, Gunsmoke.....there were so many Westerns on TV back then.

Were they popular in the UK?

Reruns in the eighties and nineties were fairly popular in a Sunday lunchtime slot.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 08 Feb 2016, 10:26

Watching these, alternately: Season 1 on my computer, because the bloody DVD refuse to play on anything else, and Season 2 while commuting, on my portable player )

ImageImage

There's nothing original whatsoever, it's the usual tropes but with interesting juxtapositions and twists, plus I think it's very well done (and it's great seeing Jessica Lange on the screen).
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Feb 2016, 22:08

Stuck up at my high school with a day off for a national holiday and with absolutely nothing to do it was perfect day for binge watching. Season four of Game of Thrones was the main course. The wedding scene in ep. 9 was horrific and a perverse thrill to see all the "good" characters get killed. Then I finished off season one of The Good Wife, did two more Deuchland 89, and a couple of Penny Dreadfuls from season two. A perfect day.
Question authority.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 11 Feb 2016, 22:40

Started watching the US House of Cards again. We watched it last year and got as far as series 2, but then drifted off it. I love Kevin Spacey in this, but his wife is the most chilling character. Fabulous.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 12 Feb 2016, 07:56

Jimbo wrote: The wedding scene in ep. 9 was horrific and a perverse thrill to see all the "good" characters get killed.

SPOILERS!

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2016, 11:54

Loki wrote:
Jimbo wrote: The wedding scene in ep. 9 was horrific and a perverse thrill to see all the "good" characters get killed.

SPOILERS!

Sorry. I just had to it's so good - and gruesome. I will say no more about Game of Thrones.

Meanwhile Deutchland 89 is getting really good. One impression I was left with in the real aftermath of the East Germany story was how the secret police would turn family members and neighbors against one another. Well, that dynamic is in play and done well here amping up the drama.
Question authority.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Feb 2016, 15:43

Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Screenadelica”