Binge Watching

..and why not?
Six String

Re: Binge Watching

Postby Six String » 07 Sep 2015, 01:25

Neige wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Just watched the final season of "Treme." Only four episodes long the ending is not a shocker but thoughtful and upbeat with a twinge of sadness due to the death of a beloved character. Surprised we haven't discussed this show more here especially when it so much about music and its importance to New Orleans, its history, culture and economy. And there were so many musical cameos from New Orleans musicians, the producers, obvious boosters for the city. Can I say that while much of the music is good some of it was only so-so. While the actors are all smiling and head bopping often I wasn't. That niggle aside, Treme was a really compelling show with characters whom I could relate and even love.

This just made me order the complete series from amazon, looking forward to some serious binge-watching come the rainy days.

That will be perfect for that sort of thing. You can play spot the musician or use their software to focus on those things through a special musical commentary. For a music fan it is ace. The food scenes are great too, very realistic. This reminds me I think I might have missed that last season unless I am just forgetting it was short which is very possible. I need to investigate. :?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Sep 2015, 02:32

Just did 8 episodes of Louie season 6, the newest. Brilliant. Like art cinema but better. And not haha funny but funny just the same. Louie!
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 17 Oct 2015, 14:04

Never watched the final season of the Sopranos so I'm spending this Saturday and probably part of tomorrow binging. I'm up to episode six. I and the rest of the world all know how the final episode is kind of dangly but so far the build up has been some tremendous TV. The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire are probably the best TV ever made. I mean Breaking Bad and Justified are fantastic but the ground of human emotions and issues covered by The Sopranos is so extensive. I mean it isn't until now when they cover the theme of how Tony's children must deal with the sins of their homicidal yet loving father. This shit is relatable even if you're an ESL teacher with a kid who has to deal with what I do.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 19 Oct 2015, 22:35

About that Soprano's ending. I thought it was pretty good. Most of the loose ends were tied up and nuisances in Tony's life were dealt with. The problem was that guy who looked like a hit man at the diner who ultimately was a nobody and went to the bathroom. OR WAS HE??? lol

RIP James Gandolfini. You did a fantastic job.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Nov 2015, 06:48

One more episode to go #18 (S01 and 02) for DaVinci's Demons. It was pretty good show. A combo of the new Sherlock Holmes, Game of Thrones, and both Indy and Encyclopedia Jones. And gory! Whew!
Question authority.

Postby ... » 12 Nov 2015, 09:41

Jimbo wrote:About that Soprano's ending. I thought it was pretty good. Most of the loose ends were tied up and nuisances in Tony's life were dealt with. The problem was that guy who looked like a hit man at the diner who ultimately was a nobody and went to the bathroom. OR WAS HE??? lol

RIP James Gandolfini. You did a fantastic job.

Am pretty sure a poster who's long since gone and who;s name shamefully escapes me linked up to a great blog where someone dissected the final show pretty much frame by frame. Suggest you try the search feature as Ive got to go walk the dog!

Postby ... » 12 Nov 2015, 09:43

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Nov 2015, 13:00

My wife is churning her way through Sorkin's Newsroom. I quite like it, but I'm glad it only ran for 3 seasons.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Nov 2015, 13:16

Jimbo wrote:About that Soprano's ending. I thought it was pretty good. Most of the loose ends were tied up and nuisances in Tony's life were dealt with.

I think it was a brilliant ending. Because you knew it was the last episode, you kept thinking that anyone the camera lingered on was going to be killed or to kill. Put you inside of Tony's mindset of vigilance, suspicion and precarious attachments, which was the main theme of the series, I thought – how people manage to accommodate that lifestyle combined with anything approaching normality and family.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Nov 2015, 03:30

Watched Season one of Catastrophe in one sitting. Very nice Brit-Ami rom-com series and I know I curse a lot but I didn't realize everyone does. Watch this one with your honey.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 Nov 2015, 23:31

Veep S02E1~5

Hysterically funny. Elaine from Seinfeld is amazing. A great actress.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 04 Dec 2015, 05:06

Empire season 2. A fancy hip hop soap opera is what it is. Never saw more scenes that begin with "Can we talk?" That said, it is not bad.
Question authority.

Postby ... » 04 Dec 2015, 09:47

Jimbo wrote:Empire season 2. A fancy hip hop soap opera is what it is. Never saw more scenes that begin with "Can we talk?" That said, it is not bad.

It's basically Nashville with black people. Gave up after about three episodes of series 2 (empire - N lasted a little longer until early in season 3)

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Dec 2015, 04:12

Narcos. Thought I had the whole season loaded but the wily Escobar is still on the loose so maybe I have one or two episodes to go. It is a really good show. With it's mix of real footage and history, I compare it to Costa Grava's "Z" but a whole TV season of it.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Dec 2015, 23:26

Started watching Game of Thrones season three and everything is a bit too familiar. I can't recall if I'd seen the TV show already or just read the book. I must have read the book. That said, I must (also) say the shows hew really closely to the books, an unusual course for filmed versions.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 19 Dec 2015, 12:53

Watched ep. 10 season 2, the last I think of this year's episodes of The Knick. No spoilers except one. I don't think there will be a season 3. Except for the needlessly gruesome medical procedure scenes this was a terrific drama loaded with history and a wonderfully liberal bias. Rich people bad.
Question authority.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 19 Dec 2015, 13:52

Out of left field there's a series you might want to check out. The short lived 6 episode 1982 series Police Squad. Starring Leslie Nielson. It's the tv series extension of the Airplane movies both written by the Zucker Brothers. It's different and pretty hilarious. Here's the Amazon link -

http://www.amazon.com/Police-Squad-Comp ... lice+squad

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Dec 2015, 13:46

Spent day seven of my vacation watching all of The Grinder season one. It's a pretty funny Odd Couple-ish comedy with Rob Lowe as a TV-lawyer come back to his home town to be with his real-lawyer brother, Kevin from The Wonder Years.
Question authority.

Postby ... » 22 Dec 2015, 17:09

Jimbo wrote:Watched ep. 10 season 2, the last I think of this year's episodes of The Knick. No spoilers except one. I don't think there will be a season 3. Except for the needlessly gruesome medical procedure scenes this was a terrific drama loaded with history and a wonderfully liberal bias. Rich people bad.

Looking forward to seeing series 2. Was originally conceived as just the two series so hope that they stick at that rather than go down the Lost route of flogging a good idea to death

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 24 Dec 2015, 10:04

Watching Jessica Jones on Netflix. So far it is OK, but a bit slow, and the plot seems thin to spread over ten hours of TV. But it passes the time.
You don't like me...do you?

Return to “Screenadelica”