Binge Watching

..and why not?
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Binge Watching

Postby Jimbo » 27 Mar 2015, 04:03

My near-month spring break is almost over and I have spent many a vacation day and night here watching entire series or nearly-entire series and I couldn't have been happier. Yesterday I watched the entire season 7 of Californication. What a great show. The honesty and the humor which comes from it is profound. This is the season when Hank Moody finds out he has a 21 year old son and like any good father and son team they drink and smoke and whore about together. A brilliantly funny show.

I have one more to go an then I will have watched each and every episode of Justified, the best cowboy/cop/gangster drama ever. I can't believe how good TV is these days, so much better than any single movie.

If you haven't watched Episodes then do so immediately. Season three is when Matt LeBanc goes broke but still he can't let himself sell his beach home or his private jet.

Louis. Watched a bunch of those and Louis CK gives Woody Allen a run for his money and not just for the funny and the underlying pathos but for the film making and style as well.

The Comeback is an unbelievable cringe and laugh fest.
Question authority.

Re: Binge Watching

Postby ... » 27 Mar 2015, 11:36

Currently rewatching a BluRay of season 4 of Game of Thrones (much clearer second time around), After that, it's Better Call Saul, season 3 of Once Upon a Time (the wife's fave), followed by Hostages (the original Israeli version). Along the way, will also watch Wolf Hall, Gotham and a Swedish show called something like 30 Degrees in the Shade. After that, it's back to seasons 4 through 9 of the X-Files followed by the whole of Rescue Me and back to Netflix for the next series of Orance is the New Black

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 29 Mar 2015, 10:21

Currently binge watching 'Lie To Me', with Tim Roth.
It's an ok show, but Mr. Roth doesn't seem entirely comfortable with his role.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 Mar 2015, 12:58

I don't watch TV that way, it would spoil the enjoyment for me. I savour each episode kind of like a quarter of a bar of chocolate rather than wolfing the whole lot. The max might be 2 in one day....
I definitely couldn't view Wolf Hall at one sitting -- it would wipe me out. Each episode is so deliciously intense.
That said, I'm holding out against any paid-for tv subscription services, I refuse to have Murdoch in my home and I'm not in a Virgin cabled area.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

B

Postby B » 29 Mar 2015, 14:05

Trailer Park Boys all day long

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Mar 2015, 18:06

Just finished season six of Californication. What a great show, liberating really, the message being don't get too het up about shit and be yourself.
Question authority.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Mar 2015, 21:49

There are so many good shows. Justified, Sons of Anarchy (sadly, now gone), Mad Men, Vikings, etc. I think I'm about done with The Blacklist though - Spader really is the only good thing about it. I've about had it with Nashville too - though my wife will continue to watch it.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 Mar 2015, 03:52

Matt Wilson wrote: The Blacklist

I watched one episode and it had the old TV stink on it and knew there is much better out here. Eastbound and Down is another fav. The comedic tension ... Kenny, never saw a real movie with a character as unreal but utterly understandable as he.

And I love how in spite of the conservatives trying to fuck shit up these days shows like these charge ahead with a frankness about sex and drugs that --- shit, it may as well be I Am Curious Europe and not the USA making these shows.
Question authority.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 30 Mar 2015, 10:06

Started on Blacklist yesterday.
Seems pretty good so far.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 30 Mar 2015, 10:53

You're all essentially getting addicted to soap operas.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 30 Mar 2015, 23:44

Talk about missing the bus, we've only just started watching "Breaking bad", thanks to Master SB buying me the complete boxed set for Xmas. Only started on it last week, and already we watch at least two episodes per night, in between Fortitude, and 30 degrees in February (which is wonderful)

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Apr 2015, 17:20

Just finished watching season 1 of Silicon Valley, the satire from Beevis and Butthead's Mike Judge. Really good.
Question authority.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Apr 2015, 18:48

The Modernist wrote:You're all essentially getting addicted to soap operas.

None of these mentioned here are soap operas, they are long-form dramas (or sitcoms or whatever). The defining features of a soap opera are that it runs continuously and no end is in sight until it is cancelled. Soap operas aren't meant to have any great dramatic merit (although some of them often do), but long-form dramas, typically made for no-advertising channels, are the equivalent of those long Victorian novels that were published in instalments in magazines; they are intricately involving, usually the vision of one creator or a small partnership, allow for dramatic works of extraordinary scope and depth, and attract the best writing and acting talent there is around. And they always have a narrative arc that reaches a conclusion; the creators and show-runners are not just winging it. They are anti-soap operas
But that said, yes, they are habit-forming / addictive, just like reading, comics, pinball, watching sport or movies, playing video games and even music are for some. Is it a problem to get into a particular art-form in a big way? Or is it because it's television that you are pointing this out? I'm genuinely interested, not being snide (although I admit it can often be difficult to tell :) )
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 15 Apr 2015, 15:06

Just now watched the very last episode of Justified. There will be no more. That's six seasons done. Excellent and addictive TV.
Question authority.

Postby ... » 15 Apr 2015, 15:22

Jimbo wrote:Just now watched the very last episode of Justified. There will be no more. That's six seasons done. Excellent and addictive TV.

Justified is fabulous. can't wait to see season 6. After this, the Shield and to a lesser extent his role in the last couple of seasons of Sons of Anarchy I'm amazed Walton Goggins hasn't made more of a mark in movies, he's a superb actor

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 16 Apr 2015, 11:43

fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Just now watched the very last episode of Justified. There will be no more. That's six seasons done. Excellent and addictive TV.

Justified is fabulous. can't wait to see season 6. After this, the Shield and to a lesser extent his role in the last couple of seasons of Sons of Anarchy I'm amazed Walton Goggins hasn't made more of a mark in movies, he's a superb actor

Yep. Venus van Damme. What a rack! What started as a bizarre cameo with the whole Cletus/Venus in-joke turned into something a bit more. The scenes with Tig were just a little difficult to take too seriously.

I'm a big fan, but haven't seen Justified yet. It's next up. Does it grab you from episode one, or is it a slow burner?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 16 Apr 2015, 12:32

Fonz wrote:
I'm a big fan, but haven't seen Justified yet. It's next up. Does it grab you from episode one, or is it a slow burner?

From the get go, especially if you are an Elmore Leonard fan.
Question authority.

Postby ... » 16 Apr 2015, 13:16

Fonz wrote:
fueryhk(redux) wrote:

Yep. Venus van Damme. What a rack! What started as a bizarre cameo with the whole Cletus/Venus in-joke turned into something a bit more. The scenes with Tig were just a little difficult to take too seriously.

Nope, it pretty much grabs you from the get go

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 17 Apr 2015, 14:43

Just watched the first episode of Billy Crystal's new TV comedy The Comedians. Another fake documentary and it wasn't very funny. Billy and the other guy, supposed to be a brilliant comedy actor, have been promoting the show. They gave a funny interview on The Nerdist and I bit. Too bad. Not one laugh did I make, not even a smile. I don't rate this show as binge-worthy.
Question authority.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 18 Apr 2015, 13:06

Having watched the first 2 episodes in the final season (or part season) of Mad Men, it's making me long for a box set. Not for the impatient need to get to the next cliffhanger but to fast forward through the longeurs which have increasingly dogged this excellent but over extended programme. Not quite shark jumping but I'm glad this is finally the end.

Return to “Screenadelica”