Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Wolf Hall

Postby The Prof » 30 Jan 2015, 23:29

It's a bit boring.

Polishgirl

Re: Wolf Hall

Postby Polishgirl » 30 Jan 2015, 23:40

There aren't even any fucking wolves.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 31 Jan 2015, 14:04

It's wonderful. The sheer tension and the mendacity. Ravishing to the eye.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 31 Jan 2015, 14:09

Samoan wrote:It's wonderful. The sheer tension and the mendacity. Ravishing to the eye.

Of course it is. It is amazing.
You don't like me...do you?

Chris P Bacon

Postby Chris P Bacon » 31 Jan 2015, 14:30

Polishgirl wrote:There aren't even any fucking wolves.

:lol:
We won by not being you. Perhaps even the greatest of prizes.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 31 Jan 2015, 16:25

Love the books, especially BUTB.

Tried to watch the 1st episode, but couldn't get into it. Tried again, and it was better. Rylance is such a wonderful actor; I thought he was especially affecting when dealing with his loved ones' deaths. Very understated, but quite profound.

Perhaps it seems slow partly because of the structure of the narrative, with the flashbacks and that - it can be difficult to get the tension going - but, myself, I think the novel itself is all scene setting for BUTB. That's when the story really gets some momentum. The beauty in WH is the writing, the exploration of Cromwell's character and mindset, and the positioning of the other major players, like Norfolk. I guess the telly version is also a scene-setter, establishing context and atmosphere.

I've not watched the 2nd episode yet, so I'm perhaps being unfair, but my only real criticism is the casting of Anne Boleyn. I know it's a bit facile to compare WH with The Tudors, the latter essentially being Eastenders in doublet & hose, but I think they cast AB really well - Natalie Dormer plays her as coquettish, sexually assertive and crafty, and you can understand how men become captivated by her. Claire Foy is a bit...well...tame....
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Postby ... » 31 Jan 2015, 17:00

Can't see how they can manage to squeeze down such a complex book into six hours of TV. As someone once said of trying to create a televsion/film adaptation of a John Le Carre's novel, it's a bit like creating an Oxo cube out of a Rhinoceros.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 31 Jan 2015, 21:12

We'd HATE Cromwell in this day and age.

Think it's wonderful. Rylance is superb.

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 02 Feb 2015, 12:11

It is very good and Rylance is perfectly cast as Cromwell. Watchful, guarded, inscrutable and understated, just like in the novels. It does work better as a companion piece to the said novels, as the nature of distilling not 1 but 2 very detailed novels into a 6hr TV series means they have to take it on the premise that most of their audience will know the books and history already. That way they can focus on the more pivotal incidents and happenings to move the narrative forward rather than spell it all out in granular detail. It is a long slowmoving tale of deceit, hubris, manipulation and intrigue, and I am enjoying how the screenplay has managed to capture that without eschewing Cromwell's subtle machinations. He was not a man of bluster and big gestures in the book, more quiet manipulation and watchful cunning. I like that this has been transferred to Rylance's wonderfully measured acting and portrayal of the main character.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 02 Feb 2015, 20:16

HarryIrene wrote:It is very good and Rylance is perfectly cast as Cromwell. Watchful, guarded, inscrutable and understated, just like in the novels. It does work better as a companion piece to the said novels, as the nature of distilling not 1 but 2 very detailed novels into a 6hr TV series means they have to take it on the premise that most of their audience will know the books and history already. That way they can focus on the more pivotal incidents and happenings to move the narrative forward rather than spell it all out in granular detail. It is a long slowmoving tale of deceit, hubris, manipulation and intrigue, and I am enjoying how the screenplay has managed to capture that without eschewing Cromwell's subtle machinations. He was not a man of bluster and big gestures in the book, more quiet manipulation and watchful cunning. I like that this has been transferred to Rylance's wonderfully measured acting and portrayal of the main character.

Excellent. Well said.
You don't like me...do you?

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 10 Feb 2015, 13:51

Toby wrote:Rylance is superb.

Apparently he's bought the film rights to Paul Kingsnorth's excellent novel The Wake, about the English resistance to the Norman invasion centred around the East Anglian Fens, in the years following William's takeover.

I really hope that gets made by him.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 10 Feb 2015, 14:04

I'm now up to date with the episodes and continuing to enjoy it, and be amazed by Rylance.

My favourite bit ( and I'd forgotten about it happening in the book ) is the players in the nasty, anti-Wolsey masque taking off their ..ummm...masks, one by one, laughing and crowing, unaware that Cromwell is silently watching them, marking their cards.

Revenge is, after all, a dish best served cold. Chilling and brilliant. Chilliant.

mission

Postby mission » 10 Feb 2015, 14:07

Toby wrote:We'd HATE Cromwell in this day and age.

I'd happily slit that cunt from ear to ear. With an adze.
Goodness gracious me.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 10 Feb 2015, 14:28

Apparently, Mark Rylance prepared for the role by watching Kenneth WIlliams' portrayal of Cromwell in 'Carry On Henry', I kid you not.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 10 Feb 2015, 14:32

mission wrote:
Toby wrote:We'd HATE Cromwell in this day and age.

I'd happily slit that cunt from ear to ear. With an adze.

Why?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

mission

Postby mission » 11 Feb 2015, 00:07

Cromwell's murderous work in Scotland and Ireland was tantamount to genocide. Fuck him and the roundheaded dog he rode in on.

I am not even all that sure who Rylance is, if you thought I was going to take to him with agricultural tools.
Goodness gracious me.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Feb 2015, 09:11

mission wrote:Cromwell's murderous work in Scotland and Ireland was tantamount to genocide. Fuck him and the roundheaded dog he rode in on.

The TV drama is about Thomas Cromwell, not Oliver. It's based on Hilary Mantel's novels Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies.

Mark Rylance is playing the lead role, he's also the artistic director of the Globe Theatre in London. Terrific actor.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Feb 2015, 10:41

Errare humanum est :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Chris P Bacon

Postby Chris P Bacon » 11 Feb 2015, 10:48

We won by not being you. Perhaps even the greatest of prizes.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Feb 2015, 10:51

Belle Lettre wrote:Errare humanum est :D

:D

Return to “Screenadelica”