The Fall Series 3 - anyone watching this?

..and why not?

The Fall Series 3 - anyone watching this?

Postby ... » 04 Dec 2014, 13:19

Thought the first season was excellent, and was about to start series 2 but episodes to date have been getting some very bad reviews as apparently the series was conceived as one 8 parter and they have now dragged it out. Anyone agree/disagree?
Last edited by ... on 21 Oct 2016, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Rayge

Re: The Fall Series 2 - anyone watching this?

Postby Rayge » 04 Dec 2014, 15:28

I'm saving it to watch in one big splurge, so may come back in a few weeks, but find I am increasingly at odds with TV reviewers these days
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Postby ... » 05 Dec 2014, 07:11

Thanks for the feedback, R. If get a couple of hours over the weekend, may watch the first couple of episodes of S2 on iPlayer

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2014, 08:58

The first wasn't great, but it had a style and intelligence about it and I enjoyed it overall. I found the first two episodes of the second slow and ponderous, and I might not bother with the rest of it.

Postby ... » 05 Dec 2014, 09:05

The G Experience! wrote:The first wasn't great, but it had a style and intelligence about it and I enjoyed it overall. I found the first two episodes of the second slow and ponderous, and I might not bother with the rest of it.

Have you seen the missing yet, G? Best thing on TV right now, imho.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2014, 12:43

No, though I've heard it's very good. I'll try and give it a go on iplayer if the previous episodes are still available.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 05 Dec 2014, 15:59

I'm not watching it. I found the 1st series made for uncomfortable, unsettling viewing.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Postby ... » 05 Dec 2014, 17:02

Samoan wrote:I'm not watching it. I found the 1st series made for uncomfortable, unsettling viewing.

It was indeed. While series 2 is not as good as series 1, it's still better than most stuff on terrestrial TV right now

Postby ... » 05 Dec 2014, 17:03

The G Experience! wrote:No, though I've heard it's very good. I'll try and give it a go on iplayer if the previous episodes are still available.

Was still up there a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how long they keep programmes up though so you would be advised to check out the early episodes sharpish

Spec

Postby Spec » 04 Jan 2015, 22:38

Really enjoyed it (although 'enjoyed' is the wrong word). Probably a bit too long but some great acting - the main lead male and the 16 yr old girl in particular. Beautifully filmed in its own grim way. Interesting to see in this and in The Missing the impact of the Danish dramas.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 05 Jan 2015, 00:00

I was gripped by the first series and wow! The second series was superb concentrating on the cat and mouse battle, and revealing more about Paul's past.

Of course, Gillian Anderson was incredible throughout, but so was everyone else. I was so tense during the final episodes, I could hardly bear it.

By contrast, I thought The Missing was poor. It was trying too hard to be a Scandinavian noir, but I found it disjointed and far too drawn out shouldn't have been more than 3 installments at most. Very little character development, silly red herrings and average acting.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Spec

Postby Spec » 05 Jan 2015, 11:17

Polishgirl wrote:I was gripped by the first series and wow! The second series was superb concentrating on the cat and mouse battle, and revealing more about Paul's past.

Of course, Gillian Anderson was incredible throughout, but so was everyone else. I was so tense during the final episodes, I could hardly bear it.

By contrast, I thought The Missing was poor. It was trying too hard to be a Scandinavian noir, but I found it disjointed and far too drawn out shouldn't have been more than 3 installments at most. Very little character development, silly red herrings and average acting.

I agree. It felt like a 3-4 hour drama stretched to 8 with too many characters and, as you say, red herrings. I found it very confusing and lost interest for 2 or 3 episodes in the middle but by the end I had regained some interest.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 05 Jan 2015, 13:04

I was disappointed with Season 2, especially the last few episodes. The story began to drag, the writing was poor at times - the interview scene Stella and Paul was excrusiatingly bad - and the end was a bit ridiculous. Its a shame, as the season 2 started well.

Postby ... » 08 Jan 2015, 08:16

Just caught the end of TF series 2 on Sunday and despite the bad reviews (and unpleasant subject matter) quite enjoyed it - if enjoyed is the right way. Maybe the fact that I watched it in chunks of two episodes rather than in one great block made the plot holes (and there were some) a little easier to live with.

Think TM fell into the same trap that the Line of Duty(???) series with Keeley Hawes from earlier on in the year did in that it stretched a six-part series across eight parts. Aside from which - and a gaping plot hole in the final episode - I thought it was pretty decent stuff

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Feb 2015, 00:04

I really liked this series. I will admit I did not watch the early Season 2 episodes very regularly though - skimmed through the first few and watched the last 3, partly trying to keep up with my wife who had a lot more TV time than I. She'd just tell me if I'd missed anything big in the last episode. So the problems with stretching out the length didn't bother me so much.

I thought the end was awfully abrupt but, I guess, at that point where do you go with it?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Oct 2016, 09:55

Anyone watching Season 3? What a very, very weird way to open things up, wasn't expecting that at all. It's basically a tedious, drawn-out episode of ER. Knowing nothing about the season beforehand I was assuming they were going to move on to a new storyline since the previous one seemed essentially to have been wrapped up. But at the end of the first episode, we are essentially no further along at all except that everyone is in the hospital and there has been alot of serious shouting of the 100 CCs of hydrochloride this and sodium that that all the patients urgently need. I guess it's pretty well-done - or at least a real curveball - but if nothing much happens in the next episode I think I will give it a miss.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Re: The Fall Series 3 - anyone watching this?

Postby ... » 21 Oct 2016, 12:14

Like you, only seen ep 1 where the sight of everyone rushing around going "we're losing him!", "get me 20mls of ephedrine!", etc, got a bit wearying. Agree it seems as if they are milking the GA/JD relationship beyond breaking point. Doubtless in S4,they'll take the show in a new direction with GA and JD getting married, opening a boarding house and having some hilarious adventures. Will see what episode 2 is like and may well bail. Too much other good stuff to watch at the moment to bother with stuff that has outstayed its welcome

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 21 Oct 2016, 13:55

I've not seen this week's episode yet, but it looks as though they're moving onto the prosecution process, and how the case can be built against Spector, plus the fallout for other characters following his arrest etc.

I still find it very watchable, because it's put together so well, and the acting continues to be of a high standard. ( Any footage of Jamie Dornan wearing only his pants is neither here nor there, obviously...)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 21 Oct 2016, 19:39

K wrote:God it's boring. I'm running out of patience.

I actually watched a few minutes of the first series and it bored me rigid.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Oct 2016, 20:31

I watched the first two series, and really enjoyed them. Which for me, is quite unusual, I can't normally be doing with that amount of TV for one show. Only seen the first episode of series 3, and it was dull as dishwater. Seems to me that it's got nowhere interesting to go with these characters.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Screenadelica”