Where should I start with Sherlock?

..and why not?
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Where should I start with Sherlock?

Postby Penk! » 04 Jan 2017, 19:56

Lord Rother wrote:I still thought it was excellent viewing but I'd definitely like it to remain a little more grounded in reality than the suspend-disbelief / thriller territory they have dallied with.

Yes, to be fair to this episode, it was entertaining and the look at Watson's private life was good: it was just that it came from a completely different show and as you say, we've already suspended our disbelief enough with the Sherlock character; surely they could've made Mary a strong and smart character without having to make her Jane Bond.
I can't imagine that it was really what anybody wants from this show after the silliness last time around. All in all there've been eleven episodes now and I think that Sherlock Holmes has actually solved a crime and caught the villain in about three of them. If The Great Detective isn't being outplayed and tricked by his adversaries, then he's doing irrelevant stuff that nobody really cares about in the first place.
The ongoing plot arc and the bromance aspect are good, and they've manouevred the latter into an interesting place now, but can we please, please, stop dicking around with the metafiction and action nonsense and go back to what made the first few episodes so great?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Jan 2017, 13:19

So it's a thumbs up for the one on new years eve or whenever it was on?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Postby ... » 09 Jan 2017, 10:34

PENK wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:I still thought it was excellent viewing but I'd definitely like it to remain a little more grounded in reality than the suspend-disbelief / thriller territory they have dallied with.

Yes, to be fair to this episode, it was entertaining and the look at Watson's private life was good: it was just that it came from a completely different show and as you say, we've already suspended our disbelief enough with the Sherlock character; surely they could've made Mary a strong and smart character without having to make her Jane Bond.
I can't imagine that it was really what anybody wants from this show after the silliness last time around. All in all there've been eleven episodes now and I think that Sherlock Holmes has actually solved a crime and caught the villain in about three of them. If The Great Detective isn't being outplayed and tricked by his adversaries, then he's doing irrelevant stuff that nobody really cares about in the first place.
The ongoing plot arc and the bromance aspect are good, and they've manouevred the latter into an interesting place now, but can we please, please, stop dicking around with the metafiction and action nonsense and go back to what made the first few episodes so great?

Agreed.

Just watched S4 ep 1 from New Year's Day and it was a confused mess. Interesting that the denouement took place in the shark tunnel at - I think - London Zoo.

As there's just too much stuff that looks promising (and the key word here is promising) on now, am not sure whether will persevere with Sherlock beyond this point -may not have to bother as there are dark mutterings that the three current episodes may well bring the series to an end.

Either way, it's certainly not the show that grabbed my attention with its first two or three episodes, that's for sure.
Last edited by ... on 09 Jan 2017, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ... » 09 Jan 2017, 18:37

Having heard Toby Jones was the guest star, just watched last night's. While the sight of TJ channeling Jimmy Savile - yellow teeth and all - was pretty damn good, I think any show which is reliant on that hoary old device of the villain's being covertly recorded while he confesses all can be said to have gone several stops past its sell-by date.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Jan 2017, 21:31

It's all gone a little hammy. At least he actually caught a criminal for once. To be honest , Martin Freeman is beginning to get on my tits .
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Jan 2017, 21:32

It's all gone a little hammy. At least he actually caught a criminal for once. To be honest , Martin Freeman is beginning to get on my tits .

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 15 Jan 2017, 22:35

Oh boy , Dr Who and Sherlock are surely soon to morph into a spectacular series of frankly unwatchable gobbledygook .

Postby ... » 16 Jan 2017, 13:37

Well that would appear to be that then, and sadly not before time.

In last night's episode, disbelief wasn't so much suspended as hung by the neck until it was dead.
Last edited by ... on 16 Jan 2017, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2017, 14:44

I only watched a few but was personally offended by the Sherlock character when he sized up this chubby guy as an internet masturbator because he was chubby. I resemble that remark.
Question authority.

Postby ... » 16 Jan 2017, 16:14

Sorry, DP

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Jan 2017, 22:59

Because of the weird/uneven BBC America scheduling of repeats, I never got beyond the first several episodes. After reading all these comments, I'm wondering if I should bother seeing more now.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Postby ... » 19 Jan 2017, 08:56

jimboo ™ wrote:
]It's all gone a little hammy. At least he actually caught a criminal for once. To be honest , Martin Freeman is beginning to get on my tits .

jimboo ™ wrote:
]It's all gone a little hammy. At least he actually caught a criminal for once. To be honest , Martin Freeman is beginning to get on my tits .

Another bloody repeat!

Probably all these immigrants coming over and taking our jobs and lowering our house prices like they say in the Daily Fail

Don't know what the blooming country's coming to!

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 25 Jan 2017, 00:02

All three were absolute shite. Talk about the emperor's new clothes...

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 26 Jan 2017, 04:00

I can't see what all the fuss is about - person turns up with problem, dynamic due go off and solve problem, credits - was going to get stale pretty quickly wasn't it?

Not much fun for the writers either, some people just don't like change very much pretty glad Moffat and Gattiss are big enough to stick two fingers up at the moaners and do what they want, it is bound to be more interesting than what all the "shark jumpers" want to watch. I rather loved the way they rubbed their noses in it in S4ep1 with the climax in the shark tank, can't think of a bigger 2 fingers they could have done really.

I think they can dial it back a bit whenever they want really and stick in a more conventional episode but I am not sure that is what the series is about; surely it is about Holmes' and Sherlock's relationship and Sherlock's metamorphosis from automaton to (almost ) empathic human being, and there needs to be reason for that beyond solving a mystery every week like on Scooby Doo.

Although I did find the idea of Martin Freeman's ex-wife being an highly trained member of an elite special forces unit suspended my disbelief from a very high place indeed.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 26 Jan 2017, 07:48

slightbreeze wrote:All three were absolute shite. Talk about the emperor's new clothes...

I thought the second episode with Toby Jones was very good indeed - it had a good, focused storyline, and made sense as an episode in its own right...much more like the early episodes. The Jane Bond one was indeed very bad. The final one was so/so - I did start getting tired of it. Most people really seem to have disliked the one-off christmas special last year - I really liked it, great entertainment.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jan 2017, 20:35

Copehead wrote:

I can't see what all the fuss is about - person turns up with problem, dynamic due go off and solve problem, credits - was going to get stale pretty quickly wasn't it?

Not much fun for the writers either, some people just don't like change very much pretty glad Moffat and Gattiss are big enough to stick two fingers up at the moaners and do what they want, it is bound to be more interesting than what all the "shark jumpers" want to watch. I rather loved the way they rubbed their noses in it in S4ep1 with the climax in the shark tank, can't think of a bigger 2 fingers they could have done really.

I think they can dial it back a bit whenever they want really and stick in a more conventional episode but I am not sure that is what the series is about; surely it is about Holmes' and Sherlock's relationship and Sherlock's metamorphosis from automaton to (almost ) empathic human being, and there needs to be reason for that beyond solving a mystery every week like on Scooby Doo.

Although I did find the idea of Martin Freeman's ex-wife being an highly trained member of an elite special forces unit suspended my disbelief from a very high place indeed.

You sound like you think we disagree, but I pretty much concur with your comments.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 26 Jan 2017, 21:59

Geezee wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:All three were absolute shite. Talk about the emperor's new clothes...

I thought the second episode with Toby Jones was very good indeed - it had a good, focused storyline, and made sense as an episode in its own right...much more like the early episodes. The Jane Bond one was indeed very bad. The final one was so/so - I did start getting tired of it. Most people really seem to have disliked the one-off christmas special last year - I really liked it, great entertainment.

I know Rother, I have no idea why I quoted your post really.
It wasn't a dig at you, I think it was just because yours was the last post and I didn't want mine to stand alone like and orphaned child. :)

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Jan 2017, 08:00

Copehead wrote:
Geezee wrote:

It wasn't a dig at you, I think it was just because yours was the last post and I didn't want mine to stand alone like and orphaned child. :)

??
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Postby ... » 27 Jan 2017, 09:31

Geezee wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Geezee wrote:

??

But surely after years of rending your garments, gnashing your teeth and wailing uselessly at the uncaring heavens, you must be used to your status as the board's voice crying in the wilderness by now, Copey?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 28 Jan 2017, 00:26

fueryIre wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Copehead wrote:

??

But surely after years of rending your garments, gnashing your teeth and wailing uselessly at the uncaring heavens, you must be used to your status as the board's voice crying in the wilderness by now, Copey?

Used to it but still don't accept it

Return to “Screenadelica”