The Walking Dead

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby Dr Markus » 18 Oct 2013, 11:36

I'm gonna use this show as an attempt to somewhat fill the void left by breaking bad.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 Oct 2013, 12:58

You will be hugely disappointed. It is utter rubbish.
You don't like me...do you?

watts

Postby watts » 20 Oct 2013, 17:27

Very poor acting. Very poor writing. Lots of low-budget gore fest gross out special effects. Substantial (and not for the better as with Game of Thrones) deviation from the truly excellent graphic novels on which it is based and it has been messed with and "reimagined" numerous times in only a few seasons by the network and producers now to the point where it's got major weaknesses and plot holes.

But you know.... to each their own.

I am addicted to it despite it's horrible, horrible issues. But it's a total hate-hate thing for me now.

I initially became annoyed in episode 1? 2? when they had Glenn be part of a group instead of the lone pizza delivery boy surviving in the city....but still I watched it.

The whole white supremacist brothers thing just annoyed me at first but you know, I came to like Darryl.

They allowed Shane to live well past his plot usefulness or acting ability. This was my first MAJOR issue with the show.

Then they went and killed off Dale and I pretty much decided the show was crap and a total guilty non-pleasure. But I couldn't stop watching the dungpile. I still stuck with it -- even when they spent half a season sitting on a farm doing nothing at all.

The writers made Lori into a stepford wife 1950's hausfrau type...I found that hard to stomach....to the point where I was actually gleeful when they finally killed that bitch off.

But they left the baby alive??? WHY? Seriously WHY? I must watch just to see what their stupid point in that was....

And so I watched from some horrified compulsion. But the "lets have several people have key information -- but for no apparent reason let's have no one talk to one another who should talk to one another" conflict-building story device of the inept hack pretty much was nearly the death knoll for me.

The shy away from the horrible rape of Michonne by the governor bit was actually a relief.....but it left her hatred for him a bit less...understandable.

I swear to God if they fuck up Michonne's character much more I will hunt them all down and kill them with a samurai blade through the eyes and balls myself.
--m

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Oct 2013, 18:24

Dale was a whining prick. I was delighted when he bit the bullet.

I haven't read the graphic novel but it sounds like the biggest issue for you is the deviation from the source text, Martha. It's flawed but still pretty good although I agree season 2 on the farm was tedious beyond belief.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Oct 2013, 00:19

yomptepi wrote:You will be hugely disappointed. It is utter rubbish.

Yeah i wasn't too keen on the very first episode. There's setting the scene/story, then there giving the fucking bare minimum to keep you interested.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 21 Oct 2013, 11:38

The new episode was a bit slow, wasn't it?

Postby ... » 21 Oct 2013, 15:40

I hope that series 4 isn't just a retread of series 2 with the prison replacing the farm...
Last edited by ... on 01 Nov 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 31 Oct 2013, 20:38

watts wrote:Very poor acting. Very poor writing. Lots of low-budget gore fest gross out special effects. Substantial (and not for the better as with Game of Thrones) deviation from the truly excellent graphic novels on which it is based and it has been messed with and "reimagined" numerous times in only a few seasons by the network and producers now to the point where it's got major weaknesses and plot holes.

But you know.... to each their own.

I am addicted to it despite it's horrible, horrible issues. But it's a total hate-hate thing for me now.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. :)
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Nov 2013, 20:11

Postby ... » 11 Nov 2013, 13:09

Dr Markus wrote:http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/george-romero-disses--the-walking-dead---calls-it-a--soap-opera--235315460.html

George Romero Disses 'The Walking Dead,' Calls It a 'Soap Opera'

I was watching the latest episode last night and I just basically thought, WTF, this show isn't going anywhere, there's no point in watching it anymore. There's really only three ways the series can end and neither of them is riveting enough to stick around for.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 11 Nov 2013, 14:57

I'm at a quitting point too, I think. The second episode of the new season was really good but the last two have been rotten...glacially slow and I care less and less. Might give it one more episode.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 21 Nov 2013, 09:31

Well, that last episode was a bit better... Still kinda rubbish though. Guess I just have to face the fact I'm hooked.

Postby ... » 23 Nov 2013, 09:48

The producers of TWD must have seen how many people were giving up and brought back David Morrisey who was far and away the best thing about Sesason 3 so I'll give it a few more weeks

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Nov 2013, 00:53

Another "mid-season finalé" next week.

:rolleyes:
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Postby ... » 26 Nov 2013, 10:39

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Another "mid-season finalé" next week.

:rolleyes:

Jesus, I didn't realize they were going to do. In an era when people gorge on four or five episodes of a box set of night, mid-season breaks are incredibly annoying

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 Oct 2017, 12:41

I went ahead and gave this another go and now I'm on season 6. It's not a perfect show my any means, and the tell tale signs are now noticeable when something is gonna happen or someone is gonna get killed. I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who should appear next season I think, so i'll stick around for him. Bit surprised he's not a bigger actor in Hollywood.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Oct 2017, 14:04

The start of the new season seemed a bit rushed, but it was enjoyable enough.

Return to “Screenadelica”