Best catwoman

..and why not?
User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Best catwoman

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Jul 2012, 19:03

Admittedly, I stole this from today's Parade magazine, but I thought it was worth a BCB vote.

Lee Meriwether
Image

Julie Newmar
Image

Eartha Kitt
Image

Michelle Pfeiffer
Image

Halle Berry (doesn't really count for me)
Image

Anne Hathaway (I love her, but still too early to see if she's any good)
Image
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 10164
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jul 2012, 19:06

Julie Goddam Newmar!
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17976
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Tactful Cactus » 15 Jul 2012, 20:22

Answer = Whatever Catwoman you saw when you were 15 years old.

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9649
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Best catwoman

Postby slightbreeze » 15 Jul 2012, 21:10

Cage Free Brown wrote:Julie Goddam Newmar!


Seconded! A goddess!

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26616
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: Best catwoman

Postby the masked man » 15 Jul 2012, 23:24

The problem with the original Batman series was that it was too campy to take seriously. Julie Newmar was the best of the three Catwomen from that series. Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry can be discounted because they were saddled with unbelievably ugly costumes.

So we're left with Anne Hathaway, and it looks like they've finally got it right. Very sleek costume indeed, and Chris Nolan should deliver a decent film again. I'll need to see the film to confirm this good initial impression.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52125
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Jul 2012, 01:18

slightbreeze wrote:
Cage Free Brown wrote:Julie Goddam Newmar!


Seconded! A goddess!

Thirded!

I wouldn't be where I am today (wherever that is) without her sex appeal feeding my preteen (and later, teen), er, appetites.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52125
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Jul 2012, 01:20

the masked man wrote:The problem with the original Batman series was that it was too campy to take seriously.

How is that a dealbreaker?

I don't believe it was intended to be taken seriously.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
fire and fueryIre
Posts: 8749
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: Accredited BCB Pain in the Arse

Re: Best catwoman

Postby fire and fueryIre » 16 Jul 2012, 03:28

Julie Newmar for me, too!

Re campy/serious - surely the whole point of being campy is that it's not serious?
Image

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 38106
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Jul 2012, 06:12

Image
Image

User avatar
martha
rambling rose
Posts: 5263
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:41
Location: Self-imposed exile.

Re: Best catwoman

Postby martha » 16 Jul 2012, 07:27

Julie Newmar. Obviously.
--m.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11928
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Geezee » 16 Jul 2012, 13:11

slightbreeze wrote:
Cage Free Brown wrote:Julie Goddam Newmar!


Seconded! A goddess!


A scary one at that.

Image
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9649
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Best catwoman

Postby slightbreeze » 16 Jul 2012, 13:22

Geezee wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:
Cage Free Brown wrote:Julie Goddam Newmar!


Seconded! A goddess!


A scary one at that.

Image


Looks like she's used up her 9 lives :(

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 15107
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Best catwoman

Postby bobzilla77 » 17 Jul 2012, 00:15

Julie Newmar by some distance.

However if we had a Catwoman vs Batgirl thread....

Image
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.


User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4932
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Best catwoman

Postby algroth » 17 Jul 2012, 03:02

martha wrote:We are HUUUUGE batgirl fans in this house.

Veronica is not a "doll" fan, and she particularly hates barbies. But she asked Santa for a Batgirl Barbie so she could play with her friends without feeling like she had to compromise her own preferences when they play dolls. She didn't know how to play dolls "right" with them -- she wanted to fight dragons or catch bad guys and they wanted to shop and drive their barbie cars around or whatever it is girls do with Barbies -- I really wouldn't know.

So, Santa delivered a vintage Batgirl Barbie and her batcycle for her as well as a couple of barbie friends for her to play with -- Batman, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Martha Jones, Debbie Harry and Princess Leia. I tried to find the Mad Men dolls so daddy could be Roger Sterling, I could be Joan and our bad guy could be Betty Draper -- but they are too freaking expensive. Anyway now when she visists friends and they want to play dolls -- she can whip out Batgirl and play too and not be so bored with it all. And when they come to our house -- they don't have to bring barbies with them. She still doesn't play very often since she's more of a gamer and an arts and crafts kid than the sort to play with dolls, but when she does, she can even get my barbie hating ass to play with her now.

Image

Image

Image


Your daughter is a very cool gal! I hope my youngest sister (now 2 years old) grows to be more like her and less like my other young sister (15) who seems unhealthily obsessed with guys, showbiz, reggaeton and smartphones. :|

Was she the one who recognized Pikachu in my previous avatar?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15858
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Best catwoman

Postby pcqgod » 17 Jul 2012, 04:41

Julie Newmar.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
martha
rambling rose
Posts: 5263
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:41
Location: Self-imposed exile.

Re: Best catwoman

Postby martha » 19 Jul 2017, 20:09

algroth wrote:
martha wrote:We are HUUUUGE batgirl fans in this house.

Veronica is not a "doll" fan, and she particularly hates barbies. But she asked Santa for a Batgirl Barbie so she could play with her friends without feeling like she had to compromise her own preferences when they play dolls. She didn't know how to play dolls "right" with them -- she wanted to fight dragons or catch bad guys and they wanted to shop and drive their barbie cars around or whatever it is girls do with Barbies -- I really wouldn't know.

So, Santa delivered a vintage Batgirl Barbie and her batcycle for her as well as a couple of barbie friends for her to play with -- Batman, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Martha Jones, Debbie Harry and Princess Leia. I tried to find the Mad Men dolls so daddy could be Roger Sterling, I could be Joan and our bad guy could be Betty Draper -- but they are too freaking expensive. Anyway now when she visists friends and they want to play dolls -- she can whip out Batgirl and play too and not be so bored with it all. And when they come to our house -- they don't have to bring barbies with them. She still doesn't play very often since she's more of a gamer and an arts and crafts kid than the sort to play with dolls, but when she does, she can even get my barbie hating ass to play with her now.

Image

Image

Image


Your daughter is a very cool gal! I hope my youngest sister (now 2 years old) grows to be more like her and less like my other young sister (15) who seems unhealthily obsessed with guys, showbiz, reggaeton and smartphones. :|

Was she the one who recognized Pikachu in my previous avatar?


Yes. She is crazy for pokemon. I know this reply is old as heck, but I self-curate my posts online and was going through stuff that I've posted about the kid to be sure nothing is embarrassing to her today and saw this comment and realized I'd not replied.
--m.


User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 10164
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Sneelock » 19 Jul 2017, 20:29

I must say that, while I preferred JN that I always thought of Ertha Kitt & Lee Meriweather as "other" Catwomen.
John Astin was the WRONG Riddler. this must count for something.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 7069
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Best catwoman

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 19 Jul 2017, 20:34

Julie Newmar without a doubt.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5071
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Best catwoman

Postby zoomboogity » 19 Jul 2017, 20:59

slightbreeze wrote:A scary one at that.


She's 76 years old in that photo, and that was eight years ago. She's holding up pretty well.

And yeah, another vote for Miss Stupefyin' Jones!

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:John Astin was the WRONG Riddler. this must count for something.


True, but he made up for it with Gomez Addams and Evil Roy Slade. If those two roles were all he did, he'd still be a legend.
Image

"Quite."