BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

..and why not?
beenieman

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby beenieman » 23 Sep 2011, 02:29

toomanyhatz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
Davey Avon FatBoy wrote:I don't mind putting it together if nobody else is interested (if they are, I am happy to let them) - but how do you all see this working? Lists of 50 shows each - similar to the film poll? Can anyone think of a better structure?

This poll's format worked really well. We each vote for 50 & 100 emerge. I think it'll be fun.

It should be clear you are voting for a show at its best, in your view. That is if you vote for, say, MASH you are voting for the years you like. Your vote is for MASH but you are not excluding it because you didn't like all 11 years. And some may be voting for different eras which will come out in the discussion.

Actuslly that wasn't all that clear was it :D

I'd say we should treat it just like we'd treat a "favorite musical artists" thread- in other words, up to the perception of the lister. If I wanted to rank M*A*S*H* lower than "the Simpsons," for example, because I thought while it had higher highs, it wasn't consistent enough, that would be my decision.

As for the national divide, I agree it's bigger than it would be for films, but again there's a musical comparison- if we went by UK votes, the Smiths would finish higher than X or the Replacements, whereas a US vote might be the opposite. It's more a matter of some things not translating than lack of access as it is with TV shows, but it's not totally avoidable in any field. Might as well go with it and see what translates best/is universal.

I agree that 50's a bit much, though. I vote we make it 25.

I'd struggle to get below 50. Mind you I had a hard time getting 20 in the 60's albums poll.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

algroth

Postby algroth » 23 Sep 2011, 02:48

Not knowing much about TV shows, I also believe I might struggle to get 30 even. Hopefully I'll manage, though.

Also, what about mini-series? Do they form part of this?

algroth

Postby algroth » 23 Sep 2011, 02:49

kath wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Do we include documentaries?

and what about toons? as in jonny quest or something? (it's just an example, people.)

bouncebouncebounce. this sounds great.

Johnny Quest is a TV show/series. I think it would definitely count.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 23 Sep 2011, 03:10

I think if we're inclusive on what we let in then it won't be a problem to reach 50, but otherwise I'd struggle a bit too.

So by inclusive I mean TV programs, mini-series, documentaries made for TV, cartoons, but even perhaps special events that were televised. What do you think? For instance, one of my strongest and favourite TV watching memories was seeing the Berlin Wall come down...does that count, or is excluded because it was on the TV news?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 23 Sep 2011, 03:24

i don't have any probs coming up with 50. if you think about all the great tv serieses... classic tv to some of these killer recent cable shows... american, brit, et alia... the diff types of genre (comedy, drama, mystery, toonage, variety, action/cop crap, cult faves, performance, et alier)... i'm gonna end up having to slice and dice just to get down to 50.

i do think, ghost, that yer kinda *tv moments* thing might be a problem. unless yer gonna tie it to, say, a running news-based series or multi-parted doc, ya know? otherwise, we're gonna be TOOO wide open, methinks.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 23 Sep 2011, 03:27

kath wrote:i do think, ghost, that yer kinda *tv moments* thing might be a problem. unless yer gonna tie it to, say, a running news-based series or multi-parted doc, ya know? otherwise, we're gonna be TOOO wide open, methinks.

Yeah, I hear you, you're probably right. Otherwise it'll just be a list of Man Walks On Moon/Berlin Wall Comes Down/ Tiananmen Square etc etc which isn't really the point.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 23 Sep 2011, 04:58

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
kath wrote:i do think, ghost, that yer kinda *tv moments* thing might be a problem. unless yer gonna tie it to, say, a running news-based series or multi-parted doc, ya know? otherwise, we're gonna be TOOO wide open, methinks.

Yeah, I hear you, you're probably right. Otherwise it'll just be a list of Man Walks On Moon/Berlin Wall Comes Down/ Tiananmen Square etc etc which isn't really the point.

That's more like a 50 biggest events poll. We could do that for BCB.

> nextdoorland established
> Sea of Tunes original flounce
> first top 100 film poll held
> beenie says he enoys a low budget critically acclaimed movie

etc etc...

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 23 Sep 2011, 22:37

I think we should limit it to shows that were originally developed as an ongoing series (regardless of how many seasons or portions of a season they lasted). If we open it up to TV movies or mini-series, it gets too much. Are we limiting it to scripted TV, too? Do we want to consider talk shows and 'reality' shows?

algroth

Postby algroth » 23 Sep 2011, 22:53

geoffcowgill wrote:I think we should limit it to shows that were originally developed as an ongoing series (regardless of how many seasons or portions of a season they lasted). If we open it up to TV movies or mini-series, it gets too much. Are we limiting it to scripted TV, too? Do we want to consider talk shows and 'reality' shows?

What of series that were meant to last only one season? Say, for example, Dekalog, or Berlin Alexanderplatz.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 23 Sep 2011, 22:59

geoffcowgill wrote:I think we should limit it to shows that were originally developed as an ongoing series (regardless of how many seasons or portions of a season they lasted). If we open it up to TV movies or mini-series, it gets too much. Are we limiting it to scripted TV, too? Do we want to consider talk shows and 'reality' shows?

I've already chose Blue Peter, Flog It and Master Chef in my 50, I'm not going to lie about what I look(ed) forward to. :)
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Sep 2011, 08:01

Copehead wrote:

I've already chose Blue Peter, Flog It and Master Chef in my 50, I'm not going to lie about what I look(ed) forward to. :)

:D That's probably the type of stuff I'll include as well. I don't regard, generally speaking, television as being an important artistic medium, it's just there as a bit of entertainment and diversion. I expect my list will just be full of British programmes from twenty or thirty years ago.

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 24 Sep 2011, 13:18

Geoffcowgill:
Do we want to consider talk shows and 'reality' shows?

I would think so, Letterman, Ed Sullivan, Carson and so on.
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 24 Sep 2011, 15:53

algroth wrote:

What of series that were meant to last only one season? Say, for example, Dekalog, or Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Any number of classics of New German Cinema (and I'm not lumping the Kieslowski in there) were released as television initially because of the state of cinema in the 60s and 70s, but to me they were films. I just think the line blurs too much when we consider any film that first aired on TV. To me, and maybe this isn't a factually accurate distinction, something like Berlin Alexanderplatz is a TV show in terms of distribution, not form/medium.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 24 Sep 2011, 17:30

geoffcowgill wrote:
Any number of classics of New German Cinema (and I'm not lumping the Kieslowski in there) were released as television initially because of the state of cinema in the 60s and 70s, but to me they were films. I just think the line blurs too much when we consider any film that first aired on TV. To me, and maybe this isn't a factually accurate distinction, something like Berlin Alexanderplatz is a TV show in terms of distribution, not form/medium.

You think so? Fassbinder generally had no problem getting his films released cinematically, and Berlin Alexanderplatz is over 900 minutes long. Not even Jacques Rivette makes films which are that long....

This was definitely conceived as a television series; it's too long even to be a mini-series. Of course, it's shot with a cinematic eye, but its natural home is TV. As for the Dekalog, this was conceived as a series of self-contained but linked one-hour episodes. Perhaps the issue is muddied by the fact that two episodes were extended and released cinematically.

However, I'm uneasy with rules that excludes both programmes and other one-season classics like The Prisoner or The Singing Detective.

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 24 Sep 2011, 19:19

What about infomercials?

algroth

Postby algroth » 24 Sep 2011, 19:33

the masked man wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:

You think so? Fassbinder generally had no problem getting his films released cinematically, and Berlin Alexanderplatz is over 900 minutes long. Not even Jacques Rivette makes films which are that long....

This was definitely conceived as a television series; it's too long even to be a mini-series. Of course, it's shot with a cinematic eye, but its natural home is TV.

Yes. What Geoff says about New German cinema is true, but Berlin Alexanderplatz was intended as a series, not as a theatrical work (although it did recieve a theatrical release in some places) - you only need to look at the production companies involved to get an idea. Fassbinder also apparently wanted to make another version specifically for theatrical distribution, and although he never got around to make it, it showed that he was more than aware of the medium he was working with the project.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Sep 2011, 12:18

meetthesonics wrote:What about infomercials?

Do you mean tv ads?

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 25 Sep 2011, 13:23

Sort of, but never mind, was a joke.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 26 Sep 2011, 00:32

the masked man wrote: However, I'm uneasy with rules that excludes both programmes and other one-season classics like The Prisoner or The Singing Detective.

Yeah, me too. Sorry but I think that approach is just wrong. There are so many TV classics that were one-off or limited-run events, from Roots to Cathy Come Home, The War Game or Quatermass & The Pit. While I wouldn't necessarily vote for them, I bloody would vote for The Prisoner and The Singing Detective and if I can't then I would wonder what's the point of this poll at all.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 26 Sep 2011, 01:07

So the rules for the TV poll would be the same as for the Film poll in terms of picking 50 shows etc noting the following:

1. Series that only ran for one season may be included e.g. The Prisoner
2. One off events/shows/mini-series or TV movies are excluded e.g. no votes for Roots or Cathy Come Home or coverage of the moon landing
3. Reality & talk shows are included so you can vote for CBS Evening News, Carson or American Idol
4. Cartoons & childrens shows can be included, within the above rules
5. Commercials are excluded

I sense this isn't complicated enough for some people though :D

Return to “Screenadelica”