BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

..and why not?
User avatar
Owen
definitely not Travolta
Posts: 14658
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 22:52
Contact:

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Owen » 17 Sep 2011, 23:18

Almost all of the ones I have seen were on TV, no idea on the dimensions, even my current one is only a 25 or so inch square model so most were probably smaller than that. Quite a few were probably on a portable.

I think I've seen 5 on the big screen.

It does make a difference, I've only recently found somewhere that does regular revival showings but I do really enjoy seeing older movies with a crowd.

User avatar
Daddy Longlegs
Posts: 572
Joined: 16 Sep 2011, 18:30
Location: Not as far away as you think
Contact:

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 19 Sep 2011, 16:53

My apologies. I moved this to the Recently Viewed thread at viewtopic.php?f=32&t=92310&start=1880#p2932293 where it belongs.
"The fool who persists in his folly shall become wise."
- William Blake

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4643
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby algroth » 22 Sep 2011, 05:12

So is anyone going to do the TV show poll?

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 21773
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Sep 2011, 09:18

algroth wrote:So is anyone going to do the TV show poll?


How does a poll like that account for the UK/USA split - not to mention all of the other contributors from other countries?
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
beenieman
Posts: 15400
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 21:43

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby beenieman » 22 Sep 2011, 11:41

Davey Avon FatBoy wrote:
algroth wrote:So is anyone going to do the TV show poll?


How does a poll like that account for the UK/USA split - not to mention all of the other contributors from other countries?

Well for Right Graduate Profile & I all the Top 100 films were foreign and we lived with it.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4643
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby algroth » 22 Sep 2011, 14:13

beenieman wrote:
Davey Avon FatBoy wrote:
algroth wrote:So is anyone going to do the TV show poll?


How does a poll like that account for the UK/USA split - not to mention all of the other contributors from other countries?

Well for Right Graduate Profile & I all the Top 100 films were foreign and we lived with it.

Same for me, actually. I think we all have our favorite shows regardless of nationality.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 21773
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Sep 2011, 16:07

Sure we do. But we generally see and have access to seeing the same films. Talking tv with someone from the UK is always difficult as we have very different frames of reference.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

The Modernist

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby The Modernist » 22 Sep 2011, 17:20

a television poll would be interesting, but it wouldn't produce the talking points film does.

User avatar
beenieman
Posts: 15400
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 21:43

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby beenieman » 22 Sep 2011, 18:34

Davey Avon FatBoy wrote:Sure we do. But we generally see and have access to seeing the same films. Talking tv with someone from the UK is always difficult as we have very different frames of reference.

Out of 100 shows they'll be plenty where we all have the same frame of reference.

And where we don't that can be interesting too.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 21773
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Sep 2011, 18:46

I don't mind putting it together if nobody else is interested (if they are, I am happy to let them) - but how do you all see this working? Lists of 50 shows each - similar to the film poll? Can anyone think of a better structure?
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
Owen
definitely not Travolta
Posts: 14658
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 22:52
Contact:

BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Owen » 22 Sep 2011, 19:40

The various niche shows from different countries or periods would presumably get their individual votes and then get lost in the voting mix just like more personal choices do in the film votes. Not sure if that is a point for or against doing it.

I'd be quite interested in it, for comedy for example tv has been much more fertile ground than movies for quite a long time now but I very much doubt it would provoke debate and kickstart the board in the way the film one does.

but it would still be fun

User avatar
beenieman
Posts: 15400
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 21:43

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby beenieman » 22 Sep 2011, 20:13

Davey Avon FatBoy wrote:I don't mind putting it together if nobody else is interested (if they are, I am happy to let them) - but how do you all see this working? Lists of 50 shows each - similar to the film poll? Can anyone think of a better structure?

This poll's format worked really well. We each vote for 50 & 100 emerge. I think it'll be fun.

It should be clear you are voting for a show at its best, in your view. That is if you vote for, say, MASH you are voting for the years you like. Your vote is for MASH but you are not excluding it because you didn't like all 11 years. And some may be voting for different eras which will come out in the discussion.

Actuslly that wasn't all that clear was it :D
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22197
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Copehead » 22 Sep 2011, 20:35

I've got 62 TV shows written down already
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 28746
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Sep 2011, 21:01

50 is a bit much!
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.



Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Modernist

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby The Modernist » 23 Sep 2011, 00:49

Goat Boy wrote:50 is a bit much!


:)

Indeed.
I've only got Match Of The Day and The Sweeney so far.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22197
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Copehead » 23 Sep 2011, 01:09

TopCat G wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:50 is a bit much!


:)

Indeed.
I've only got Match Of The Day and The Sweeney so far.


You can have CI5 The Professionals from my list I have had to drop it.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 28746
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Sep 2011, 01:11

We need some online resources so feel free to post links folks.
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.



Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 28746
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Sep 2011, 01:16

Do we include documentaries?
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.



Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25140
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Sep 2011, 01:16

beenieman wrote:
Davey Avon FatBoy wrote:I don't mind putting it together if nobody else is interested (if they are, I am happy to let them) - but how do you all see this working? Lists of 50 shows each - similar to the film poll? Can anyone think of a better structure?

This poll's format worked really well. We each vote for 50 & 100 emerge. I think it'll be fun.

It should be clear you are voting for a show at its best, in your view. That is if you vote for, say, MASH you are voting for the years you like. Your vote is for MASH but you are not excluding it because you didn't like all 11 years. And some may be voting for different eras which will come out in the discussion.

Actuslly that wasn't all that clear was it :D


I'd say we should treat it just like we'd treat a "favorite musical artists" thread- in other words, up to the perception of the lister. If I wanted to rank M*A*S*H* lower than "the Simpsons," for example, because I thought while it had higher highs, it wasn't consistent enough, that would be my decision.

As for the national divide, I agree it's bigger than it would be for films, but again there's a musical comparison- if we went by UK votes, the Smiths would finish higher than X or the Replacements, whereas a US vote might be the opposite. It's more a matter of some things not translating than lack of access as it is with TV shows, but it's not totally avoidable in any field. Might as well go with it and see what translates best/is universal.

I agree that 50's a bit much, though. I vote we make it 25.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 31969
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby kath » 23 Sep 2011, 02:01

Goat Boy wrote:Do we include documentaries?


and what about toons? as in jonny quest or something? (it's just an example, people.)

bouncebouncebounce. this sounds great.


Return to “Screenadelica”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest