Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23668
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Sep 2018, 05:19

Jeemo wrote:Night of The Hunter. A wee bit dated and creaky in a few places. Its still a masterpiece


I think the dated and creaky places are some of the most enjoyable.

It’s a strange film. So stylized, it wants you at a distance. So the dated parts just seem to add to that.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29450
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Sep 2018, 04:37

Image
Open Range

This little known film (well, not to western buffs), is actually pretty good and while I don't know where I stand on the free range vs rancher debate, it's always nice to see a well-made oater in the 21st Century. Costner's best picture in this millennium. A fine German blu with English subtitles, a long making-of, and commentary by director Costner.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby driftin » 09 Sep 2018, 11:26

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Open Range

This little known film (well, not to western buffs), is actually pretty good and while I don't know where I stand on the free range vs rancher debate, it's always nice to see a well-made oater in the 21st Century. Costner's best picture in this millennium. A fine German blu with English subtitles, a long making-of, and commentary by director Costner.

That guy's face looks like it's been lifted from a PlayStation 3 cut scene.

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18030
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 09 Sep 2018, 11:40

The whole thing looks like a right load of cobblers
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29450
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Sep 2018, 14:54

Well, it definitely wouldn't be for you, John.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5738
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Sep 2018, 09:13

Image

Another low-budget horror, this one directly referencing the power of the telephone call in the likes of Scream, as two youtube phone pranksters are given a dose of their own medicine. Actually not bad for this kind of thing, though once again, you kind of hope everyone will die, so there's an absence of suspense.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52847
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Sep 2018, 16:15

Image

Outstanding, not just as a horror film, but as a film period. It's so much more nuanced and, frankly, entertaining than anything with teenagers getting terrorized for having sex, or families that move into a haunted house by mistake. This is head and shoulders above pretty much anything relying on genre tropes. In particular, the narrative pacing -- which has a way of defying your expectations -- is really satisfying.

Recommended without reservation.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5738
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Sep 2018, 16:57

Snarfyguy wrote:Outstanding, not just as a horror film, but as a film period. It's so much more nuanced and, frankly, entertaining than anything with teenagers getting terrorized for having sex, or families that move into a haunted house by mistake. This is head and shoulders above pretty much anything relying on genre tropes. In particular, the narrative pacing -- which has a way of defying your expectations -- is really satisfying.

Recommended without reservation.

Absolutely, I love that film. I also really want one of those Babadook pop-up books.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29450
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Sep 2018, 02:34

Image
Lonesome Dove
This, gentleman, (do ladies read Recent Viewing?) is the finest western of the '80s. Even Joan Coan, should he ever condescend to watch a six hour miniseries, would agree. It's also better than any theatrically released western of that particular decade. I should've spent twice as much and gotten the older version with subtitles though.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23668
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 14 Sep 2018, 03:29

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Lonesome Dove
This, gentleman, (do ladies read Recent Viewing?) is the finest western of the '80s. Even Joan Coan, should he ever condescend to watch a six hour miniseries, would agree. It's also better than any theatrically released western of that particular decade. I should've spent twice as much and gotten the older version with subtitles though.


I’ve never seen it. The 80s were a bad decade for Westerns anyhow, so your pronouncement isn’t a big stretch. But better than Heaven’s Gate?
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29450
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Sep 2018, 03:52

It's Robert Duvall's greatest role, not to mention his personal favorite. That alone should entice you.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18030
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 14 Sep 2018, 09:09

Life is too short for 80s westerns.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

caramba
Posts: 291
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby caramba » 14 Sep 2018, 09:10

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Lonesome Dove
This, gentleman, (do ladies read Recent Viewing?) is the finest western of the '80s. Even Joan Coan, should he ever condescend to watch a six hour miniseries, would agree. It's also better than any theatrically released western of that particular decade. I should've spent twice as much and gotten the older version with subtitles though.


Surely not only ladies but more than one gentleman read Recent Viewing, Matty, but you're right, LD is damn fine TV. Not so sure about the follow up they did which was also based on a Larry McMurtry novel. Anyone whose interested would also do well to check out L McM's son James, who's made a fair number of fine records and is superb live

caramba
Posts: 291
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby caramba » 14 Sep 2018, 09:12

driftin wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Open Range

This little known film (well, not to western buffs), is actually pretty good and while I don't know where I stand on the free range vs rancher debate, it's always nice to see a well-made oater in the 21st Century. Costner's best picture in this millennium. A fine German blu with English subtitles, a long making-of, and commentary by director Costner.

That guy's face looks like it's been lifted from a PlayStation 3 cut scene.


It was. But let's not be too harsh.

Poor old Kevin C had to find some way to claw back the huge amounts of royalties that vanished in a puff of smoke on first Waterworld and then The Postman. Anyone know how his anti-oil spill patents worked out?
Last edited by caramba on 14 Sep 2018, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29450
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Sep 2018, 14:17

caramba wrote: Not so sure about the follow up they did which was also based on a Larry McMurtry novel.


There were several follow ups.

Because of the great BCB interest in Duvall westerns, I shall have to review one more soon. Tender Mercies, maybe?
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52847
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Sep 2018, 14:57

Image

Lynne Ramsay is so fucking great. I need to see the rest of her movies (I've only seen this and Morvern Caller). Joaquin Phoenix is on point.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10172
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Samoan » 14 Sep 2018, 15:00

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Lonesome Dove
This, gentleman, (do ladies read Recent Viewing?) is the finest western of the '80s. Even Joan Coan, should he ever condescend to watch a six hour miniseries, would agree. It's also better than any theatrically released western of that particular decade. I should've spent twice as much and gotten the older version with subtitles though.


I’ve never seen it. The 80s were a bad decade for Westerns anyhow, so your pronouncement isn’t a big stretch. But better than Heaven’s Gate?

No 80s Western is better than Heaven's Gate.

Image
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29450
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Sep 2018, 03:37

Image
Day of the Jackal

Fred Zinnemann's fine thriller is given a new transfer with plenty of extras. One of the great British films of the '70s, its taut pacing and expert screenplay make for a grand evening. Open a bottle of wine and dig in. Edward Fox's best role?
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10172
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Samoan » 16 Sep 2018, 13:23


The House Of Mirth
based on the eponymous Edith Warton novel envelops us (well, just me probably) in the unadulterated savagery of the upper echelons of early 1900s New York society and the survival of the financially and unscrupulously fittest, all beautifully filmed and directed by Terence Davies.


Image
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20621
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 16 Sep 2018, 17:23

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Day of the Jackal

Fred Zinnemann's fine thriller is given a new transfer with plenty of extras. One of the great British films of the '70s, its taut pacing and expert screenplay make for a grand evening. Open a bottle of wine and dig in. Edward Fox's best role?


Great movie, Fox is fantastic in this. I cant think.of any other films that he is decent in. He's a plank of wood with a posh accent.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.