Westworld: the next must-see cable series?

..and why not?
pcqgod

Re: Westworld: the next must-see cable series?

Postby pcqgod » 16 Dec 2016, 16:00

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
They're not mutually exclusive points. Maybe "requirement" is the wrong word but my point is that it's vital for speculative fiction to present its world/environment realistically, so that the reader/viewer believes in its internal logic*.

If that doesn't take place (and I'd argue Westworld is only partially successful), then it's difficult to feel a depth of connection with the narrative and characters.

*in realist drama anyway, I get that postmodern fictions etc are doing something different.

One of my favorite sci-fi series ever was MTV's "Aeon Flux" -- and I'm referring to the full episode series rather than the preceding series of shorts. There was little-to-no character development and little continuing narrative because there was basically no continuity from episode to episode. A lot of it flat didn't make sense in any scientific way. But nearly every episode featured some mind-blowing concepts. Nevertheless, I'll grant that generally it's important for most fiction, even wildly speculative fiction, to have internal logic and continuity. I don't see that as a problem in "Westworld," myself, but I'm probably less nit-picky than you.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Dec 2016, 16:00

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Apr 2018, 14:54

Looks like we're not far off from Series 2. Anybody still keen to see what happens?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 Apr 2018, 15:01

Yeah I am, looking forward to it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Apr 2018, 16:21

Is the Man in Black going to be back? Thought I saw him in the promos.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Apr 2018, 01:42

If memory serves, he got shot at but not killed at the end of season 1, so i'm hoping/expecting to see him.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Apr 2018, 11:39

pcqgod wrote:Is the Man in Black going to be back? Thought I saw him in the promos.

Is that ed Harris's character? Yeah he's back. To be honest, as much as I loved the show it got a tiny bit too convoluted sometimes. Maybe I need to brush up on it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Apr 2018, 16:19

I definitely need to watch at least the final episode of season 1 again.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Apr 2018, 13:15

Nicely paced first episode, and I think sets up the season well.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Apr 2018, 15:58

It seems like they're going to have to invent a new character arc for Dolores. Maeve at least has a fresh story arc for this season set up already.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Apr 2018, 16:43

I think her arc is gonna be the leader of the revolt and the attempt to take over "our" world. That should keep her busy. That English cunt helping Maeve is still the shittest actor going.

Daddy Longlegs

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 07 Jun 2018, 18:55

Thoroughly enjoying season 2, the reflections on what is human, what is a singular instance of humanity, and can it be copied, Mauve, Delores, Bernard...even Ford and Arnold. Feeling a bit Fringe-like in spots (not a good thing, imo) and there have been a few places where the character's exposition feels forced as we set up the premise (such as the "mirror" versions of characters and story arcs in Shogun-world).

Sam noted that they rarely call the humans by name, but we seem to know all the hosts by their names. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Jun 2018, 17:02

Truthfully this past season was a real slog for me. Maybe I just want more action and less of this introspective hidden meanings/conspiracy/shifting reality stuff.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 27 Jun 2018, 07:12

I enjoyed Season 2 but it has been willfully convoluted and confusing. I’m not quite sure splitting the narratives into different timelines achieves much more than obscuring any sort of clarity. Ironically the finale seemed to be a lot clearer than many of the episodes that preceded it.
The biggest problem for me are the multiple deaths/resurrections. It becomes increasingly difficult to care what happens to any given character when one suspects they will return, in some form or another, down the line.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 17 Jul 2018, 16:47

I felt the collecting of data on the visitors thing was relevant.
This is a hallmark of science fiction: exploration of the concerns of modern society.

With the first series, I would often re-watch in small chunks while I was doing other things. 20 minutes here and there affording the opportunity to take it in with new insight. I plan to do this again.
Truthfully, it's been ages since a series captivated me so.

And though JJ Abrahms' name is on it, he's not so responsible for the stories. Which is surprising. Daddy issues is one of his recurring themes. Maybe that's become an SF thing in general. Just like how many children's stories don't have a parent present.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Jul 2018, 21:21

Sambient wrote:I felt the collecting of data on the visitors thing was relevant.
This is a hallmark of science fiction: exploration of the concerns of modern society.

Absolutely.

Daddy Longlegs

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 18 Jul 2018, 22:01

Sambient wrote: Daddy issues is one of his recurring themes. Maybe that's become an SF thing in general. Just like how many children's stories don't have a parent present.

Given that the audience for SF was historically young males, I'm almost surprised the Daddy theme isn't even more prevalent in that genre.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Sep 2018, 22:24

I was happy to see Thandie Newton win for best supporting actress at the Emmys last night. Even if I wasn't crazy about season 2 overall, she was tremendous in it.

Return to “Screenadelica”