Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Feb 2018, 18:02

The Silence of the Lambs

Still holds up, and I'm gonna say it's better than Se7en in terms of '90s serial killer movies. I also like it better than Manhunter - the first film with Hannibal in it. The '90s were great for film - much better than the '80s for me, and there's no comparison to the 21st Century - where everything seems to be about the Marvel universe, sequels, or inane comedies.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 24 Feb 2018, 19:28

I agree it's better than Se7en but can't separate it from Manhunter.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Feb 2018, 20:06

I prefer both Seven and Manhunter. They're both flawed in some ways, one by Brad Pitt, one by being the 80s, but I just don't get the appeal of Hammy Hopkins.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 24 Feb 2018, 20:55

Watched Shaun Of The Dead again last night, with director's commentary. Still stands up as one of the best British films of the 21st century. Granted, that's not exactly high praise in itself, given the poor quality of most Brit flicks, but this film fizzles with ideas. As the commentary points out, Edgar Wright's debut feature is very cleverly put together, with highly detailed frames where a lot happens in the background, a trick learned from Tati. And, as it features a very strong cast of British (and Irish) tv comic talent, the performances are very strong, inevitably.

What I took away from this viewing is how in the climax at the Winchester, the humour almost completely disappears for a while to be replaced by genuine tension and pathos. That's not an easy transition to make, but the drama is so well paced that it achieves this with ease. Inspired film-making.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Feb 2018, 16:38

Black Panther (2018)

Not the greatest Marvel movie to date as some early reviews would have you believe, but overall another success for the MCU, injecting some tense family drama and real-world issues to the more fantastic elements of the story. Michael B. Jordan is terrific as the lead villain, who is frankly more interesting than the lead character played by Chadwick Boseman. Andy Serkis gives his best villainous performance since Gollum and Martin Freeman does a good job of playing Martin Freeman. The movie suffers from featuring too much technology that might as well be magic (typical in MCU movies), especially in its use of "vibranium," a metal/fabric?/weapon/forcefield/cure for gun shots. BP being one of the more down-to-earth characters in the Marvel universe, I would have hoped the action would be more street-level brawling, but ultimately this could almost be another Star Wars movie with the amount of cgi characters and ships flying around. I realize that you have to strike a balance in superhero movie, but if three straight Captain America movies walked the perfect line between f/x and kick-ass fight scenes, it can be done!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Feb 2018, 20:58

Looks lovely, has a great cast, managed to be confusing and completely uninteresting at the same time.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Feb 2018, 09:27

Ultra-low budget 'found footage' horror, with a cast of one, directed by the same fella, shot entirely in his own house. He's not a particularly engaging lead, but I think it's his mild irritation at being confronted with the supernatural that makes the film. Quite entertaining, surprisingly.

caramba

Postby caramba » 26 Feb 2018, 09:52

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Looks lovely, has a great cast, managed to be confusing and completely uninteresting at the same time.

Magnificent cast aside and given that there's already a classic 5-hour, 7-part TV adaptation with Alec Guinness as Smiley, never seen the point of this 2-hour movie. Ultimately, its comparative brevity means most of the plot nuances for which Le Carre is famed will have to be glossed over. As someone (possibly the author himself) famously remarked of movie adaptations of novels like TTSS: "it's like trying to squeeze a buffalo into something the size of an OXO cube"

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Feb 2018, 12:14

I thought Tinker Tailor... was compelling. Beautifully shot and intelligent.

Not sure if we should be amused or insulted by the way the DVD cover replaces Toby Jones with a pretty lady!
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 26 Feb 2018, 12:49

I loved it too, but had no idea of what was going on half the time.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 13:59

Serpico

I didn’t think this was quite at the level as the best Hollywood films of the 70s but there’s a lot to recommend it. I’m a sucker for any film set in New York during that period anyway because I just love watching the city. I know the place had serious problems back then but there’s something so evocative about the place. Anyway, Pacino is great as the counterculture hero proving one man can actually make a difference and it has that gritty 70s realism that elevates movies from that period. I didn’t think it was too long either.

Persona

Every time I see it it’s a different experience for me. This time I viewed it more as a battle between two halves of the same person and the desire for both halves to achieve union. Sorta like Performance where you have Chas and Turner. Unlike Performance, however, there is no union, the public persona and soul remain tragically apart. I've talked about it before in the Film Club but it’s a hard movie to talk about because even though there are recognisable themes and ideas it somehow always seems tantalisingly out of your grasp. I think its greatness is that it manages to be both elusive yet profound. I've seen it 4 times now and I still don't full understand it all and I never will. It's huge, beautiful, mysterious, a film to get lost in and to return to again and again.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Mar 2018, 04:44

Tom Jones

It's always been somewhat fashionable to downplay this film's role in the history of British film. It's dated, to be sure, but still more than fitfully amusing. The narrator's lines are often the funniest thing in the screenplay and it made Finney (one of my fave actors) a star. Richardson may not have the reputation of Lindsay Anderson but this still deserves to be ranked alongside Look Back in Anger, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, This Sporting Life, and other Brit classics of the era. It was far more successful than any of those pictures as well.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Mar 2018, 20:22

Pretty good, I reckon. I know the style-over-substance accusation is thrown at this, but given that most modern Hollywood films have neither, a bit of style goes a long way. Surely Queen's "Brighton Rock" is a mis-step in an otherwise fairly hip selection of tracks?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 05 Mar 2018, 12:23

The Falls

I've really been getting into early Peter Greenaway shorts lately, which have a playful tone often missing from his later commercial features. This is the culmination of his early work, a three-hour pseudo-documentary that is so full of themes and links to his other work (notably regular characters such as Tulse Luper and Gang Lion) and to later films such as A Zed And Two Noughts and Drowning By Numbers, that I feel it requires several viewings. Several BBC-accented narrators take us through an encyclopedic pseudo-documentary relating to the 'Violent Unexplained Event' (VUE). The film then serves up an absurd set of listings, featuring found footage, static talking head shots and memorable images of British landscapes, both urban and rural.

The themes of the film relate to man's folly. The outcome of the VUE (which is never explained, appropriately enough) include fascination with flight (there are constant ornithological references), immortality and a desire to learn fictitious languages. The documentary aims to catalogue 92 victims of the VUE, all with surnames beginning with 'Fall' with 92 individual short films. Yet the project itself proves flawed. As well as an inability to explained what actually happened in the VUE, several films are missing for various reasons, including accusations of embezzlement, respect for bereavement, doubts about whether the person actually exists and even in one case outright fraud (the police have, apparently, been notified). What remains is beguiling but, of necessity, incomplete. Indeed one of the film's subjects claims not to be a victim of VUE, but developed similar symptoms independently. He still gets a segment.

Ultimately, humanity's desire to fly proves as fruitless as the attempts to compile a complete encyclopedia. But in this project's accumulation of footage there are endlessly amusing word games to entertain and bemuse. Possibly my favourite Greenaway film.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 05 Mar 2018, 14:57

We watched Waiting for Guffman last night - Christopher Guest is some kind of genius for sure.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Mar 2018, 19:12

The BBC have been showing some good independent films of late, if you prepared to stay up into the wee small hours. I must admit I didn't have high hopes for this one. The premise of two brothers growing up on a rough, gang dominated Hackney estate seemed, well a bit..hackneyed (sorry!). I was expecting something like 'Bullet Boy', well-intentioned but too indebted to its cliches. However I was wrong and this gripped me right away.
The first thing it had going for it was that it seemed so real. The dialogue and dialects were what you might hear in Inner London, rather than some white 40 year old's idea of how the yoof might speak. And this verisimilitude, aided by excellent naturalistic performances, helped in making their plight poignant and real. While there is the expected violence and conflict it emerges naturally from events rather than something to titilate audiences. Director Sally El Hosain brings a vivid, and at times poetic, eye to a world she seems to understand. The lead James Floyd was very charismatic and I can see him going places. The story goes to a very unexpected place, which I wasn't expecting, but which was handled very naturally and sensitively.
Best British film I've seen in many years (I'd pretty much given up on British independent cinema) and strongly recommended (catch it on iplayer).

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 05 Mar 2018, 19:43

Sounds good, G - I might give it a go this week.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Mar 2018, 20:23

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:Sounds good, G - I might give it a go this week.

Yeah do. It has an intelligence to it these urban dramas rarely have.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Mar 2018, 11:01

Embrace of the Serpent

I thought this was great and beautiful exploration of the personal and cultural effects of colonialism that managed to combine real world authenticity with more fantastical elements to create something rather magical. There’s obvious echoes of Herzogs work with Kinski in the jungles here but rather than being told from the point of view of a European visitor it’s told from the point of view of a native, a shaman called Karamakate, a lost soul and the last of his tribe who refers to himself as a “chullachaqui”, a sort of shadow spirit whose fading memory and isolation has left him rootless and without purpose. An encounter with a desperately sick German explorer as a young man leads him on a journey to reconnect with the tribe he believed were dead but also to recover a sacred plant that can save the Germans life but instead he is forced to confront the brutal reality of the European colonisation and the rubber industry as he ventures further into the darkness. Decades later another westerner, this time an American botanist searching for the same sacred plant appears and his journey back into the light can begin.

It’s a simple story but one that not only deals with the obvious stuff about colonialism but also touches on identity, ageing, the impermanence of memory and the exotic allure and magic of the Amazon and it beautifully shifts from documentary style realism towards some kind of hallucinatory, dreamlike parable without losing any of its simple, elegant power.

Fantastic Voyage

A Sunday afternoon matinee. I loved the psychedelic 60s special effects and there was some hilariously old fashioned male chauvinism going on (I think Raquel Welch had about ten lines) but it lacked the requisite tension to really make it pop. Would be nice to watch stoned.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Mar 2018, 19:49

Annihilation (2018)

Some interesting sci-fi concepts here. Visually compelling. Not as memorable as 'Ex Machina.'
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?