BCB 100 - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Postby geoffcowgill » 27 Aug 2006, 18:43

The Byrds' closest competition for Best American 60s Band, surely? Insanely prolific for such a brief time, like 27 albums in three years or something. There's filler in the oeuvre, no doubt about it, but an impeccable singles band with several other jewels scattered about that didn't make it onto Chronicles. Pendulum, their penultimate release, is an underrated should-be classic with a healthy and unusual helping of organ. Dig "Sailor's Lament", fer instance.

Despite the ubiquity of it and its assimilation into the Forest Gump Approved Baby Boomer Nostalgia Canon, "Fortunate Son" remains one of the angriest and most powerul rock songs ever to grace us with its snarl and bite.

Favorite Album - Pendulum

Favorite Song - "Fortunate Son"
Last edited by geoffcowgill on 29 Aug 2006, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 29 Aug 2006, 09:13

BUMP!
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Aug 2006, 09:27

Album: Bayou Country
song: green river

edit: I did choose 'cosmo's' and it's a fine choice but I changed my mind.
I think this one sounds a little 'swampier' and for me that's a good thing. I like how the songs go on a bit. Also, truth be told, I like the bitchin' album cover!
Last edited by Sneelock on 29 Aug 2006, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfman Raph
Northern Latin Lover

Postby Wolfman Raph » 29 Aug 2006, 09:29

Album: Cosmo's Factory

Song: Bad Moon Rising (how could a song with gloomy lyrics like these have been n°1...)
We can't go on forever with suspicious minds

Carlisle Wheeling

Re: BCB 100 - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 29 Aug 2006, 11:02

geoffcowgill wrote:The Byrds..... Best American 60s Band, surely?

:lol: do me a favour. Nearly spat out my toast.

To business:

Favorite Album - "Green River" (just, from "Bayou Country")

Favorite Song - "Born On The Bayou" One of the great b-sides. Bought it the same day I got Joe South's "Games People Play" b/w "Mirror Of Your Mind".

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2006, 11:07

there's something wonderfully simplistic about CCR, but i find it's easy to tire of them. best heard when you're least expecting it.

song: proud mary
album: the chronicle comps

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 29 Aug 2006, 12:12

My thoughts on CCR will be inextricably tied with a family holiday, way back in 1992, when seemingly the only "music" tape in the car was Chronicle (there were lots of story tapes, things like Spike Milligan and Roald Dahl, for instance). We travelled from the very top of the North Island right the way down to Bluff in the South Island. It was the first time we had done that as a family, so I think any music played during that trip would've become evocative, but it seems perfect that Creedence was the unwitting choice. So when I picked up Chronicle on CD, I guess it wasn't too surprising that I grew to love them again.

There's something about their music, the way it straddles itself between rootsiness and garage grunginess, yet is totally compact, in the playing and phrasing at all times. Fogerty was one of the great lyricists, too, with a real sense of how tell a story through a song, getting all the details right. I suppose there's too many songs to mention, but I just love the sound of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?," to say nothing of its plaintative tone. It's the echo on the guitar parts, I think, or the melancholy it conjures without going too far. "Lodi" is another one that gets me in that regard, just Fogerty's resigned delivery. Another point is how prolific they were in such a short space of time- they released not one, but three great albums in 1969 alone!

One of the era's great bands, without a doubt. And a special one for me, too, because of the associations.

Album: Green River. The best production and best arrangement of songs
Song: too many to mention at this moment, but I'll go with "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?"
Last edited by The Write Profile on 29 Aug 2006, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Aug 2006, 12:12

geoffcowgill wrote:an impeccable singles band

I count at least five essential albums. If you love Creedence, you are doing yourself a disservice by sticking with Chronicles.

It shouldn't be particularly controversial to rank them amongst the great American bands.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 29 Aug 2006, 12:19

geoffcowgill wrote:
Despite the ubiquity of it and its assimilation into the Forest Gump Approved Baby Boomer Nostalgia Canon, "Fortunate Son" remains one of the angriest and most powerul rock songs ever to grace us with its snarl and bite.

And yet, I didn't realise that until I actually took the time to listen to it without thinking of the Forest Gump aspect. Really, that film took the guts out of the song to a degree that it almost didn't recover, just the lazy way it deployed the song as emotional shorthand without the real substance or visuals to back it up. But listening to it, on its own can be very powerful indeed- it's the force of Fogerty's convictions and the way the music matches him for desperation.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Aug 2006, 13:15

Fogerty's one of the greatest songwriters still alive, especially during his time with CCR.
There fore you need THE BOX::

The singles, the standout album tracks, the lot.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

bixhenry

Postby bixhenry » 29 Aug 2006, 16:59

Count me as a huge fan. Forget the fact that we're probably all sick of hearing most of their big hits, but instead focus on the fact that in 1969, CCR recorded and released, in Bayou Country, Green River, and Willie And The Poor Boys, three undeniable, stone-classic American rock records. Fogerty was on fire as a writer. And the following year's Cosmo's Factory might even be their best album.

A phenomenal band, Fogerty's an amazing singer and writer, and responsible for one of the best artistic runs in rock history.

Album: Cosmo's Factory
Song: 'Up Around The Bend' - where supreme riffage and the sheer exuberance of making music come together, unforgettably
Wu-Tang Clan's Rza, on his non-rap influences: "Pink Floyd, Beatles, Yes...all them niggas!"

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Aug 2006, 16:59

So many great tracks from so many great LPs.

A great band

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Aug 2006, 18:56

I like what Geoff has to say about them. Any discussion of best bands of the period has to include them. And that 69/70 run is pretty staggering.

Album - Green River
Song - Pretty tough call, another one that'll probably change by the day. Right now Commotion. They rocked as hard as anyone.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2006, 19:20

One of the great rock and roll bands, I'm watching the DVD of their early tv performances right now, and they come over as Fogarty and his band, but I think they were a lot more than that, He never hit the highs again once they split up. Some of the best singles of the 60's and early 70's.

Album

Cosmo's Factory...so many brilliant songs, and the greatest guitar driven jam of all time in Heard it thru the grapevine.

Single Proud Mary.
You don't like me...do you?

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Aug 2006, 19:30

Keep on Chooglin'

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Aug 2006, 19:45

Great band and one that I have returned to in the last few years with immense enjoyment. Growing up with CCR blasting out of the radio, especially in the summer, was a great experience. The first album was one of my early lp purchases but it is long gone now. I just borrowed the lp from my neighbor last week and I was floored by how good the guitar and vocal are on I Put a Spell on You. The guitar in particular is amazing.

Favorite album - Cosmo Factory

Song - Born on the Bayou
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Aug 2006, 21:25

Six String wrote:Great band and one that I have returned to in the last few years with immense enjoyment. Growing up with CCR blasting out of the radio, especially in the summer, was a great experience.

Indeed.

The Concert LP is amazing - just a string of gems back to back played live (I flag it up because many may not have heard it)

Also...

Fogerty's Premonition played in front of an invited audience is worth having too

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 29 Aug 2006, 21:35

I love Creedence. Got the boxset shown above. An excellent object.

Album: Bayou Country
song: 'Fortunate Son'
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Aug 2006, 21:44

Album: Green River
Song: Green River

Fogerty is one of the top songwriters and singers rock & roll has produced. Modern bands as diverse as Gang of Four and The Minutemen, have cited CCR's musical influence on them.

Fortunate Son is one of the most personal and down-to-earth anti-war songs ever written. I'm sure more poor, drafted kids could relate to it vs. almost any other song.

I can get tired of them too having heard them so much for so much of my life, but a great, great band that seems to float under the radar for some reason.

I think it's because their songs always seem to have been there, that they're taken for granted.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Beno

Postby Beno » 29 Aug 2006, 22:02

Absolute first rate band, much underappreciated in the UK at least.

Album: Cosmo's factory just sneaks it over Willy & The Poorboys

Song: Fortunate Son - so many to choose for it could easily have been one of many

Return to “BCB 100”