BCB 100 - The Rolling Stones

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 25 Jul 2006, 17:44

Album: Sticky Fingers

Song: Tumbling Dice/Gimme Shelter
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jul 2006, 18:15

Can't offer much about them that hasn't been said before. I love the Jimmy Miller era, though the UK Aftermath is pretty great.

Album - Sticky Fingers. So deliciously dirty.
Song - It changes by the day, but to pick an underrated one no one else has picked yet - Rocks Off
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jul 2006, 18:55

I've mentioned before that I don't care that much for the Stones, so I won't bother going into detail again here. Not least because I still haven't really figured out why I don't like them that much, but I think it's just a combination of several different factors. I enjoy them enough to own Forty Licks, but get bored listening to the first disc all the way through and the less said about most of the second the better.
I will, however, point out that I saw the video for Start Me Up the other day and as a result will never be able to take them at all seriously ever again - either on record or as 'the greatest rock and roll band ever' or whatever they're supposed to be.
Favourite song is Paint It Black, one of half a dozen or so that I do listen to fairly frequently.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 25 Jul 2006, 18:57

The Penk wrote:I've mentioned before that I don't care that much for the Stones, so I won't bother going into detail again here. Not least because I still haven't really figured out why I don't like them that much, but I think it's just a combination of several different factors. I enjoy them enough to own Forty Licks, but get bored listening to the first disc all the way through and the less said about most of the second the better.
I will, however, point out that I saw the video for Start Me Up the other day and as a result will never be able to take them at all seriously ever again - either on record or as 'the greatest rock and roll band ever' or whatever they're supposed to be.
Favourite song is Paint It Black, one of half a dozen or so that I do listen to fairly frequently.

"Have the Rolling Stones killed..."
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Jul 2006, 18:59

The Penk wrote:Start Me Up

That song is shit. With the Stones, you should try to pretend they stopped existing before they put it out.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jul 2006, 19:02

Snarfyguy wrote:

That song is shit.

Does it make a grown man cry?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jul 2006, 19:10

Snarfyguy wrote:

That song is shit. With the Stones, you should try to pretend they stopped existing before they put it out.

Have you seen the video though? That's enough to make you want to pretend they never existed at all.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Jul 2006, 19:14

The Penk wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Have you seen the video though? That's enough to make you want to pretend they never existed at all.

I haven't, that I recall, and I'll do my best to avoid it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 25 Jul 2006, 19:17

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Penk wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Does it include Jagger's coked-out rooster routine? I seem to recall that it does. And he's dressed like an areobics instructor too, I think, which doesn't help. I could be smooshing all the 80's Stones videos together come to think of it..."

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Jul 2006, 19:30

every one of their albums up to and including exile, has been my favourite at some point. similarly it's impossible to settle on a single song. it depends on how i'm feeling at the time, and at the moment i'm really into their early albums and singles.

album: out of our heads (US)

i picked this up second hand for a couple euros a few months back. the only reason i got it was because it has 'one more try' which is unavailble on any other cd. the song itself is nothing special, but the album as a whole is a great selection.

song: empty heart

i love all the recordings they made at chess. this is a great punky blues stomper. simple, but it sounds great.
Last edited by Bungo the Mungo on 25 Jul 2006, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Jul 2006, 19:32

soul-a-skope wrote:song: empty heart

Great choice!

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 25 Jul 2006, 19:33

Prince Of Peace wrote:Album: Sticky Fingers (any other answer is elitist shite)

Unless you are offended by Booby fucking Keys' endless honking.

Let It Bleed

Gimme Shelter
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 25 Jul 2006, 19:41

pig bodine wrote:The Start Me Up video is indeed horrible, but you should see the one for Hang Fire. I think he has the same goofy outfit on, and he spends the whole time swallowing phlegm between verses.

His own, one would hope.

NMB

Postby NMB » 25 Jul 2006, 19:44

Well obviously the best album is Beggars Banquet but there isn't a best song - there are probably a hundred plus that I love equally. But the one I feel most like playing right now is Claudine from the No Stone Unturned bootleg so I'm plumping for that.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Jul 2006, 20:03

The Slider wrote:
Prince Of Peace wrote:Album: Sticky Fingers (any other answer is elitist shite)

Unless you are offended by Booby fucking Keys' endless honking.

I don't think the horns really work even on The Stones' best albums, apart from Rocks Off and Loving Cup - most especially live. They're always sloppy, timing-wise; often out of tune; generally sounding like the players are out of breath.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 25 Jul 2006, 20:06

Song: 'Jumping Jack Flash'. And Jagger isn't (too) embarrassing in the video either.

Album: Let It Bleed is better as an album than anything else they've done.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jul 2006, 20:59

Clippernolan wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
The Penk wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Does it include Jagger's coked-out rooster routine? I seem to recall that it does. And he's dressed like an areobics instructor too, I think, which doesn't help. I could be smooshing all the 80's Stones videos together come to think of it..."

No that's the one. Wood gurns his arse off in it and Wyman and Watts keep giving these silly little looks to the camera and each other, they're clearly supposed to be wry or to signify that they're enjoying themselves but they look like complete pillocks.
It's like someone replaced the whole band with Brian May.
Last edited by Penk! on 25 Jul 2006, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Jul 2006, 21:09

The Penk wrote:
pig bodine wrote:The Start Me Up video is indeed horrible, but you should see the one for Hang Fire. I think he has the same goofy outfit on, and he spends the whole time swallowing phlegm between verses.

No that's the one. Wood gurns his arse off in it and Wyman and Watts keep giving these silly little looks to the camera and each other, they're clearly supposed to be wry or to signify that they're enjoying themselves but they look like complete pillocks.
It's like someone replaced the whole band with Brian May.

:lol:

Can you imagine? A band made up entirely of Brian Mays?

Thread idea!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jul 2006, 21:10

I seem to have quoted the wrong post there. :?

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 25 Jul 2006, 21:21

I think the last time i played Sticky Fingers i enjoyed it so much i decided it was my favourite.
There are times, however, when only Exile will do.
Beggars was my introduction to Stones albums, after years of bopping to compilations at university; so it holds a special place in my affections.

Let it Bleed has held the position for so long i will stick with it for these purposes. There's very little to choose of course; and, honestly, nothing before or after has really come close has it.

Song : Sympathy for the Devil

Return to “BCB 100”