BCB 100 - The Rolling Stones

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - The Rolling Stones

Postby geoffcowgill » 25 Jul 2006, 16:21

My prediction for album picks - two to three votes for the first album, maybe one for Now, and the rest split fairly evenly among the Jimmy Miller run. Maybe a Some Girls vote will sneak in. I doubt if there's any other group/artist of their stature who generate such consistency in what people regard as their best work. Makes you believe in some cases there is such a thing as objective truth when it comes to the quality of art.

I always used to say Let It Bleed was my favorite, but I think I've now come around to preferring Sticky Fingers. I feel like losing my religion, committing adultery, quitting my job, or some such nervy shift in lifestyle.

Favorite song is never in doubt.

Favorite Album - Sticky Fingers

Favorite Song - "Gimme Shelter"

Bungo the Mungo

Re: BCB 100 - The Rolling Stones

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Jul 2006, 16:25

geoffcowgill wrote:I doubt if there's any other group/artist of their stature who generate such consistency in what people regard as their best work. Makes you believe in some cases there is such a thing as objective truth when it comes to the quality of art.

That's a very interesting point. You're dead right, of course. And 'Exile In Main Street' will win the album choice.

I still think 'Beggars..' and '..Bleed' are half-decent albums only, but there you go. What hasn't been said?

'Satanic Majesties...' stands up. And 'Between The Buttons'. Their two overlooked little diamonds?

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 25 Jul 2006, 16:26

Album - Sticky Fingers

Songs - geez, there's so many. Moonlight Mile, I guess.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jul 2006, 16:28

Second only to the Beatles, and that's saying something.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 25 Jul 2006, 16:42

Album: Perhaps not so surprising, but it’s Sticky Fingers. I assert that when people say that something sounds “Stonesy”, it’s this album that they’re using as a guide and not Exile, as good as Exile is. There is something compact about Sticky Fingers. something that feels definitive in terms of the presentation of the band, and of the songs by the same measure. There have been times when the Stones have defined their sound (Exile) and other times when the songs were presented well in their order on the record to make it a statement (name a record between ’68 and ’72). But with this one, it’s both.

Song: Very, very tough. There are so many I could choose, but one that has really turned my crank in recent years has been “Live With Me”. It’s got everything you need from the Stones– the intertwining guitars, the Chuck Berry-isms, the class-war lyrics, dirty sex, and a hint of sexism that’s more playful than offensive. Plus, that bass line by Keith kicks it up by several notches, and Mick Taylor’s neat little stabs of lead and supplementary rhythm bits helps to make it sound absolutely dangerous. I even like Bobby Keyes’ sax, which ties it to a classic 50’s R&B tradition. And who is that on piano – Stew, or Nicky Hopkins? Either way, the piano part gives the tune even more guts, if that’s possible.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 25 Jul 2006, 16:45

The heart and soul of rock'nroll. The greatest band ever, both live and on record. Somewhat unusually I prefer the Stones from Let it bleed forwards, particularly where they have that enormous tongue stuck firmly in their collective cheek, though obviously the sixties classics are classics.

Album - Let it bleed

Song - as noted above there's so many:- Emotional Rescue, Too Rude, You don't have to mean it...for a long time my favourite was You can't always get what you want, but recently I've been a big fan of Street Fighting Man. HOWEVER, I'm going to pick one with brilliant lyrics that really hammers home live - Tumblin' Dice.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 25 Jul 2006, 16:50

Matt Wilson wrote:Second only to the Beatles, and that's saying something....

...in the way she moves?

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 25 Jul 2006, 16:52

Album Exile On Main Street (of course)

Song She Said Yeah (there are just too many, so I thought I'd look smart and pick a relatively obscure one. It IS fantastic though)

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 25 Jul 2006, 16:52

Album: Sticky Fingers (any other answer is elitist shite)

Track: Gimme Shelter? Moonlight Mile? Jeez........... Gimme Shelter.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jul 2006, 16:52

Prince Of Peace wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Second only to the Beatles, and that's saying something....

...in the way she moves?

Or looks my way, or calls my name,
That seems to leave this troubled world behind.

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 25 Jul 2006, 16:56

neverknows wrote:
Angel Heart wrote:Emotional Rescue, Too Rude, You don't have to mean it...

:shock: I mean, to each his own, but seldom do you see those mentioned as contenders for 'best Rolling Stones song'.

He likes Madonna and Kylie too........

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 25 Jul 2006, 17:04

It's weird how I go through patterns and love affairs with their albums. Sometimes I'll go a few weeks where the only one I listen to is Undercover. Sometimes I just want to hear Memo From Turner over and over again. Hell, even Voodoo Lounge has gotten a lot of love from me the past year or so. I'm so unashamedly in love with this band and what they have done and continue to do that I just can't view any of it objectively anymore. They are also forging ahead into a realm that no rock and roll band has ever done before and they continue to get shit for doing so. Too old, my ass. But people still go see them and buy their new records. It goes beyond relevancy into something entirely different. It's just all a part of so many lives and so intertwined into western culture that it's almost depressing to know that someday we won't have them to kick around anymore.

Album: Sticky Fingers

Song: Sway

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 25 Jul 2006, 17:06

Album: Let It Bleed

Track: Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no Gimme Shelter no Midnight Rambler no......

Midnight Rambler.

&

Postby & » 25 Jul 2006, 17:07

Ah, The Red Hot Chili Peppers of the seventies!

Album: 'Let It Bleed'

Song: 'Monkey Man' or 'Sway'. One of 'em has the coolest riff ever, the other has perhaps the greatest lead guitar bit on a studio record. Both of them reek of atmosphere as well.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Jul 2006, 17:14

Album: Through the Past Darkly (sorry if that's cheating)

Song: Monkey Man
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 25 Jul 2006, 17:16

Song - Gimme shelter although i seem to be addicted to Love in Vain right now

Album - sticky fingers

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Jul 2006, 17:30

album: Let it Bleed (any other answer is elitist shit :))
song: Sister Morphine

&

Postby & » 25 Jul 2006, 17:37

Sneelock wrote:album: Let it Bleed (any other answer is elitist shit :))

:D
Yes!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jul 2006, 17:38

Dark Clark, esq. wrote:
Sneelock wrote:album: Let it Bleed (any other answer is elitist shit :))

:D
Yes!

For the most part I agree, with a caveat:

Ditch the Gram-inspired "Country Honk" in favor of the single.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Jul 2006, 17:40

as you like.
me, I have a little drinking game I enjoy with that track.
it involves drinking from the bottle and singing along.
I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Return to “BCB 100”