BCB 100 - Love

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
lemon

Postby lemon » 24 Jul 2006, 21:50

Album - Forever Changes

Song - The Daily Planet - The drumming is fucking fantastic.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jul 2006, 22:10

Album: Forever Changes

Song: Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clarke And Hilldale

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Jul 2006, 22:13

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:
The Penk wrote:Forever Changes is the only album I've got, though I do keep meaning to investigate the others. It's very good, but as a whole it isn't quite great. An album of good songs with two or three really special ones, the best of which is of course You Set the Scene.

Sorry, missed the above post.

"isn't quite great"???

Laughable.

Or, as Carlsson would say, "Cloth ears".

I've had plenty of abuse round here but I think this is the first time someone's had a go at me for liking something they like too. :(
Maybe it's just me, but I find that the first and last songs are the only really special ones there. The rest varies from good to very good but though it's consistently strong it doesn't really hit the heights often enough for me.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 25 Jul 2006, 01:44

The Penk wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I find that the first and last songs are the only really special ones there. The rest varies from good to very good but though it's consistently strong it doesn't really hit the heights often enough for me.

That's exactly how I felt for a very long time. Then, one day the greatness of the other songs hit me like a ton of bricks. Now I wouldn't be without them. This has happened to others also and it may happen to you too, The Penk.

Song: "7 And 7 Is..."
(though I'm tempted to say "Robert Montgomery" or "Your Mind and We Belong Together" because they're relatively underrated)
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 25 Jul 2006, 01:54

Album - guess

Song - The Red Telephone

I agree with what Feeb said about sticking with it. It took me almost 20 years to finally see the light. One day I gave it another chance and it was like..."Ahhh, I get it now."
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 25 Jul 2006, 01:56

The Penk wrote:
Carlisle Wheeling wrote:
The Penk wrote:Forever Changes is the only album I've got, though I do keep meaning to investigate the others. It's very good, but as a whole it isn't quite great. An album of good songs with two or three really special ones, the best of which is of course You Set the Scene.

Sorry, missed the above post.

"isn't quite great"???

Laughable.

Or, as Carlsson would say, "Cloth ears".

I've had plenty of abuse round here but I think this is the first time someone's had a go at me for liking something they like too. :(
Maybe it's just me, but I find that the first and last songs are the only really special ones there. The rest varies from good to very good but though it's consistently strong it doesn't really hit the heights often enough for me.

"Abuse? Sorry, it's being hit in the head lessons in here." :D

Sorry Penky, it was tongue-in-cheek really. You're entitled to like whatever you like. It's one of those albums that creates its own world, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, as long as you say nothing bad about The Monkees, we'll get on fine.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 25 Jul 2006, 06:51

It's interesting that, "Revelations" aside, Da Capo is always on the point of overheating. That first side is so vacuum packed, "Seven and Seven Is" just seethes with venom, that pushy guitar riff cuts a swathe through everything in its path. That, and Lee's urgent, impetuous delivery make it one of the standouts (it was my Love choice for the BCB Cup, for instance). Or maybe "Stepahnie Knows Who," and its relentless self-questioning- perhaps it's that track, with its oddly baroque (though still grungey) touches, prefigures Forever Changes. In short, that first half rocks like an absolute bastard.

Regarding Forever Changes, I love the fact that the paranoia and optimism frequently crash against another throughout, even within "Alone Again Or" that mood is established- does anyone else find that horn section somewhat apprehensive. Of course, Lee even goes so far to wash his hands of the drum in "Bummer in the Summer" ranting against everything. But then, he realises that maybe the price he will pay is all worth it- "You Set the Scene" quivers, then settles for eurphoria. I might go and play it now, actually- I'll see if I can add anything else to this.
Last edited by The Write Profile on 25 Jul 2006, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Jul 2006, 07:05

Love was just one of many groups highly touted by The Rolling Stone Record Guide, which was one of my bibles for learning about rock music growing up. When I picked up Foreever Changes, it took about ten seconds before I was in love with "The Daily Planet"; it's still possibly my favorite on that album. Soon, I was loving the whole album. I don't know why it resonated to easily with me, but being impressionable and living in Southern California both probably helped.

Later, I picked up Da Capo and the first one. I paid good money for gold label Elektra versions of these (they weren't available any other way, I don't think), so I always treasured them and thought I needed to love them. They weren't as easy to love as FC, but they both intrigued me.

Nowadays, though I can stand up for it, I don't really listen to FC much. (Or any other Love, for that matter, but if I were to, it would be the first one or Da Capo.) But it always confuses me when people say they have a hard time getting into it because I found it so easy -- so tuneful, good trippy lyrics. But unlike some albums, it doesn't bother me either way. I'm easygoing about it, and I think the album is too. It doesn't mind if you don't get it right away...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Jul 2006, 10:56

Quaco wrote:But it always confuses me when people say they have a hard time getting into [Forever Changes] because I found it so easy -- so tuneful, good trippy lyrics. But unlike some albums, it doesn't bother me either way. I'm easygoing about it, and I think the album is too. It doesn't mind if you don't get it right away...

I had a bit of a hard time initially (apart from the 'rocking' tracks, and 'Alone Again Or') because the music seemed almost stylistically medieval to me. The melodies aren't typical for the rock idiom, they meander and stroll, they're accompanied by harps and harpsichords and trumpets and strings and for someone who was reared on a straight whitebread rock and roll diet, this stuff is like foie gras. Difficult to take initially, just 'cos of what you're used to. But by no means objectively hard work or anything.

I can see me digging this when I'm 60, I think! It really is an extraordinary album.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 25 Jul 2006, 10:59

Track: She comes in colours

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jul 2006, 11:17

Sir John Coan wrote:
Quaco wrote:But it always confuses me when people say they have a hard time getting into [Forever Changes] because I found it so easy -- so tuneful, good trippy lyrics. But unlike some albums, it doesn't bother me either way. I'm easygoing about it, and I think the album is too. It doesn't mind if you don't get it right away...

I had a bit of a hard time initially (apart from the 'rocking' tracks, and 'Alone Again Or') because the music seemed almost stylistically medieval to me. The melodies aren't typical for the rock idiom, they meander and stroll, they're accompanied by harps and harpsichords and trumpets and strings and for someone who was reared on a straight whitebread rock and roll diet, this stuff is like foie gras. Difficult to take initially, just 'cos of what you're used to. But by no means objectively hard work or anything.

I think this is a good summary of why many struggle with the album (and why a minority still can't get into it) initially. You could add to the above Arthur's mannered, rather anglosised vocals too I guess.
Like Quaco it was never a problem for me, and my engagement with the album was instantaneous. But then I've always been drawn to things outside the rock idiom anyway.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 25 Jul 2006, 13:15

Jeff K wrote:Album - guess

Song - The Red Telephone

... is, for me, the right answer.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jul 2006, 15:48

Quaco wrote:Love was just one of many groups highly touted by The Rolling Stone Record Guide, which was one of my bibles for learning about rock music growing up.

If I ever said this I'd never hear the end of it...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Jul 2006, 18:44

Sir John Coan wrote:

I can see me digging this when I'm 60, I think! It really is an extraordinary album.

I seems different than so much of the other music from the '60s that used harpsichords, etc., though, doesn't it? To me, it's miles away from "orch pop" like Millennium, though it is considered one of the bases for it.

People always talk about the darkness or the end-of-the-sixties vibe. I think the orchestration was basically a really bad idea that somehow worked. I'm surprised there is no "basic tracks" version out there. It would be really interesting to hear.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 25 Jul 2006, 19:46

Matt Wilson wrote:
Quaco wrote:Love was just one of many groups highly touted by The Rolling Stone Record Guide, which was one of my bibles for learning about rock music growing up.

You already did.
And you don't.
The Complete Roxy Music Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jul 2006, 19:48

The Slider wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

You already did.
And you don't.

At least Rolling Stone never promoted capes.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Jul 2006, 19:51

Matt Wilson wrote:
The Slider wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

You already did.
And you don't.

At least Rolling Stone never promoted capes.

didn't one of the byrds wear a cape? :D

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 25 Jul 2006, 19:51

And he is mighty pissed off about it too.

The Complete Roxy Music Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 25 Jul 2006, 19:52

soul-a-skope wrote:didn't one of the byrds wear a cape? :D

:lol:
The Cros was notorious for them.

Mind, it is a bit of a subtle one.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 25 Jul 2006, 20:03

neverknows wrote:
Quaco wrote: (…) I'm surprised there is no "basic tracks" version out there. It would be really interesting to hear.

My guess is it would show that this album is a case of the painting holding the wall.

:mrgreen:

Perfect metaphor. That album is a broken wall being held together by a rather thickly applied, absolutely conventional paint job.