BCB 100 - Love

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Love

Postby geoffcowgill » 24 Jul 2006, 16:25

I only have Forever Changes and have only heard a couple of other tracks. The best song I know of theirs is "Maybe The People Would Be The Times..." There are several other songs from this time and place that have a similar sort of mellow tension, but I don't think anyone ever crafted it so well. That vocal duet with the trumpet is the epitome of the glee this song creates. A nearly perfect skewed pop concoction.

Favorites Song - "Maybe The People Would Be The Times or Between Clark And Hilldale"

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 24 Jul 2006, 16:26

Album: Forever Changes Live

Track : You Set The Scene (which is, still the greateast track ever released - official, like) - Live.
Last edited by Prince Of Peace on 24 Jul 2006, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 24 Jul 2006, 16:26

Well, this should be easy:

Forever Changes
Alone Again Or

The whole LP is just great, but there really is something special about the opening track.

brilleaux

Postby brilleaux » 24 Jul 2006, 16:31

Track: "Live And Let Live"
"I am a dull and simple lad. Cannot tell water from champagne."

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jul 2006, 17:00

'Forever Changes' has been the slowest grower in my collection. I now love it more than most other albums I have - it's probably a work of genius. Nothing else sounds like it, and it could only have come out of those wild, strange times. It's a beautiful album, best heard late at night.

I quite like the follow-up (the name eludes me at the moment) - at least two tracks are great. The man was a one-off, and it shows.

We're going to have a lot of posters saying the first side of 'Da Capo' was their finest hour, and you won't find any disagreement here. 'She Comes in Colours' is fabulous.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jul 2006, 17:03

Sir John Coan wrote:'Forever Changes' has been the slowest grower in my collection. I now love it more than most other albums I have - it's probably a work of genius. Nothing else sounds like it, and it could only have come out of those wild, strange times. It's a beautiful album, best heard late at night.

I quite like the follow-up (the name eludes me at the moment) - at least two tracks are great. The man was a one-off, and it shows.

We're going to have a lot of posters saying the first side of 'Da Capo' was their finest hour, and you won't find any disagreement here. 'She Comes in Colours' is fabulous.

Careful, Coan--your hippie roots are showing.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jul 2006, 17:11

Matt Wilson wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:'Forever Changes' has been the slowest grower in my collection. I now love it more than most other albums I have - it's probably a work of genius. Nothing else sounds like it, and it could only have come out of those wild, strange times. It's a beautiful album, best heard late at night.

Careful, Coan--your hippie roots are showing.

I suppose you're joking, and I know it's been discussed before, but there's a paranoia and a harshness on display there that's very much at odds with the hippy ideal. Musically, tho', I suppose it's very 'sunny' much of the time.

Aren't we overrating 'You Set The Scene' just a tad, btw?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jul 2006, 17:15

Sir John Coan wrote:I suppose you're joking, and I know it's been discussed before, but there's a paranoia and a harshness on display there that's very much at odds with the hippy ideal. Musically, tho', I suppose it's very 'sunny' much of the time.

No, I'm not joking--and this belief that certain BCBers have (stand up, Toomanyhatz!) that hippies were always passive, love children with never a darker world view is ridiculous.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Jul 2006, 17:17

Forever Changes is the only album I've got, though I do keep meaning to investigate the others. It's very good, but as a whole it isn't quite great. An album of good songs with two or three really special ones, the best of which is of course You Set the Scene.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

McBastard

Postby McBastard » 24 Jul 2006, 17:18

Prince Of Peace wrote:Album: Forever Changes Live

Track : You Set The Scene (which is, still the greateast track ever released - official, like).

Almost exactly agree - although I prefer the live You Set The Scene, the whole album isn't quite as good as the original.
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 24 Jul 2006, 17:27

droolboy wrote:

Track : You Set The Scene (which is, still the greateast track ever released - official, like)- live

Almost exactly agree - although I prefer the live You Set The Scene, the whole album isn't quite as good as the original.

So do I. I'll alter my original post.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 24 Jul 2006, 17:39

Album: Out Here

Song: Run To The Top

Don't get me wrong, I've loved Forever Changes since, well, forever. I'm a ZigZag / Dark Star guy BUT if I had to choose...

And the original Out Here gatefold sleeve, without the title lettering (which was added for later CD releases) is one of my all time favourites too...

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 24 Jul 2006, 17:42

Love and Da Capo are both great, really snotty snarly garage pop albums (and actual consistently good albums, which is quite rare for the period and genre). all the dark stuff from forever changes makes sense in that context.

Album Forever Changes
song - signed DC

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 24 Jul 2006, 17:43

The Penk wrote:Forever Changes is the only album I've got, though I do keep meaning to investigate the others. It's very good, but as a whole it isn't quite great. An album of good songs with two or three really special ones, the best of which is of course You Set the Scene.

Sorry, missed the above post.

"isn't quite great"???

Laughable.

Or, as Carlsson would say, "Cloth ears".

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 24 Jul 2006, 18:19

Prince Of Peace wrote:
droolboy wrote:

Track : You Set The Scene (which is, still the greateast track ever released - official, like)- live

So do I. I'll alter my original post.

In which case I can agree with you.

If side two of Da Capo were even remotely good, it may compete for my album choice, but it isn't so it doesn't.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jul 2006, 18:29

Matt Wilson wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:I suppose you're joking, and I know it's been discussed before, but there's a paranoia and a harshness on display there that's very much at odds with the hippy ideal. Musically, tho', I suppose it's very 'sunny' much of the time.

No, I'm not joking--and this belief that certain BCBers have (stand up, Toomanyhatz!) that hippies were always passive, love children with never a darker world view is ridiculous.

No, what's ridiculous is the notion that anyone who was around in the sixties, had long hair and did drugs was a hippie. As best exemplified by your absurd notion that Charles Manson was a hippie.

Album - Forever Changes, but Da Capo's pretty great too.
Song - Seven and Seven Is
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jul 2006, 18:32

toomanyhatz wrote:No, what's ridiculous is the notion that anyone who was around in the sixties, had long hair and did drugs was a hippie. As best exemplified by your absurd notion that Charles Manson was a hippie.

Richard Thompson too.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Jul 2006, 18:35

Song: Que Vida
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Beno

Postby Beno » 24 Jul 2006, 21:35

Album: Forever Changes

Song: Could be any of six or seven on FC but I'll go for 'Live & Let Live'.

Just whizzing through the tracks on FC I've just been reminded what a truly great album it is.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 24 Jul 2006, 21:43

Album: Forever Changes

Track: Alone Again Or
Don't fight the hypothetical

Return to “BCB 100”