BCB 100 - U2

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Jul 2006, 16:57

Sir John Coan wrote:
The Giraffe wrote:
RcL wrote:Not a huge fan of it, but I think With Or Without You is a classic song - much better than the overrated schmaltz of One

like "with or without you" isn't meaningless, pseudo-deep bollocks. of all their supposedly good songs (the celebrated ones, the ones the FM DJ refers to as "a classic"), that one is the worst.

Yes.

'and you giiiiive yourself awaaay...and you giiiive yourself awaaaay....and you give....and you give....and you give yourself awaaaaay...' :evil:

I knew somebody would eventually get around to trying to knock both of these songs. I'm not sure why it is such an attractive pose to assume but it seems that someone always will when U2 is discussed. Of course both songs are great. Perhaps imperfect, but extremely moving for most folks. If you are in the minority that is immune to their emotional pull, that's too bad.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 24 Jul 2006, 17:00

Album - I don't really consider them to be an album group, all the praise heaped on The Joshua Tree notwithstanding. If you pointed a gun at me, I'd say War for nostalgia purposes.

Song - Tough one. I'll say "Red Hill Mining Town". They are a very good singles band, but I feel no need to buy an album. They are like the likable, popular jocks in high school who you admire for their ability but don't really want to hang out with.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 24 Jul 2006, 17:10

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:I knew somebody would eventually get around to trying to knock both of these songs. I'm not sure why it is such an attractive pose to assume but it seems that someone always will when U2 is discussed.

a pose? do me a favour, davey - i like pete wylie. :roll:

i'll always sing the praises of stuff i like (and yes, i actually think that "one" is a fabulous song). i bought "11 o'clock tick tock" on its release so it's not as if i was always against them. i like some of their stuff and i think some of it stinks. i've no problem with people disagreeing me but please pay me the courtesy of assuming that i actually mean what i say.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 24 Jul 2006, 17:12

Album wise I'd go for war, the Edge is at his most innovative, on limited resources - I will follow, an cat dubh, into the heart, out of control, stories for boys - classics straight out of the box, they don't play much of that stuff anymore - but they did do 'Out Of Control' a couple of tours ago and that stood out for the gem it was and is. UFF and JT are better sonically and in a mature-musican sort of way, but the guitar on 'I will Follow' and 'Out Of Control' sounds like the cold harsh 80's to me, a wet rainy decrepid Dublin day before the fun pubs came, they were never more relevant. 5 years later they were selling roots back to the Yanks, pity.
angering the feeble

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 24 Jul 2006, 17:13

Kinkhurt wrote:Album wise I'd go for war, the Edge is at his most innovative, on limited resources - I will follow, an cat dubh, into the heart, out of control, stories for boys - classics straight out of the box, they don't play much of that stuff anymore - but they did do 'Out Of Control' a couple of tours ago and that stood out for the gem it was and is. UFF and JT are better sonically and in a mature-musican sort of way, but the guitar on 'I will Follow' and 'Out Of Control' sounds like the cold harsh 80's to me, a wet rainy decrepid Dublin day before the fun pubs came, they were never more relevant. 5 years later they were selling roots back to the Yanks, pity.

boy, you mean.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 24 Jul 2006, 17:17

The Giraffe wrote:boy, you mean.

oops - yep (its the same kid on the cover and a while since I've played it )
angering the feeble

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Jul 2006, 17:54

The Giraffe wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:I knew somebody would eventually get around to trying to knock both of these songs. I'm not sure why it is such an attractive pose to assume but it seems that someone always will when U2 is discussed.

a pose? do me a favour, davey - i like pete wylie. :roll:

i'll always sing the praises of stuff i like (and yes, i actually think that "one" is a fabulous song). i bought "11 o'clock tick tock" on its release so it's not as if i was always against them. i like some of their stuff and i think some of it stinks. i've no problem with people disagreeing me but please pay me the courtesy of assuming that i actually mean what i say.

That's fair. You deserve the presumption of sincerity. But in my defense I did not specifically claim that you weren't. I just brought up the fact that this seems to be an attractive pose whenever the subject comes up. Surely you must have noted in other conversations that this is true. It is just like discussing REM - someone will alway knock Everybody Hurts - presumably to enhance their cred. You can count on it

Anyhow - I think I'll go check the REM thread now and see if I'm right about this...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jul 2006, 11:11

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:That's fair. You deserve the presumption of sincerity. But in my defense I did not specifically claim that you weren't. I just brought up the fact that this seems to be an attractive pose whenever the subject comes up. Surely you must have noted in other conversations that this is true. It is just like discussing REM - someone will alway knock Everybody Hurts - presumably to enhance their cred. You can count on it

Anyhow - I think I'll go check the REM thread now and see if I'm right about this...

I think the truth is Davey, like REM, a lot of people are just utterly bored with them. They've been high profile for much too long.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Jul 2006, 11:59

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:It is just like discussing REM - someone will alway knock Everybody Hurts - presumably to enhance their cred. You can count on it

Are you kidding? People knock 'Everybody Hurts' 'cos it's lazy crappy mushy housewife pap of the very lowest order.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 25 Jul 2006, 13:34

LIke REM, I've found the last two albums to be the least interesting and like REM, I worry about them becoming the new Rolling Stones.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 25 Jul 2006, 20:44

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:That's fair. You deserve the presumption of sincerity. But in my defense I did not specifically claim that you weren't. I just brought up the fact that this seems to be an attractive pose whenever the subject comes up. Surely you must have noted in other conversations that this is true. It is just like discussing REM - someone will alway knock Everybody Hurts - presumably to enhance their cred. You can count on it

I think the truth is Davey, like REM, a lot of people are just utterly bored with them. They've been high profile for much too long.

That I grant you. Neither is a favorite band of mine. Perhaps the reason I'm less sick of them is that I never fully bought in. But the high points are undeniable - and in my mind 'One' and 'With or Without You' are certainly among U2's high points.

Sir John Coan wrote:Are you kidding? People knock 'Everybody Hurts' 'cos it's lazy crappy mushy housewife pap of the very lowest order.

Whatever. I'll take "lazy crappy mushy housewife pap" every day of the week then. I suppose some folks are just above simplicity and universiality. I'm not.
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 25 Jul 2006, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Jul 2006, 20:47

Sir John Coan wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:It is just like discussing REM - someone will alway knock Everybody Hurts - presumably to enhance their cred. You can count on it

Are you kidding? People knock 'Everybody Hurts' 'cos it's lazy crappy mushy housewife pap of the very lowest order.

you forgot the cardigans!!!!

u2 album: achtung baby
song: even better than the real thing

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Jul 2006, 20:52

Sneelock wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

you forgot the cardigans!!!!

u2 album: achtung baby
song: even better than the real thing

I'm still looking for a picture of Stripe in a cardigan.

I've got one of him getting milk poured over his head, tho'. Will that do?

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 25 Jul 2006, 21:42

Album - Achtung Baby

Song - Party Girl

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Jul 2006, 23:58

album: achtung bay beeeee.

song: stay (faraway so close)...

...funny, cuz i really can't stand the album zooropa. ptooey. in fact, on my greatest U2 album list (which would begin with achtung... then joshua tree... then atomic bomb... then a bunch of others), zooropa would probably be dead last.

but i still love the song stay.

kath
whose wheels are turning but she's upside down.