BCB 100 - Yes

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Snowdog
Real Doyen
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.

Postby Snowdog » 23 Jul 2006, 14:38

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
The Slider wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote: there is almost no subtlety in this music.

This is, I think, one of the strangest comments I have ever heard passed on Yes. Subtlety is one of their main strengths.

I don't think e are talking about the same thing. My guess is you are talking about musical complexity. They certainly had plenty of that - often for its own sake. But there was literally nothing subtle about them. Their songs were generally long and meandering, and often the arrangements seemed to be geared towards showcasing their musicianship, rather than bothering to be evocative in any meaningful way. Lyrically they were equally obscure and grandiose.

And fuck it all - their keyboard player wore a cape. A cape for the love of God!!!

"Taste of fruitful inhibitions of a human.
Incapable of future seeing
beyond his thoughts of music.
Birth of music, birth of child is one.
Language of the world, the missing sense."
:roll:

Fair enough then.

What you see as a weakness or problematic I'd see as a strength & part of what I love about them.

What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?

It makes about as much sense as me saying The Clash were shit because they didn't wear capes.

Is there a particular style of cape that's okay? Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

Discussion over.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Jul 2006, 14:57

Oh, that's good.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 15:15

Snowdog 2006 wrote: What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?

Capes are intrinsically unsubtle. I am drawing a line in the sand here. You cannot wear a cape and be considered subtle. The possibility officially goes away the minute you tie the little strap thingy's around your neck.

It makes about as much sense as me saying The Clash were shit because they didn't wear capes.

No. The Clash were great because they didn't wear capes. What part of this is confusing you?

Is there a particular style of cape that's okay?

No. All capes are unsubtle. I am prepared to back this statement up with charts and graphs.

Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.

Discussion over.

That's fine. I am perfectly willing to monologue if need be. :D
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 23 Jul 2006, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Jul 2006, 15:32

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:

howabout james brown? :D

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 15:40

soul-a-skope wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:

It led him to several arrests, a 3 year prison stay, drug abuse, and the recording of "Living in America." Just say no.

ComradeGummidge
wingman

Postby ComradeGummidge » 23 Jul 2006, 15:48

Glad to see there is a large contingent of people on here who like Yes. I have for many years and despite being beaten with the anti-prog stick on many occasions I'm sticking to my guns. To be honest Davey is right, Yes can get lost in their own showmanship and some tracks seem to go on a little longer than is needed, BUT the plus side is there is a lot of emotion and depth to their music, you kind of overlook these things.

Sorry the comments about Mr Wakeman's cape are utter bollocks.

Right, as for my favourite album / track.... I'll always have a soft spot for Talk as it was the first Yes album I listened to. In recent years though I've thought it sounds more like a Trevor Rabin solo project (and that is no way an insult). So at the moment I would have to say my favourite albums are Going For The One and 90125. And my favourite track has to be Rhythm Of Love which in many respects is MUCH better than Owner Of A Lonely Heart shame it didn't get the same popularity.

Cheers,

Andy

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 15:53

Hollywood wrote: Sorry the comments about Mr Wakeman's cape are utter bollocks.

I'll bet you are wearing a cape right now. Come clean.

Is this you?

&

Postby & » 23 Jul 2006, 15:56

Davey The Fat Boy is a man after my own heart.

ComradeGummidge
wingman

Postby ComradeGummidge » 23 Jul 2006, 16:06

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Hollywood wrote: Sorry the comments about Mr Wakeman's cape are utter bollocks.

I'll bet you are wearing a cape right now. Come clean.

Is this you?

yes, yes I am :wink: it sparkles while I play my 10 stacked keyboards

Snowdog
Real Doyen

Postby Snowdog » 23 Jul 2006, 17:10

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote: What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?

Capes are intrinsically unsubtle. I am drawing a line in the sand here. You cannot wear a cape and be considered subtle. The possibility officially goes away the minute you tie the little strap thingy's around your neck.

No. The Clash were great because they didn't wear capes. What part of this is confusing you?

No. All capes are unsubtle. I am prepared to back this statement up with charts and graphs.

Discussion over.

All I'm saying is that stating opinion as fact (which is basically what you're doing) creates a conversational dead end so there's not much point in continuing the discussion.

I will say that what I meant about The Clash (or any other artist come to think of it) is that I could just as easily state anything as a personal preference & it would still be, quite simply, meaningless.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 23 Jul 2006, 17:38

soul-a-skope wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:

If you'll recall, every time they tried to put it on him, he threw the damn thing off!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 17:54

Snowdog 2006 wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:

Discussion over.

All I'm saying is that stating opinion as fact (which is basically what you're doing) creates a conversational dead end so there's not much point in continuing the discussion.

I will say that what I meant about The Clash (or any other artist come to think of it) is that I could just as easily state anything as a personal preference & it would still be, quite simply, meaningless.

Oh c'mon now. Just look at it. How can you defend it?

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 23 Jul 2006, 18:38

Alright, so Wakeman's cape is indefensible, admittedly.

But he also got canned from Yes by Jon Anderson for eating takeout chicken curry onstage during the boring parts of Topographic Oceans.

It all evens out in the end...
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jul 2006, 18:55

The Giraffe wrote:
king feeb wrote:Yes have been perennial whipping boys for the anti-prog brigade. Too bad they never bothered to listen to their prime material, which is rockin' and smart in all the right ways. Also, Squire's bass is Godlike, one of the most unique instrumental sounds in rock.

Album: Close To The Edge

Song: "South Side Of The Sky" (among many others. that's the one I'm playing right now)

exactly right - i could have written that myself.

Is it only Yes you like from that period or do you like some of the other proggers Andy? I only ask because I can never square your love for them with your tastes in general and I'm curious.

Snowdog
Real Doyen

Postby Snowdog » 23 Jul 2006, 19:43

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:

Discussion over.

Oh c'mon now. Just look at it. How can you defend it?

I think it looks fantastic.

Which is as valid as you saying the opposite.

Your turn. :D

Prograstinator

Postby Prograstinator » 23 Jul 2006, 19:57

*Ahem*

Quite a lot of Yes fans on the board.. but who has Yes tattoo'd on their body?

frimleygreener
Location: between the rose and thistle and the old weatsheaf...

Postby frimleygreener » 23 Jul 2006, 20:15

i liked the first album that was entitled "yes".but this is not,seemingly,the "yes" album.from the debut album called "yes",i like "survival" and "harold land".i saw them preview these tracks at parliament hill fields prior to the albums release,and they made a good fist of it.

frimleygreener
Location: between the rose and thistle and the old weatsheaf...

Postby frimleygreener » 23 Jul 2006, 20:19

The Giraffe wrote:
frimleygreener wrote:i liked the first album that was entitled "yes".but this is not,seemingly,the "yes" album.from the debut album called "yes",i like "survival" and "harold land".i saw them preview these tracks at parliament hill fields prior to the albums release,and they made a good fist of it.

did you not follow them much after that?

(by the way, you're showing your age there. when was that? 1969?)

it was way back..way back....yes,that sounds about right..i am a fifty four year old codger,(no syrup,own teeth,gsoh)....

Snowdog
Real Doyen

Postby Snowdog » 23 Jul 2006, 20:24

frimleygreener wrote:
The Giraffe wrote:
frimleygreener wrote:i liked the first album that was entitled "yes".but this is not,seemingly,the "yes" album.from the debut album called "yes",i like "survival" and "harold land".i saw them preview these tracks at parliament hill fields prior to the albums release,and they made a good fist of it.

did you not follow them much after that?

(by the way, you're showing your age there. when was that? 1969?)

it was way back..way back....yes,that sounds about right..i am a fifty four year old codger,(no syrup,own teeth,gsoh)....

So, own teeth, own hair. Who's is the sense of humour? :lol:

Prograstinator

Postby Prograstinator » 23 Jul 2006, 20:25

The Giraffe wrote:
Tangent wrote:*Ahem*

Quite a lot of Yes fans on the board.. but who has Yes tattoo'd on their body?

is it davey? :?

Nope, own up, you know who you are!

Return to “BCB 100”