BCB 100 - Yes

Do we know what we like? We even talk about it!
User avatar
Snowdog
Real Doyen
Posts: 14491
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 09:36
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.
Contact:

Postby Snowdog » 23 Jul 2006, 14:38

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
The Slider wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote: there is almost no subtlety in this music.


This is, I think, one of the strangest comments I have ever heard passed on Yes. Subtlety is one of their main strengths.


I don't think e are talking about the same thing. My guess is you are talking about musical complexity. They certainly had plenty of that - often for its own sake. But there was literally nothing subtle about them. Their songs were generally long and meandering, and often the arrangements seemed to be geared towards showcasing their musicianship, rather than bothering to be evocative in any meaningful way. Lyrically they were equally obscure and grandiose.

And fuck it all - their keyboard player wore a cape. A cape for the love of God!!!

Image
"Taste of fruitful inhibitions of a human.
Incapable of future seeing
beyond his thoughts of music.
Birth of music, birth of child is one.
Language of the world, the missing sense."
:roll:


Fair enough then.

What you see as a weakness or problematic I'd see as a strength & part of what I love about them.

What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?

It makes about as much sense as me saying The Clash were shit because they didn't wear capes.

Is there a particular style of cape that's okay? Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

Discussion over.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21662
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Postby Toby » 23 Jul 2006, 14:57

Oh, that's good.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22263
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 15:15

Snowdog 2006 wrote: What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?


Capes are intrinsically unsubtle. I am drawing a line in the sand here. You cannot wear a cape and be considered subtle. The possibility officially goes away the minute you tie the little strap thingy's around your neck.

It makes about as much sense as me saying The Clash were shit because they didn't wear capes.

No. The Clash were great because they didn't wear capes. What part of this is confusing you?

Is there a particular style of cape that's okay?

No. All capes are unsubtle. I am prepared to back this statement up with charts and graphs.

Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.

Discussion over.

That's fine. I am perfectly willing to monologue if need be. :D
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 23 Jul 2006, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Jul 2006, 15:32

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.


howabout james brown? :D

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22263
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 15:40

soul-a-skope wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.


howabout james brown? :D


It led him to several arrests, a 3 year prison stay, drug abuse, and the recording of "Living in America." Just say no.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
ComradeGummidge
wingman
Posts: 892
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 16:19
Location: Coming to a field near you
Contact:

Postby ComradeGummidge » 23 Jul 2006, 15:48

Glad to see there is a large contingent of people on here who like Yes. I have for many years and despite being beaten with the anti-prog stick on many occasions I'm sticking to my guns. To be honest Davey is right, Yes can get lost in their own showmanship and some tracks seem to go on a little longer than is needed, BUT the plus side is there is a lot of emotion and depth to their music, you kind of overlook these things.

Sorry the comments about Mr Wakeman's cape are utter bollocks.

Right, as for my favourite album / track.... I'll always have a soft spot for Talk as it was the first Yes album I listened to. In recent years though I've thought it sounds more like a Trevor Rabin solo project (and that is no way an insult). So at the moment I would have to say my favourite albums are Going For The One and 90125. And my favourite track has to be Rhythm Of Love which in many respects is MUCH better than Owner Of A Lonely Heart shame it didn't get the same popularity.

Cheers,

Andy

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22263
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 15:53

Hollywood wrote: Sorry the comments about Mr Wakeman's cape are utter bollocks.


I'll bet you are wearing a cape right now. Come clean.

Image
Is this you?
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

&
The John Coan it's FUN to hug
Posts: 11787
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 04:10
Location: bat's mouth
Contact:

Postby & » 23 Jul 2006, 15:56

Davey The Fat Boy is a man after my own heart.
"You're a rude and ignorant individual and I hope you get no sleep tonight." - Sir John Coan

User avatar
ComradeGummidge
wingman
Posts: 892
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 16:19
Location: Coming to a field near you
Contact:

Postby ComradeGummidge » 23 Jul 2006, 16:06

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Hollywood wrote: Sorry the comments about Mr Wakeman's cape are utter bollocks.


I'll bet you are wearing a cape right now. Come clean.

Image
Is this you?


yes, yes I am :wink: it sparkles while I play my 10 stacked keyboards

User avatar
Snowdog
Real Doyen
Posts: 14491
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 09:36
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.
Contact:

Postby Snowdog » 23 Jul 2006, 17:10

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote: What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?


Capes are intrinsically unsubtle. I am drawing a line in the sand here. You cannot wear a cape and be considered subtle. The possibility officially goes away the minute you tie the little strap thingy's around your neck.

It makes about as much sense as me saying The Clash were shit because they didn't wear capes.

No. The Clash were great because they didn't wear capes. What part of this is confusing you?

Is there a particular style of cape that's okay?

No. All capes are unsubtle. I am prepared to back this statement up with charts and graphs.

Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.

Discussion over.

That's fine. I am perfectly willing to monologue if need be. :D


All I'm saying is that stating opinion as fact (which is basically what you're doing) creates a conversational dead end so there's not much point in continuing the discussion.

I will say that what I meant about The Clash (or any other artist come to think of it) is that I could just as easily state anything as a personal preference & it would still be, quite simply, meaningless.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

User avatar
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript
Posts: 3380
Joined: 23 Oct 2003, 23:43

Postby geoffcowgill » 23 Jul 2006, 17:38

soul-a-skope wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.


howabout james brown? :D


If you'll recall, every time they tried to put it on him, he threw the damn thing off!

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22263
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 17:54

Snowdog 2006 wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote: What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?


Capes are intrinsically unsubtle. I am drawing a line in the sand here. You cannot wear a cape and be considered subtle. The possibility officially goes away the minute you tie the little strap thingy's around your neck.

It makes about as much sense as me saying The Clash were shit because they didn't wear capes.

No. The Clash were great because they didn't wear capes. What part of this is confusing you?

Is there a particular style of cape that's okay?

No. All capes are unsubtle. I am prepared to back this statement up with charts and graphs.

Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.

Discussion over.

That's fine. I am perfectly willing to monologue if need be. :D


All I'm saying is that stating opinion as fact (which is basically what you're doing) creates a conversational dead end so there's not much point in continuing the discussion.

I will say that what I meant about The Clash (or any other artist come to think of it) is that I could just as easily state anything as a personal preference & it would still be, quite simply, meaningless.


Oh c'mon now. Just look at it. How can you defend it?
Image
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
king feeb
He's the consultant of swing
Posts: 26243
Joined: 19 Jul 2003, 00:42
Location: Soon Over Babaluma
Contact:

Postby king feeb » 23 Jul 2006, 18:38

Alright, so Wakeman's cape is indefensible, admittedly.

But he also got canned from Yes by Jon Anderson for eating takeout chicken curry onstage during the boring parts of Topographic Oceans.

It all evens out in the end...
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

User avatar
Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad
Posts: 49941
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Pat O'Banton » 23 Jul 2006, 18:46

king feeb wrote:Yes have been perennial whipping boys for the anti-prog brigade. Too bad they never bothered to listen to their prime material, which is rockin' and smart in all the right ways. Also, Squire's bass is Godlike, one of the most unique instrumental sounds in rock.

Album: Close To The Edge

Song: "South Side Of The Sky" (among many others. that's the one I'm playing right now)


exactly right - i could have written that myself.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jul 2006, 18:55

The Giraffe wrote:
king feeb wrote:Yes have been perennial whipping boys for the anti-prog brigade. Too bad they never bothered to listen to their prime material, which is rockin' and smart in all the right ways. Also, Squire's bass is Godlike, one of the most unique instrumental sounds in rock.

Album: Close To The Edge

Song: "South Side Of The Sky" (among many others. that's the one I'm playing right now)


exactly right - i could have written that myself.


Is it only Yes you like from that period or do you like some of the other proggers Andy? I only ask because I can never square your love for them with your tastes in general and I'm curious.

User avatar
Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad
Posts: 49941
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Pat O'Banton » 23 Jul 2006, 19:15

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
The Giraffe wrote:
king feeb wrote:Yes have been perennial whipping boys for the anti-prog brigade. Too bad they never bothered to listen to their prime material, which is rockin' and smart in all the right ways. Also, Squire's bass is Godlike, one of the most unique instrumental sounds in rock.

Album: Close To The Edge

Song: "South Side Of The Sky" (among many others. that's the one I'm playing right now)


exactly right - i could have written that myself.


Is it only Yes you like from that period or do you like some of the other proggers Andy? I only ask because I can never square your love for them with your tastes in general and I'm curious.


it's pretty much only yes. i have a few king crimson records tucked away but i can't say i get too passionate about them and genesis have done two or three good songs and a lot of stuff that makes me want to scream with frustration.

i'm aware that they have almost nothing to do with the post-punk stuff that became the first scene that i bought into as it actually happened but since i was 13 i've always loved their early seventies output (and the brief renaissance they experienced with going for the one). it's easy to dismiss them as grandiose, self-indulgent and meaningless (and to an extent that's all true, i suppose) but they were also a shit-hot band who pushed the envelope for a while and they could actually rock out pretty good (thanks mostly to squire's astonishing bass playing they're actually funky on occasion) plus anderson had an ear for a melody that only macca and a handful of others can rival.

interestingly, it's jon anderson who's generally held up as the main villain of the piece by the disciples of the punk revolution but he's apparently a very spontaneous musician, always wanting to do it in one take and move on. chris squire was the one who always wanted to spend weeks re-recording and overdubbing and was frequently exasperated by anderson's methods. also, i remember anderson being noticeably positive about the UK punk explosion at the time, unlike many of his peers.

i think there's good and bad in every genre of pop and yes were the masters of theirs, at least for a while.

they have their place.
Last edited by Pat O'Banton on 23 Jul 2006, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

User avatar
Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad
Posts: 49941
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Pat O'Banton » 23 Jul 2006, 19:17

incidentally, lenny has fairly similar tastes to me and yet loves gabriel era genesis. i'm not alone in this affliction, you know. :lol:
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

User avatar
Snowdog
Real Doyen
Posts: 14491
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 09:36
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.
Contact:

Postby Snowdog » 23 Jul 2006, 19:43

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote: What's the point of saying 'a cape' as if there's something intrinsically bad about it?


Capes are intrinsically unsubtle. I am drawing a line in the sand here. You cannot wear a cape and be considered subtle. The possibility officially goes away the minute you tie the little strap thingy's around your neck.

It makes about as much sense as me saying The Clash were shit because they didn't wear capes.

No. The Clash were great because they didn't wear capes. What part of this is confusing you?

Is there a particular style of cape that's okay?

No. All capes are unsubtle. I am prepared to back this statement up with charts and graphs.

Was it okay when Elvis wore one?

No it wasn't. It eventually killed him. Liberace too.

Discussion over.

That's fine. I am perfectly willing to monologue if need be. :D


All I'm saying is that stating opinion as fact (which is basically what you're doing) creates a conversational dead end so there's not much point in continuing the discussion.

I will say that what I meant about The Clash (or any other artist come to think of it) is that I could just as easily state anything as a personal preference & it would still be, quite simply, meaningless.


Oh c'mon now. Just look at it. How can you defend it?
Image


I think it looks fantastic.

Which is as valid as you saying the opposite.

Your turn. :D
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

User avatar
Prograstinator
Posts: 1668
Joined: 29 Mar 2006, 22:38

Postby Prograstinator » 23 Jul 2006, 19:57

*Ahem*

Quite a lot of Yes fans on the board.. but who has Yes tattoo'd on their body?
...

User avatar
Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad
Posts: 49941
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Pat O'Banton » 23 Jul 2006, 20:02

Tangent wrote:*Ahem*

Quite a lot of Yes fans on the board.. but who has Yes tattoo'd on their body?


is it davey? :?
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.