BCB 100 - Frank Sinatra

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Frank Sinatra

Postby geoffcowgill » 22 Jul 2006, 17:58

He's one of the ones I added based on suggestions from the board. I've got a three-disc Capitol comp, so I'll abstain from Favorite Album. Favorite Song is, without a doubt, "One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)", where he sounds direct, honest, and unconcerned with appearing unconcerned. It's a fantastic recording.

Truth be told, I'd typically rather listen to Tony Bennett when I'm in the mood for this kind of thing.

Favorite Song - "One For My Baby (and One More for the Road)"

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 22 Jul 2006, 18:10

Diamond Dog and Yompy's constant championing of Watertown prompted me to buy it and I'm glad I did, so....

Album - Watertown

Song - What a Funny Girl (You Used to Be)
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Jul 2006, 18:44

If I'm in a melancholy mood then it's In the Wee Small Hours. If I want to dance or get up it would be his live one with Count Basie and his band. Outside of the stage banter that doesn't get better with repeated listening, the songs are great and the band kicks major ass. I also love the album he did with Jobim. It's a beautiful mellow album for late night listening.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 22 Jul 2006, 18:58

Albums: Watertown or No One Cares

Songs: "Here's That Rainy Day" "What A Funny Girl You Used To Be"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 22 Jul 2006, 19:24

Jeff K wrote:Yompy's constant championing of Watertown prompted me to buy it and I'm glad I did

me too, easily the best bcb recommendation i've bought!

song: with every breath i take
album: close to you

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 22 Jul 2006, 19:38

I live within walking distance of Watertown, MA. It's an odd and very tiny town. I wonder if it inspired the album...
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jul 2006, 00:13

A tough call- there's so much, and a lot of it's great. Every period has something to recommend it, and even at the end when he was going through the motions a bit, there were great moments. I probably know the Reprise stuff best, but what I've heard of the Columbia and Capitol stuff I probably prefer. And for such a great artist, the cheese factor is considerable as well. His version of Something ("You're asking me will my love grow - Jack!") never fails to crack me up. There was a time that I seriously believed that it was Frank's world and we just lived in it. Whatever will we do now? Anyway, this is right now, always subject to change.

Album - In the Wee Small Hours
Song - I'm with Geoff. One For My Baby (And One for the Road) it is.

P.S. - I'll take the "Watertown" recommendation too. Don't know it.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 23 Jul 2006, 00:20

toomanyhatz wrote:P.S. - I'll take the "Watertown" recommendation too. Don't know it.

You have a real treat in store then Dave.

It's of it's time, and yet still classic Sinatra. A truly wonderful album.
We're way past rhubarb

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 23 Jul 2006, 00:39

Watertown is such an unusual concept album. Frank's wife leaves him and their two sons and heads off to NYC to 'find herself'. What makes it unusual is Frank is perfectly content in Watertown yet harbors no ill will towards his wife even though he has hopes that she'll return one day. It's very hard not to be moved by this album. By the time it's over, you end up feeling sorry for him.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

This Was
Internet Search Engine

Postby This Was » 23 Jul 2006, 01:49

Last edited by This Was on 08 Feb 2010, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

bixhenry

Postby bixhenry » 23 Jul 2006, 02:02

Quite simply, the greatest interpreter of American Popular Song - apologies to Billie Holliday and Ella Fitzgerald. There are literally dozens of definitive versions of 'standards' that Frank pretty much owns. I know that there are many who prefer Tony Bennett as a pure singer, or that Mel Torme had a richer instrument, but for me they are no match for Frank's evocativeness and command of phrasing. Each of his three major 'periods' are essential.

davey the fat boy and I were talking this morning about which Sinatra is the greatest. We agreed that, as a pure singer, his crooning/Columbia years were his finest, but I think his Capitol years are the most expansive - the best orchestras, the best arrangers, and the best songs.

The Reprise years have their share of classics, too - the collaboration with Jobim being a favorite - but I'll stick with the Capitol era.

Album - In The Wee Small Hours (ballads) and Songs For Swingin' Lovers (uptempo)

Song - 'I've Got You Under My Skin'

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 23 Jul 2006, 09:59

Jeff K wrote:Diamond Dog and Yompy's constant championing of Watertown prompted me to buy it and I'm glad I did, so....

Album - Watertown

Song - What a Funny Girl (You Used to Be)

AndyMacandy was also a champion of that album, Jeff.

Album : Watertown

Track : I've Got You Under My Skin.

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 23 Jul 2006, 12:49

LP: In The Wee Small Hours
Song: One For My Baby

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Jul 2006, 13:22

Ranking Rupert wrote:There are very few musical artists I utterly despise: Frank Sinatra is one of them.

:)

I like what I've heard of Frank Sinatra but haven't had the chance to feel strongly either way. I'd be interested to hear your reasons though!
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

This Was
Internet Search Engine

Postby This Was » 23 Jul 2006, 14:44

Last edited by This Was on 08 Feb 2010, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 23 Jul 2006, 15:20

Ranking Rupert wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:
Ranking Rupert wrote:There are very few musical artists I utterly despise: Frank Sinatra is one of them.

I like what I've heard of Frank Sinatra but haven't had the chance to feel strongly either way. I'd be interested to hear your reasons though!

The connections - sorry, alleged connections - with the Mafia.

Yes, I'm sure some of the stories are myths, and he probably suffered from Hoover-FBI paranoia/hysteria, and it may be that Sinatra was more foolish/naive than calculating in developing the relationships he did. But his associations with some, to say the least, unsavoury characters are a matter of historical record.

He was an uber-Cunt. So what, maan?
There has never been a better interpreter of a song. Never.
Cast your prejuduces aside, and listen to some of his timeless Capitol back catalogue, impeccably arranged by Nelson Riddle and Billy May
Peerless.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jul 2006, 15:34

Crazy Diamond Wolfie wrote:
Ranking Rupert wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:

The connections - sorry, alleged connections - with the Mafia.

Yes, I'm sure some of the stories are myths, and he probably suffered from Hoover-FBI paranoia/hysteria, and it may be that Sinatra was more foolish/naive than calculating in developing the relationships he did. But his associations with some, to say the least, unsavoury characters are a matter of historical record.

He was an uber-Cunt. So what, maan?
There has never been a better interpreter of a song. Never.
Cast your prejuduces aside, and listen to some of his timeless Capitol back catalogue, impeccably arranged by Nelson Riddle and Billy May
Peerless.

The important thing is that he never in his entire 60+ year career wore a cape.

Favorite Album:The Essential Frank Sinatra with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra
Favorite Song: The Night We Called it a Day
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 23 Jul 2006, 15:45

Not a lot to add to what has already been said about the quality of the mans work, but I think it is important that his level of professionalism is admired, as well as the sheer quantity of fine music he made.

Favourite song Everything happens to me ( she shot me down version 1981)

album Close to you.
You don't like me...do you?

aloysius

Postby aloysius » 24 Jul 2006, 09:48

I used to hate him now I love him, especially the Gordon Jenkins arranged material. Perhaps a sign of getting old:

Album: September of My Years (so, it must be about getting old)

Song: I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You (from No One Cares)
THE GOOD, THE EBONY & THE IVOR THE ENGINEY. Eastwood/Wonder/Postgate concept album. I WILL PAY YOU to take this away. 07999 284800 (24 hours).

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 24 Jul 2006, 18:02

Album- ?

Song - "Bim Bam Baby" by some distance.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin