BCB 100 - Paul McCartney (and/or Wings)

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Jul 2006, 18:39

Sir John Coan wrote:
The Unique Modernist! wrote:By some distance the most overrated artist on BCB. There I've said it.

Oh, I could put together a list of another 10 who are just as overrated here, G! But you do have a point.

And yes, it does matter that 90% of his output is shite, really. Or by the same token, we'd be saying that Andrew Lloyd Webber is a genius.

He was a Beatle. End of debate.

Sure his solo career has been spotty as hell...but he was a Beatle. He freaking wrote "Yesterday", "Hey Jude" and "Here, There and Everywhere." That's the ultimate get out of jail free card.

That he has employed so little quality control in his solo years is maddening, but along the way he's tossed off a few for the ages ("Maybe I'm Amazed", "Back Seat of My Car"), a few guilty pleasures ("Silly Love Songs", "With a Little Luck", "My Love", "Listen to What the Man Said") and a few undiscovered gems ("Waterfalls," "I'm Carrying," "Distractions") - so if I've got to wade through a few "Morris Moose and the Old Grey Goose's" to get to the good stuff, I'll do it. Why? Because he is a great singer, a stellar bass player, incapable of writing a bad melody...but most of all cause he was a freaking Beatle. And that entitles him to my respect and at least a little of my attention.

Favorite Album: Ram

Favorite Song: Maybe I'm Amazed
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Jul 2006, 18:43

Billybob Dylan wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:'Back Seat Of My Car' is blissful and, played to non-believers, an instantly-recognisable example of enormous natural melodic talent. It's a godlike piece of music.

But it sounds unfinished. Something that was just tossed off in about 10 minutes when he had some spare time. There's too much of that in Macca's early solo work. I'd love to hear what he could have done with it.

I doubt it wold have improved. Back then sounding like a demo wasn't a valid criticism. People weren't so inundated with music that they knew what demos sounded like. Making a warts and all record was a valid choice. I doubt that adding more studio sheen would make me love Back Seat any more. Might make me love it less though.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 18 Jul 2006, 18:46

Favorite Album: Red Rose Speedway

Favorite Song: Junk

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Jul 2006, 18:51

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:He was a Beatle. End of debate.

Sure his solo career has been spotty as hell...but he was a Beatle. He freaking wrote "Yesterday", "Hey Jude" and "Here, There and Everywhere." That's the ultimate get out of jail free card.

what a bizarre thing to write when discussing his solo output.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 18 Jul 2006, 19:13

Any takers?
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2006, 19:14

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
He was a Beatle. End of debate.

Irrelevent. My comments, and this thread, are about his post Beatles career.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Jul 2006, 19:16

Phenomenal Cat wrote:

Any takers?

Yeah, but he didn't write "Yesterday", "Hey Jude" and "Here, There and Everywhere."

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 18 Jul 2006, 19:23

Bugger!! Now this really is a hard one because in my mind Macca is just the best,soooo!!!!
I had to narrow it down to just the album that I return to all the time Well that was hard as it boils down to Ram,Red Rose Speedway,band On The Run,London Town and Flowers In The Dirt.

Having got the albums out the way I now have to choose a song!
Again it boils down to a few like Another Day, My Love,Live and Let Die,Little Lamb Dragonfly, Silly Love Songs C Moon,London Town,So Bad Listen To What The Man Said, Jet, Waterfalls. The list just goes on and on

This is just so hard so I drew up the list and stuck a pin in it and came up with the following. It's almost like having to say which is your favourite child
Anyway here it goes although I may change my mind in five minutes time :D

Best Album:Ram
Best Song: Little Lamb Dragonfly

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 18 Jul 2006, 19:39

Album: Band On The Run/Tug Of War

Single: With A Little Luck/Back Seat Of My Car/Tug Of War
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 18 Jul 2006, 19:45

Album: Chaos & Creation in the Backyard, with a nod to Tug of War which was a childhood favourite. I find Ram to be brilliant in places, but it's a little undercooked. "Smile Away"? C'mon.

Song: "Maybe I'm Amazed". Again, this is one of my favourite songs by anyone. McCartney wrote great singles as a solo artist, including some of the ones that are not so popular on this board, and most of them warm my heart to some degree. But MIA knocks it out of the park for me.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 18 Jul 2006, 19:46

Oh, "Junk" is a good one too...
Last edited by Clippernolan on 18 Jul 2006, 20:21, edited 2 times in total.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 18 Jul 2006, 19:55

I'm surprised how many people are going for Maybe Im Amazed. I always thought it was very overdone; the ascending piano bit at the beginning, the bombastic orchestra and the mock-soul screaming at the end....c'mon, its so over the top and schmaltzy

bongman

Postby bongman » 18 Jul 2006, 20:08

"Hi Hi Hi" surely, man.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2006, 20:20

Tactful Cactus wrote:I'm surprised how many people are going for Maybe Im Amazed. I always thought it was very overdone; the ascending piano bit at the beginning, the bombastic orchestra and the mock-soul screaming at the end....c'mon, its so over the top and schmaltzy

This is what I don't get. My Love is even worse, if these had been done by Barry Manilow they'd be quite a different reaction to them I'm sure. To be fair Maybe I'm Amazed is one of the lesser offenders.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Jul 2006, 20:21

The Unique Modernist! wrote: To be fair Maybe I'm Amazed is one of the lesser offenders.

Yep, besides, you never know--maybe he was amazed.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Jul 2006, 20:23

soul-a-skope wrote:

what a bizarre thing to write when discussing his solo output.

Not at all. McCartney benefits from a deep, deep well of residual good will based on his status as a Beatle. I am as big a fan as anybody, and I probably love his solo work more than the majority of the folks here - and even I know he would not be on this list based on his solo output were it not for the Beatle's lustre. So let's be intellectually honest about it and admit that we simply can never be objective about the guy. Nor should we be. Love is irrational.
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 18 Jul 2006, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Jul 2006, 20:23

Matt Wilson wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:

Any takers?

Yeah, but he didn't write "Yesterday", "Hey Jude" and "Here, There and Everywhere."

Exactly.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Jul 2006, 20:24

Tactful Cactus wrote:I'm surprised how many people are going for Maybe Im Amazed. I always thought it was very overdone; the ascending piano bit at the beginning, the bombastic orchestra and the mock-soul screaming at the end....c'mon, its so over the top and schmaltzy

Yup. Ain't it glorious!

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 18 Jul 2006, 20:26

Album: Band On The Run

Track : Back Seat Of My Car.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Jul 2006, 20:27

Prince Of Peace wrote:Track : Back Seat Of My Car.

God, that song gets a lot of love around here.

It's not bad but it never seemed a standout to me until I started reading how all you guys love it.

Return to “BCB 100”