BCB 100 - Talking Heads

Do we know what we like? We even talk about it!
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Talking Heads

Postby geoffcowgill » 16 Jul 2006, 20:02

I dig the Heads quite a bit. I've got all their studio albums and, apart from True Stories, would happily listen straight through any of them. But my favorite album of theirs is ...Naked, which I realize is not only atypical, but arguably not even a full Talking Heads album (what with all the guest musicians and it being closer in sound to a Byrne solo album). So, I wouldn't recommend it first for someone who's curious about the band, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit it as the one I enjoy the most. The international hybrid of sounds works better on this than it does on Remain In Light. While I like that album, there are some icy passages; Naked is more consistently warm. The songs are all great, and there's a great deal of diversity amongst them, too. And it's the best album Johnny Marr ever played on. :wink:

Their best song is "Naive Melody", which is surely one of the ten best songs of the 80s.

Favorite Album - Naked

Favorite Song - "Naive Melody (This Must Be The Place)"

B

Postby B » 16 Jul 2006, 20:07

Album: 77

Song: Life During Wartime

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 16 Jul 2006, 20:11

Album: Fear Of Music

Song: "Born Under Punches"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 16 Jul 2006, 20:41

LP: Fear Of Music

Song: Once In A Lifetime

Predictable, huh? The received wisdom on this band is, for once, on the money. They really did have it all up til Speaking In Tongues, then they blanded out pretty badly; not that they were poor, per se, they just didn't have the funk or the scope of their best 3 LPs - More Songs..., FoM and Remain In Light, any of which remains as modern and as out there as they were when first released.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 20:55

Album: 'Fear Of Music'

Song: 'Television Man', 'Don't Worry About the Government', 'Air'

As Penk's away, there's nobody here to rage about how pale and uninteresting 'Remain in Light' is. And I'm not going to bother, 'cos it attracts all sorts of abuse if you do so.

Beno

Postby Beno » 16 Jul 2006, 21:33

Album: More Songs About Buildings and Food (just pipping 77)

Song: The Big Country (but i'll stick up for 'Remain in Lght', I nearly chose Once In a Lifetime)

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 16 Jul 2006, 21:34

I, Zimbra is phenomenal. One of the great bands.

Prograstinator

Postby Prograstinator » 16 Jul 2006, 21:44

Album: 'More Songs about Buildings and Food', a bit rough around the edges but it's so clever it get's away with it.

Best song, 'Heaven' it's their 'Imagine', you're not going to say it's your favourite song but it is really. Naive Melody is good also.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 21:50

Tangent wrote:
Best song, 'Heaven' it's their 'Imagine', you're not going to say it's your favourite song but it is really.

Great song but the chorus lets it down just a wee bit.

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 16 Jul 2006, 21:57

Album: Talking Heads 77
Song: Life During Wartime

:D

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 16 Jul 2006, 21:58

I'd have to go back over the albums, but their best track was "Lifetime Piling Up", surely? Maybe "Blind" at a push?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jul 2006, 22:37

Never been a big fan, find Byrne a bit difficult vocally, think the rhythm section took a while to grow into the role, but they definitely had their moments. Mainly because of guests- Adrian Belew, Eno, and of course the brilliant Bernie Worrell. Another band I could say I don't "get," but if I don't by now, it's not going to happen, is it? Actually, I really like the Tom Tom Club, since it's light, dorky fun, the only Talking Heads-related record that doesn't reach too high.

Album - Penk's wrong. Remain in Light, no contest.
Song - I, Zimbra, probably. None of the hits, for sure.

Oh, and I want to slap Byrne every time I hear their gutless, soulless version of Take Me to the River.
The Great Defector wrote:I still stand by if other people are doing as opposition or its just an everyday day thing, doesn't mean you have to or should do. Work away like, I'm just get your problem.

1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 22:41

toomanyhatz wrote:Never been a big fan, find Byrne a bit difficult vocally, think the rhythm section took a while to grow into the role, but they definitely had their moments. Mainly because of guests- Adrian Belew, Eno, and of course the brilliant Bernie Worrell. Another band I could say I don't "get," but if I don't by now, it's not going to happen, is it? Actually, I really like the Tom Tom Club, since it's light, dorky fun, the only Talking Heads-related record that doesn't reach too high.

:shock:

Ah, now you're just being contrary, right?

Daftest post of the day.

Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad

Postby Pat O'Banton » 16 Jul 2006, 22:44

i have an embarrassingly small amount of talking heads in my collection but their best two songs are "naive melody" and "once in a lifetime."
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jul 2006, 22:47

Sir John Coan wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Never been a big fan, find Byrne a bit difficult vocally, think the rhythm section took a while to grow into the role, but they definitely had their moments. Mainly because of guests- Adrian Belew, Eno, and of course the brilliant Bernie Worrell. Another band I could say I don't "get," but if I don't by now, it's not going to happen, is it? Actually, I really like the Tom Tom Club, since it's light, dorky fun, the only Talking Heads-related record that doesn't reach too high.

Daftest post of the day.

Not at all. Byrne's a pretentious twit most of the time. What T-Heads I like is often despite, not because of him.

Oh, and your avatar frightens me. :lol:
The Great Defector wrote:I still stand by if other people are doing as opposition or its just an everyday day thing, doesn't mean you have to or should do. Work away like, I'm just get your problem.

1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 16 Jul 2006, 22:54

Album: Fear Of Music

Song: Psycho Killer, the second version from the The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads reissue.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 16 Jul 2006, 23:01

Album - The Name of This Band is Talking Heads

Song - Love is a Building On Fire
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 23:09

Jeff K wrote:Album - The Name of This Band is Talking Heads

Good choices! Shit! I'd forgotten about both song and album.

Hm.

That album is their almost-lost classic, wouldn't you say?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 23:10

toomanyhatz wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

Daftest post of the day.

Not at all. Byrne's a pretentious twit most of the time. What T-Heads I like is often despite, not because of him.

Oh, and your avatar frightens me. :lol:

Me too! I'll get rid of it in a couple of days.

It's that weird hairy bottom lip that gets me. And the etched bags under the eyes.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 16 Jul 2006, 23:12

Sir John Coan wrote:
Jeff K wrote:Album - The Name of This Band is Talking Heads

Good choices! Shit! I'd forgotten about both song and album.

Hm.

That album is their almost-lost classic, wouldn't you say?

Almost lost before it was finally reissued a couple of years ago. Brilliant live album showing the band progressing from a quirky, Modern Lovers-influenced foursome to a quirky big funk band.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.