BCB 100 - Talking Heads

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
User avatar
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript
Posts: 3380
Joined: 23 Oct 2003, 23:43

BCB 100 - Talking Heads

Postby geoffcowgill » 16 Jul 2006, 20:02

I dig the Heads quite a bit. I've got all their studio albums and, apart from True Stories, would happily listen straight through any of them. But my favorite album of theirs is ...Naked, which I realize is not only atypical, but arguably not even a full Talking Heads album (what with all the guest musicians and it being closer in sound to a Byrne solo album). So, I wouldn't recommend it first for someone who's curious about the band, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit it as the one I enjoy the most. The international hybrid of sounds works better on this than it does on Remain In Light. While I like that album, there are some icy passages; Naked is more consistently warm. The songs are all great, and there's a great deal of diversity amongst them, too. And it's the best album Johnny Marr ever played on. :wink:

Their best song is "Naive Melody", which is surely one of the ten best songs of the 80s.

Favorite Album - Naked

Favorite Song - "Naive Melody (This Must Be The Place)"

User avatar
B
Posts: 9166
Joined: 25 Aug 2003, 06:22
Location: Brooklyn

Postby B » 16 Jul 2006, 20:07

Album: 77

Song: Life During Wartime

User avatar
king feeb
He's the consultant of swing
Posts: 26243
Joined: 19 Jul 2003, 00:42
Location: Soon Over Babaluma
Contact:

Postby king feeb » 16 Jul 2006, 20:11

Album: Fear Of Music

Song: "Born Under Punches"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12751
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Postby Ranking Ted » 16 Jul 2006, 20:41

LP: Fear Of Music

Song: Once In A Lifetime

Predictable, huh? The received wisdom on this band is, for once, on the money. They really did have it all up til Speaking In Tongues, then they blanded out pretty badly; not that they were poor, per se, they just didn't have the funk or the scope of their best 3 LPs - More Songs..., FoM and Remain In Light, any of which remains as modern and as out there as they were when first released.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 20:55

Album: 'Fear Of Music'

Song: 'Television Man', 'Don't Worry About the Government', 'Air'

As Penk's away, there's nobody here to rage about how pale and uninteresting 'Remain in Light' is. And I'm not going to bother, 'cos it attracts all sorts of abuse if you do so.

User avatar
Beno
Posts: 6582
Joined: 04 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Gasoline Alley

Postby Beno » 16 Jul 2006, 21:33

Album: More Songs About Buildings and Food (just pipping 77)

Song: The Big Country (but i'll stick up for 'Remain in Lght', I nearly chose Once In a Lifetime)

User avatar
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23882
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Jul 2006, 21:34

I, Zimbra is phenomenal. One of the great bands.

User avatar
Prograstinator
Posts: 1668
Joined: 29 Mar 2006, 22:38

Postby Prograstinator » 16 Jul 2006, 21:44

Album: 'More Songs about Buildings and Food', a bit rough around the edges but it's so clever it get's away with it.

Best song, 'Heaven' it's their 'Imagine', you're not going to say it's your favourite song but it is really. Naive Melody is good also.
...

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 21:50

Tangent wrote:
Best song, 'Heaven' it's their 'Imagine', you're not going to say it's your favourite song but it is really.


Great song but the chorus lets it down just a wee bit.

User avatar
Jon K
Posts: 4728
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:09
Location: Liverpool England
Contact:

Postby Jon K » 16 Jul 2006, 21:57

Album: Talking Heads 77
Song: Life During Wartime

:D

User avatar
Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes
Posts: 2470
Joined: 30 May 2006, 06:23
Location: Embracing The Gloom

Postby Prince Of Peace » 16 Jul 2006, 21:58

I'd have to go back over the albums, but their best track was "Lifetime Piling Up", surely? Maybe "Blind" at a push?
Image

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 29339
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jul 2006, 22:37

Never been a big fan, find Byrne a bit difficult vocally, think the rhythm section took a while to grow into the role, but they definitely had their moments. Mainly because of guests- Adrian Belew, Eno, and of course the brilliant Bernie Worrell. Another band I could say I don't "get," but if I don't by now, it's not going to happen, is it? Actually, I really like the Tom Tom Club, since it's light, dorky fun, the only Talking Heads-related record that doesn't reach too high.

Album - Penk's wrong. Remain in Light, no contest.
Song - I, Zimbra, probably. None of the hits, for sure.

Oh, and I want to slap Byrne every time I hear their gutless, soulless version of Take Me to the River.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 22:41

toomanyhatz wrote:Never been a big fan, find Byrne a bit difficult vocally, think the rhythm section took a while to grow into the role, but they definitely had their moments. Mainly because of guests- Adrian Belew, Eno, and of course the brilliant Bernie Worrell. Another band I could say I don't "get," but if I don't by now, it's not going to happen, is it? Actually, I really like the Tom Tom Club, since it's light, dorky fun, the only Talking Heads-related record that doesn't reach too high.


:shock:

Ah, now you're just being contrary, right?

Daftest post of the day.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 29339
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jul 2006, 22:47

Sir John Coan wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Never been a big fan, find Byrne a bit difficult vocally, think the rhythm section took a while to grow into the role, but they definitely had their moments. Mainly because of guests- Adrian Belew, Eno, and of course the brilliant Bernie Worrell. Another band I could say I don't "get," but if I don't by now, it's not going to happen, is it? Actually, I really like the Tom Tom Club, since it's light, dorky fun, the only Talking Heads-related record that doesn't reach too high.


:shock:

Ah, now you're just being contrary, right?

Daftest post of the day.


Not at all. Byrne's a pretentious twit most of the time. What T-Heads I like is often despite, not because of him.

Oh, and your avatar frightens me. :lol:
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 16 Jul 2006, 22:54

Album: Fear Of Music

Song: Psycho Killer, the second version from the The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads reissue.

User avatar
Jeff K
The Original K
Posts: 32698
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:08
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff K » 16 Jul 2006, 23:01

Album - The Name of This Band is Talking Heads

Song - Love is a Building On Fire
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 23:09

Jeff K wrote:Album - The Name of This Band is Talking Heads

Song - Love is a Building On Fire


Good choices! Shit! I'd forgotten about both song and album.

Hm.

That album is their almost-lost classic, wouldn't you say?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jul 2006, 23:10

toomanyhatz wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Never been a big fan, find Byrne a bit difficult vocally, think the rhythm section took a while to grow into the role, but they definitely had their moments. Mainly because of guests- Adrian Belew, Eno, and of course the brilliant Bernie Worrell. Another band I could say I don't "get," but if I don't by now, it's not going to happen, is it? Actually, I really like the Tom Tom Club, since it's light, dorky fun, the only Talking Heads-related record that doesn't reach too high.


:shock:

Ah, now you're just being contrary, right?

Daftest post of the day.


Not at all. Byrne's a pretentious twit most of the time. What T-Heads I like is often despite, not because of him.

Oh, and your avatar frightens me. :lol:


Me too! I'll get rid of it in a couple of days.

It's that weird hairy bottom lip that gets me. And the etched bags under the eyes.

User avatar
Jeff K
The Original K
Posts: 32698
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:08
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff K » 16 Jul 2006, 23:12

Sir John Coan wrote:
Jeff K wrote:Album - The Name of This Band is Talking Heads

Song - Love is a Building On Fire


Good choices! Shit! I'd forgotten about both song and album.

Hm.

That album is their almost-lost classic, wouldn't you say?


Almost lost before it was finally reissued a couple of years ago. Brilliant live album showing the band progressing from a quirky, Modern Lovers-influenced foursome to a quirky big funk band.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14755
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Postby The Write Profile » 16 Jul 2006, 23:30

Okay, I wrote a bit on the Talking Heads a while back, I'll have to rewrite it a bit perhaps to fit the context of the thread, but hopefully it will make some sense, all the same:

It's interesting how some think that Remain in Light was when the Talking Heads blanded out. I don't think that's quite the case, although it's undeniably their last great record (live albums The Name of The Band is Talking Heads and Stop Making Sense aside), its more to do with the fact that they had taken the everyman misanthropy as far as it could go.

I mean, how much more paranoid could you get after Fear of Music, which denounces everything from Animals ("they're setting a bad example") to Air ("it can hurt you too). The impetutous rhythms that provided the momentum for that LP were developed in Remain in Light for different ends I feel, this time Byrne's protagonist is willing to accept that he has to involve himself with people.

Rather than declaiming that he "wouldn't live there if you paid him too" (as in "The Big Country" on second LP More Songs About Buldings And Food), he admits he might be missing something, though he's uncertain what the rammifications might be ("my god, what have I done?"). Musically, something like "Cities" could be placed on Remain in Light's second side, even if lyrically it's more jittery, prone to odd word associations ("think of London...a small city")

Okay, the above is all prime candidacy for Pseud's corner, I admit, but Stop Making Sense (the film) seems to be structured in a similar way- the begin with the edgy, detached numbers ("Psycho Killer," "Heaven") and end in a mass singalong. It's an incredible concert film, contrived of course, but also jubilant and full of life. It works as a piece of cinema aside from the music, and as such is one of Demme's best pictures. On another note, does anyone else think that Tina Weymoth looked gorgeous in that film?

They had a hell of a lot of great tunes, especially in their early material. If Remain in Light is their last great LP, then it's a hell of a summation of what they worked towards.

All the same, if I'm totally honest, the LP with the greatest impact has to be Talking Heads '77, one man's neurotic clarion call. Spindly, impatient and uncertain, Byrne pitches his character somewhere between Mr. Rogers, Norman Bates in "Psycho" and Patrick Bateman.

As for the songs, I think you'd be hardpressed to go past "The Big Country," the most relentlessly detached track ever to use pedal steel, perhaps? It's a strange song all the same, veering between placidity and outright contempt, and a great way to finish the transitional More Songs About Buildings and Food. Or is it the shifting, questioning "Mind" from Fear of Music? ("Everything seems to be up in the air this time")

To be honest, I reckon everything they did up to Remain in Light is essential, as are the two live albums. After that, you pays your money and takes your chances. Actually the live albums show what a great band they were, Tina Weymouth, in particular was an amazing bassist, just the sheer range to the material, always keeping it tight, even when the music stretched out. The Name of This Band is Talking Heads works better than any bestof could in outlining their appeal. The reissue is a dream,adding something like 19 extra tracks.



I might post a bit more, but I don't know whether would anyone would be very interested, so I'll just finish here.
Last edited by The Write Profile on 17 Jul 2006, 00:30, edited 2 times in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.