BCB 100 - Nirvana

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Nirvana

Postby geoffcowgill » 16 Jul 2006, 19:49

I need to pick up Bleach some time. But of the other two regular studio albums, In Utero is definitely my favorite. I don't only find the sound of the album more interesting, I just think in general it has better songs on it. I find "Pennyroyal Tea" and "All Apologies" a bit overrated (though the latter does have a nice melody), but some of my favorite songs of theirs are infrequently remarked on; "Frances Farmer...", "Very Ape", even "Heart-Shaped Box" seems kind of ignored for a single.

Favorite Album - In Utero

Favorite Song - "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle"

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 16 Jul 2006, 19:54

Favorite album:Nevermind

Favorite song: "All Apologies", "Something In The Way"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

B

Postby B » 16 Jul 2006, 20:03

Album: In Utero

Song: Milk It

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 16 Jul 2006, 21:53

A band which meant a lot to me at one point and In Utero is probably one of those 5 or 6 albums which I could sing you from start to finish. I've not got a need for them any more but I'm glad they're there.

Song: I'll go with Geoff and say 'Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle'. It takes the quiet/loud thing to ridiculous extremes. Nirvana in excelsis.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jul 2006, 22:28

I figure I've said enough about them. Hype, heroin addiction, Pixies influence and Courtney Love aside, the truth's in the grooves. They were for real.

Song - So many I don't know where to begin. But let's say "About a Girl," because that's the one more than any other that said they couldn't fit so comfortably in a box, in much the way the acoustic stuff on Zeppelin I did.

Album - Unplugged in New York. Could the Pixies have pulled this off? I think not.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 16 Jul 2006, 23:02

album-In Utero

song=About a Girl/Sliver. Some of the more famous ones are probably just as good or better but I haven't heard these two to death!
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 16 Jul 2006, 23:04

Album - Nevermind

Song - Lithuim
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 16 Jul 2006, 23:36

I loved them at the time, and though I never feel compelled to listen anymore, I think they were generally fantastic. I, personally, needed a band with catchy, simple songs and a striking lead vocalist when they came along. And the Pixies weren't that band.

Album - Incesticide

Song - "Sappy"

Smudge

Postby Smudge » 17 Jul 2006, 00:00

Album - In Utero
Song - Aneurysm

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 17 Jul 2006, 00:41

They were fucking shite.

Why won't anybody stand up and say it?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 17 Jul 2006, 03:49

They were fucking shite.

...ummm, because they weren't?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Jul 2006, 04:06

Sir John Coan wrote:They were fucking shite.

It happens all the time around here (especially when it comes to this band), so don't go whining that we suffer from some kind of groupthink and no one has the stones to take on a sacred cow when necessary. It's not like it takes a special amount of courage to "go against the grain" and come out against something popular.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 17 Jul 2006, 04:20

Baron 'O' Boogie wrote:

It happens all the time around here (especially when it comes to this band), so don't go whining that we suffer from some kind of groupthink and no one has the stones to take on a sacred cow when necessary. It's not like it takes a special amount of courage to "go against the grain" and come out against something popular.

One can of Texas Whoop-ass, opened. :D

Album- Nevermind

Song- Sliver
He tries.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 Jul 2006, 05:52

Nothing wrong with Nirvana, I suppose. A perfectly good band by most standards. But I'll never understand the effort to raise them up to elite status. I suppose the winner gets the spoils, and the fact that they were the group that made "indy" records into a commodity buys them a key to rock and roll's executive washroom. But it's went beyond that, and I just don't get it.

I think a big part of it was the reaction that the rock press had to them. It was good copy making them "important." Critics at that time were in the habit of describing acts in terms of their social importance - and sales always seemed to be the barometer of that importance. They so wanted the alternative scene to provide them with a successor to the Chuck Berry, Elvis, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin lineage, that they tried to shoehorn Nirvana [and soon after - Pearl Jam] into that role. Then when Cobain died, they went into overdrive trying to paint him as a next generation Lennon or Jim Morrison. It all just seemed so desperate. But it did move a lot of t-shirts.

I hated the hype, but didn't mind the band. Like many bands of that era their chord progressions could be a bit nebulous and their lyrics a bit too concious of the clever vs. angst ratio, but just as often as not they cut through to something that felt somewhat undeniable.

Of course they get major credit for wiping away the cultural influence of Susnset Strip hair bands with the release of Smell's Like Teen Spirit, but the joyless, lifeless "grunge" movement that followed soon made Warrant's Cherry Pie seem like a lot of fun in comparison.

I'm not sure how they deserve a spot on this list, or on any list of 100 great rock acts. I'll assume I'm missing something. As I said, a perfectly good band. But so was Thin Lizzy.

Favorite Album: Nevermind

Favorite Song: Come As You Are
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 17 Jul 2006, 07:42

Because time will prove you wrong. How irrational of you.

Album - Nevermind

Song - Sliver

One of the greatest bands of all time, pure and simple.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 17 Jul 2006, 15:08

Aye, obviously a band that divides opinion, but they are in the 'elite' group of my favourite bands of all time, top 4-5. god, picking and chosing? how does one do it...Lithium just snarled at me at the perfect time of my life, absolutely adored it...In Bloom is what separated them from virtually everyone in the 1990s, dumb metal rock (obviously bearing the Bleach hallmarks) that was actually cool...Breed is the poppiest speed punk i've come across...but I'll stick to my guns I think and say Lounge Act as I've said before- gorgeous love song, compelling story behind it and just a fantastic tempo...

Album: Bleach

Song: Lounge Act
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 17 Jul 2006, 15:29

Brilliant band, and Cobain was one of the best singers of his generation ... and if you don't agree, go and listen to Where Did You Sleep Last Night from the MTV Unplugged album again.

Song: Sliver

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Jul 2006, 15:42

Fantastic. The last band I truly loved (as opposed to merely liking their music or admiring something about them).

The funny thing is I simply liked them at the time. I had Nevermind, In Utero and the Unplugged CDs and that was it. Liked them well enough--which is to say played them some, thought about them less and cranked the songs up when they came on the radio.

Years later I read Come as You Are and Heavier Than Heaven and simply understood.

After that I set about accumulating everything they ever officially released and came to the conclusion that about 70% of it is great.

Now I've come full circle, which is to say I play them some, think about them less and crank up the songs when they come on the radio.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Jul 2006, 18:14

Bollocks to all the ephemeral stuff, no one here gives a toss about the lyrics or the iconography when it comes to Nirvana. All that matters is that Cobain had the talent when it came to writing and singing.
People who say In Utero or Bleach are the best albums are trying to look cool and missing what was really the good thing about Nirvana, because Nevermind and the Unplugged one showcase one of the finest songwriters of his generation at the top of his game.
I don't listen to them very often any more but whenever I do I'm surprised by how well they stand up. There's still nothing adolescent or silly about them, it's just exciting, tuneful, dynamic songs played with passion. And people have a tendency to forget that that's why everyone likes them so much.
Lounge Act, meanwhile is my favourite song.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Aug 2006, 04:21

Such absurd nonsense spouted here. It really does bother me. At least there haven't been more than a handful of posters espousing. It indicates perhaps that there's a silent majority of Nirvana-haters around. I would honestly hope so.

Nirvana were toss

Return to “BCB 100”