BCB 100 - Al Green

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
User avatar
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript
Posts: 3380
Joined: 23 Oct 2003, 23:43

BCB 100 - Al Green

Postby geoffcowgill » 12 Jul 2006, 18:07

His classic stuff is a bit samey, but it's a trademark that is instantly recognizable and just sets you down in a lush pile of pillows and feeds you syrup and coffee. On so many of those recordings, with the multiple vocal tracks, if you listen on headphones it's like having a bunch of Al Greens in your head telling you slightly different things. I'd probably get bored pretty quickly if I listened for too long, but in nice concise doses, it's pretty sweet hypnotic stuff.

Favorite Album - I'm Still In Love With You probably -- Call Me, maybe

Favorite Song - "Jesus Is Waiting"

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jul 2006, 18:14

Albert Green? Alan Green? Alfred Green? Alfonso Green?

Is there a song called 'Here I Am'? That's good. But I think he's enormously overrated by the 'soul canon' lot. I'd agree 'samey' is the word. And for a man who's consistently praised for his passion, I don't hear a lot of it on his records. Incredible voice, however.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jul 2006, 18:16

Hey Pep! wrote:Albert Green? Alan Green? Alfred Green? Alfonso Green?

Is there a song called 'Here I Am'? That's good. But I think he's enormously overrated by the 'soul canon' lot. I'd agree 'samey' is the word. And for a man who's consistently praised for his passion, I don't hear a lot of it on his records. Incredible voice, however.


good for you, coan. pretty much spot on.

the soul man for non-soul fans.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jul 2006, 18:19

grimble gromble wrote:
Hey Pep! wrote:Albert Green? Alan Green? Alfred Green? Alfonso Green?

Is there a song called 'Here I Am'? That's good. But I think he's enormously overrated by the 'soul canon' lot. I'd agree 'samey' is the word. And for a man who's consistently praised for his passion, I don't hear a lot of it on his records. Incredible voice, however.


good for you, coan. pretty much spot on.

the soul man for non-soul fans.


Is it really solarskope? Welcome back, man!

User avatar
Kenji
Otaku
Posts: 22639
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 02:59
Location: Tokyo

Postby Kenji » 12 Jul 2006, 18:20

Best and cheapest way is buy his first 8 albums this way:

Image



Image

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28027
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Jul 2006, 18:31

...Bbbut- that voice! That groove! The atmosphere it creates in the bedroom! I don't care if it's samey, it's great stuff! Plus I disagree he's got no passion- he's a religious man with a huge libido, and I hear the conflict between the two in his voice in the same way I do with Marvin Gaye who, admittedly, is the superior artist. But I love Al Green, because Al Green is love.

*Is relieved to be disagreeing with Coan again*

Album - Al Green Explores Your Mind
Song - Let's Stay Together
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23903
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Jul 2006, 18:47

grimble gromble wrote:
Hey Pep! wrote:Albert Green? Alan Green? Alfred Green? Alfonso Green?

Is there a song called 'Here I Am'? That's good. But I think he's enormously overrated by the 'soul canon' lot. I'd agree 'samey' is the word. And for a man who's consistently praised for his passion, I don't hear a lot of it on his records. Incredible voice, however.


good for you, coan. pretty much spot on.

the soul man for non-soul fans.



See him in concert. Just once. It will all make sense to you then. Unfortunately he's one of those artists that isn't well served by the recording studio. An audio recording simply cannot capture the energy, passion and semi-insanity that spills out of this guy. But even with that limitation, he's still made some of the finest soul records ever.

Al Green is one of the greats. And he is still performing at a high level. Go see him while you still can. He's the Chamoy of Fruit.

Favorite Album: Call Me
Favorite Song: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 12 Jul 2006, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28027
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Jul 2006, 18:53

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:He's the Chamoy of Fruit.


Now that's what I call an obscure reference!

Are you saying he "has vegetable salty"?
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23903
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Jul 2006, 19:28

toomanyhatz wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:He's the Chamoy of Fruit.


Now that's what I call an obscure reference!

Are you saying he "has vegetable salty"?


Image
62.16% of your daily value of humidity!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

marios

Postby marios » 12 Jul 2006, 20:05

pig bodine wrote:Jeez! I like him.

Album--Gets Next To You
Song--Love and Happiness


Welcome back Pig!

Album: Call Me
Song: Tired Of Being Alone

User avatar
Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast
Posts: 9466
Joined: 19 Oct 2003, 11:33
Location: Crying in the chapel
Contact:

Postby Leg of lamb » 12 Jul 2006, 20:12

I like Al Green but do find his stuff a little mannered and alien. When I'm in the mood for him, I'm Still In Love With You hits the spot but I doubt I need much more else. Having said that I'll probably end up buying all his 'classic' albums sooner or later.

Favourite song: 'Love and Happiness'. Killer groove.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

User avatar
brilleaux
Posts: 1755
Joined: 21 Jan 2004, 14:19

Postby brilleaux » 12 Jul 2006, 20:14

Fave track? "Here I Am (Come And Take Me)"
"I am a dull and simple lad. Cannot tell water from champagne."

User avatar
Clippernolan
Maya's Prop
Posts: 12289
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:55
Location: The mangy BC hills
Contact:

Postby Clippernolan » 12 Jul 2006, 20:22

album - dunno.

Song - "Let's Stay Together".
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40282
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Jul 2006, 20:37

toomanyhatz is right. Again.

Except for the specifics, for which I'll suggest:


Album - Call Me

Song: "Love Ritual (Bwana mix)"

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29890
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Jul 2006, 20:40

goldwax wrote:
grimble gromble wrote:
Hey Pep! wrote:Albert Green? Alan Green? Alfred Green? Alfonso Green?

Is there a song called 'Here I Am'? That's good. But I think he's enormously overrated by the 'soul canon' lot. I'd agree 'samey' is the word. And for a man who's consistently praised for his passion, I don't hear a lot of it on his records. Incredible voice, however.


good for you, coan. pretty much spot on.

the soul man for non-soul fans.


Two ridiculous posts. Stand still so I can smack your heads together.


Good for you, Goldie. Pretty much spot on.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jul 2006, 20:43

Matt Wilson wrote:
goldwax wrote:
grimble gromble wrote:
Hey Pep! wrote:Albert Green? Alan Green? Alfred Green? Alfonso Green?

Is there a song called 'Here I Am'? That's good. But I think he's enormously overrated by the 'soul canon' lot. I'd agree 'samey' is the word. And for a man who's consistently praised for his passion, I don't hear a lot of it on his records. Incredible voice, however.


good for you, coan. pretty much spot on.

the soul man for non-soul fans.


Two ridiculous posts. Stand still so I can smack your heads together.


Good for you, Goldie. Pretty much spot on.


a non-soul fan reunion!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29890
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Jul 2006, 20:50

grimble gromble wrote: a non-soul fan reunion!


You must be the first graduate of the T Berry school of soul.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jul 2006, 20:57

Matt Wilson wrote:
grimble gromble wrote: a non-soul fan reunion!


You must be the first graduate of the T Berry school of soul.


well t-berry is the man (like i didn't already know it)!

seriously though, al green? style over substance, surely?

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29890
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Jul 2006, 21:06

grimble gromble wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
grimble gromble wrote: a non-soul fan reunion!


You must be the first graduate of the T Berry school of soul.


well t-berry is the man (like i didn't already know it)!

seriously though, al green? style over substance, surely?


Seriously, like you would know the difference.

Now, Michael and I have gone 'round with this before--and he knows I'm a Marvin Gaye man when it comes to '70s soul, but how can you say Al Green has no substance? Not only a run of no less than thirteen US top 40 pop hits from 1971-1976 (and who knows how many hits on the R&B charts?), but a slew of good/great albums thrown in for good measure. I mean have you heard Get's Next to You, Let's Stay Together, I'm Still In Love With You, Call Me, Livin' For You, Explores Your Mind, Is Love, and The Belle Album?

At least five of those are classics.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jul 2006, 21:08

Matt Wilson wrote:
grimble gromble wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
grimble gromble wrote: a non-soul fan reunion!


You must be the first graduate of the T Berry school of soul.


well t-berry is the man (like i didn't already know it)!

seriously though, al green? style over substance, surely?


Seriously, like you would know the difference.

Now, Michael and I have gone 'round with this before--and he knows I'm a Marvin Gaye man when it comes to '70s soul, but how can you say Al Green has no substance? Not only a run of no less than thirteen US top 40 pop hits from 1971-1976 (and who knows how many hits on the R&B charts?), but a slew of good/great albums thrown in for good measure. I mean have you heard Get's Next to You, Let's Stay Together, I'm Still In Love With You, Call Me, Livin' For You, Explores Your Mind, Is Love, and The Belle Album?

At least five of those are classics.


just my opinion. nothing personal.