BCB 100 - The Velvet Underground

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Jul 2006, 20:32

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Balboa wrote: for some reason I find Heroin to be a bit childish these days.

I know what you mean, it's studied junkie nihilism seems a bit jejune and naive now. But when you consider it was written in 1965, it's still a pretty extraordinary lyric.

I see it not as a song written by Lou Reed at a certain time or a bold statement before the world, but as a pure musical and lyrical accounting of an experience. Anything childish in it is there because that's what the guy in the song (not necessarily Lou) is thinking. I've never taken heroin, so I don't know if I'd have the same reaction, but to me, this song never goes out of style.

Album: The first one probably, though the third one is just as good and the second one is the most exciting.
Song: There are so many that are so good, but then I remembered ... "All Tomorrow's Parties", of course.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Jul 2006, 20:41

I love them more and more. I really do think of them as an old friend. And they've excited and moved me perhaps more than any other band.

I think it'd be fair to say that they sound better as time goes by. That's not to be mistaken with 'they sound better as I get older', by the way!

I still think they're slightly underrated here, of course. There are a whole load of disbelievers and too many who are lukewarm to their wonderful and timeless creations. Perhaps the sunglasses-after-dark/arty schtick puts people off.

The truth this, they were a band of an extremely rare and high calibre. And they covered all bases with four beautiful albums.

I envy anyone making the discovery as a teen. I will always remember that moment in a hotel room in London when I was 16, hearing 'What Goes On' on a Walkman. If music obsession was an illness, psychologists would point to that moment and say 'ah! we can see here when the problem began...'. Really, they became an obsession. And the Beatles sounded effete, too pure, and much less exciting for a while.

Album: 'Loaded'

Song: 'What Goes On' (studio version is my favourite song of all-time - I ration plays, it elevates me still, especially in its final groove section)

Beno

Postby Beno » 10 Jul 2006, 20:57

A truly great band, which managed that rare combination of being experimental and listenable at the same time.

Favourite album - The third one

Favourite track - Venus In Furs

B

Postby B » 10 Jul 2006, 21:08

Hey Pep! wrote:Album: 'Loaded'

Really? :o

I figured you'd say the third album, or maybe White Light, but not that one.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 10 Jul 2006, 21:14

Album - 3rd
Song - 'What Goes On'

I don't really know what else to add here. They could be (and mostly were) unfathomably good.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Jul 2006, 21:18

I'm surprised no one's come along yet and said they were unlistenable shite, someone usually does on VU threads. I've never known how anyone can come to that conclusion though because they were so diverse, and their talents lay in so many different areas, that everything they did must be of interest to someone. I'm not sure which my favourite album is, but my favourite song is Pale Blue Eyes.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

K

Postby K » 10 Jul 2006, 21:38

Album: Probably Loaded
Song: Well, I picked up my guitar today and played Pale Blue Eyes, so I'll go for that

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 10 Jul 2006, 21:41

808 wrote:3rd
Pale Blue Eyes

Good man, me too.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Jul 2006, 21:46

Brian wrote:
Hey Pep! wrote:Album: 'Loaded'

Really? :o

I figured you'd say the third album, or maybe White Light, but not that one.

I think the 3rd one's a tiny bit overrated. It's many people's favourite, but I think it sounds tired in places. Which I guess is its appeal to many - it has that weary feel.

To me, at least initially, they were always about creating an unholy row, and that's largely what still appeals to me. These days, it seems people keep that kind of thing more and more at arm's length. It's all about Nick Drake and Fairport Convention and cathedrals of sound and fragile vocals and melodic pop and all that crap. It bugs me and one day I'll put together a thread about it.

'Loaded' is an incredibly tuneful and confident thing and proves their worth as a non-arty rock band, seemingly against the odds.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Jul 2006, 22:08

Hey Pep! wrote:'Loaded' is an incredibly tuneful and confident thing and proves their worth as a non-arty rock band, seemingly against the odds.

But as great as it is, it's my least favorite album of theirs.

It feels the most like a Lou Reed solo album, even though he only sings about 6/10 of the songs.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Jul 2006, 22:10

Snarfyguy wrote:
Hey Pep! wrote:'Loaded' is an incredibly tuneful and confident thing and proves their worth as a non-arty rock band, seemingly against the odds.

But as great as it is, it's my least favorite album of theirs.

It feels the most like a Lou Reed solo album, even though he only sings about 6/10 of the songs.

I know what you mean. I just get the feeling they stood on a mountain and shook their fists, victorious and vindicated - 'we always said we could do this!'

And the first side is impeccable. Really, every bit as good as 'Abbey Road'.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 22:13

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Jul 2006, 22:15

Matt Wilson wrote:Image

FUCK OFF!

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 10 Jul 2006, 22:16

Leg of lamb wrote:Album - 3rd
Song - 'What Goes On'

by some distance.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 10 Jul 2006, 22:17

Hey Pep! wrote:
To me, at least initially, they were always about creating an unholy row, and that's largely what still appeals to me. These days, it seems people keep that kind of thing more and more at arm's length. It's all about Nick Drake and Fairport Convention and cathedrals of sound and fragile vocals and melodic pop and all that crap. It bugs me and one day I'll put together a thread about it.

Its funny but the "unholy row" accounts for such a small part of their work. The bulk of their stuff is reasonably accessible (at least musically)- at least 1/2 of the first album, actually not too much off the second, most of the third and most of the fourth. So maybe 60-70% is nowhere near as strange as you would think. Left of centre, sure, but its not all Sister Ray.

In fact there is plenty of fragile vocals and melodic pop going on.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 22:18

Hey Pep! wrote:

FUCK OFF!

You're close.
I think what he says though is something along the lines of "If anyone came here to be mellow then you can turn around and get the fuck out of here."

Raising the question why would anyone come to a Ted Nugent concert to be mellow? But let's not go there.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 10 Jul 2006, 22:18

Hey Pep! wrote:I think the 3rd one's a tiny bit overrated. It's many people's favourite, but I think it sounds tired in places. Which I guess is its appeal to many - it has that weary feel.

That's my reasoning. Not to say I don't like the others. The debut's got the iconic/classicist thing down cold; WL/WH is an almighty racket which I rarely feel like listening to, but is compelling when its on; Loaded's the weakest but has some fabulous FM rock songs on it.

But the self titled 3rd is world weary, groovy, stoned and, yes, tired. I love it (the Murder Mystery, though... :? )

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 10 Jul 2006, 22:26

White Light / Great White Buffalo?
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Jul 2006, 22:37

Balboa wrote:
Hey Pep! wrote:

Its funny but the "unholy row" accounts for such a small part of their work. The bulk of their stuff is reasonably accessible (at least musically)- at least 1/2 of the first album, actually not too much off the second, most of the third and most of the fourth. So maybe 60-70% is nowhere near as strange as you would think. Left of centre, sure, but its not all Sister Ray.

In fact there is plenty of fragile vocals and melodic pop going on.

True enough, but I think Coan does have a point. They did write plenty of great songs and that's maybe why they've lasted as well as they have, and why none of their albums are ever a 'difficult' listen, but I imagine that when most people think of the Velvets they don't think of Who Loves the Sun or Pale Blue Eyes, they think of Sister Ray or Venus in Furs. I know I do, and I love the band. I think they're remembered, and always will be remembered, for their wild side, for the noise and pushing boundaries, however good they may be at anything else.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 10 Jul 2006, 22:46

Album White Light/White Heat

Song Sister Ray

Am I the first to choose the second as their best? I'm surprised.

I once read a comment that it sounds like the engineer turned on the desk, set the tape running and left the control room.

It is so chaotic, loud and exciting. And it sounds sooooooo bad. An incredible album.

Return to “BCB 100”