BCB 100 - The Velvet Underground

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - The Velvet Underground

Postby geoffcowgill » 10 Jul 2006, 19:08

New York group operating from roughly 1965-1970. Just like Simon & Garfunkel, today's other entry. To what extent do these two mirror each other? They seem on the surface to be complete opposites, but what brilliant doppelganger thesis can be created? I expect your papers on my desk tomorrow morning.

Favorite Album - The Velvet Underground and Nico

Favorite Song - "Heroin"

But neither of those choices are by such a wide margin that they discount the greatness of the rest of their work. I love at least something from each album and find them all great in their own ways.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 10 Jul 2006, 19:14

It's almost impossible to choose a favorite album or song since I like them all. As of July 10, 2006 it's..

Album - The Velvets 3rd LP

Song - Sunday Morning
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 19:16

Should we really be discussing the Velvets when Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo has just been reissued/remastered in the UK?

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 10 Jul 2006, 19:19

Matt Wilson wrote:Should we really be discussing the Velvets when Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo has just been reissued/remastered in the UK?

Patience, Matt.

The BCB 100 - Ted Nugent will be posted shortly.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 19:22

Jeff K wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Should we really be discussing the Velvets when Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo has just been reissued/remastered in the UK?

Patience, Matt.

The BCB 100 - Ted Nugent will be posted shortly.

Good, LMG and I will surely post on it.
Terrible Ted was from Detroit too, you know...

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 10 Jul 2006, 19:30

Album: Velvet Underground and Nico

Track: Sister Ray

Any votes for BlackAngel Death Song or The Gift?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Jul 2006, 19:33

Album: The Velvet Underground and Nico

Song: I'm Waiting For My Man
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

B

Postby B » 10 Jul 2006, 19:41

Album: The third one

Song: "Pale Blue Eyes" or "Sunday Morning" or "Lady Godiva's Operation"

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jul 2006, 19:44

Album: Eponymous third
Song : I'll Be Your Mirror

Wonderful band.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Jul 2006, 19:53

One of the bands who really changed the way I hear music, but I can't elaborate as much as I'd like right now. In short- those who think they were only about shock value or standing apart from the hippies are wrong, wrong, wrong- there is a spiritual quest in their music that is rarely spoken of, but it's what's most significant about them, not the Warhol connections or the drug mentions or even the musical dissonance, which they were masters of. It was the fact that they could go from a sonic assault like Sister Ray to I'll Be Your Mirror, one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and make it seem like the same band. I can't possibly pick a favorite song or album, the albums are all about tied, and there's at least a dozen songs that I wouldn't want to put any others above.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 19:54

But, but you guys are all really big Ted Nugent fans too, right?

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 10 Jul 2006, 20:03

Great band - actually I love them more for their songs more than their albums. Does that make sense? I could listen to a great CDR of their best stuff because I don't think it all falls in one place.
The first album I like a lot, but the last two tracks are spoilers to me, and for some reason I find Heroin to be a bit childish these days. Can't really explain it. The second album is half great, half ok (put me down as just cool on Sister Ray). So I guess it is only on their third do they manage to bring together a batch of songs that I can listen to over and over again (minus The Murder Mystery). Loaded has one of the best starts to any album - in fact these guys had killer starts to all their albums (Sunday Morning, I'm Waiting for my Man - first, White Light/White Heat - second, Candy Says, What Goes On - third and Who Loves the Sun, Sweet Jane and Rock & Roll - third) - but I guess Loaded just about trumps them.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that all their albums contain killer tunes - but also some stuff I just don't get on with. The later albums are more consistant - but I don't listen to the Velvets for consistency. I actually play the VU odds and sods compilation as much as anything these days.

Album - 3rd
Song - Ocean (don't know why but I love this song, I love the way that Tucker plays the cymbals - suits the song perfectly)
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jul 2006, 20:12

Matt Wilson wrote:But, but you guys are all really big Ted Nugent fans too, right?

But he makes pigeons disintergrate as they fly in front of the speakers by playing his music too loud. What a nasty man!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 10 Jul 2006, 20:13

3rd
Pale Blue Eyes

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jul 2006, 20:15

Balboa wrote: for some reason I find Heroin to be a bit childish these days.

I know what you mean, it's studied junkie nihilism seems a bit jejune and naive now. But when you consider it was written in 1965, it's still a pretty extraordinary lyric.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 10 Jul 2006, 20:20

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Balboa wrote: for some reason I find Heroin to be a bit childish these days.

I know what you mean, it's studied junkie nihilism seems a bit jejune and naive now. But when you consider it was written in 1965, it's still a pretty extraordinary lyric.

I agree, and I was smitten with it as a 16 year old, but it bores me a bit as an adult to be honest. I guess I just don't care. Fancy that.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 20:23

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:But, but you guys are all really big Ted Nugent fans too, right?

But he makes pigeons disintergrate as they fly in front of the speakers by playing his music too loud. What a nasty man!

Oh, so you have heard Double Live Gonzo?!!
That is the most unModernist album ever, don't you think?

***sits back, satisfied that his movement to highjack yet another Velvet Underground thread in favor of Ted Nugent has slightly succeeded***
Last edited by Matt Wilson on 10 Jul 2006, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Davey the Fat Boy

Re: BCB 100 - The Velvet Underground

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jul 2006, 20:24

geoffcowgill wrote:New York group operating from roughly 1965-1970. Just like Simon & Garfunkel, today's other entry. To what extent do these two mirror each other? They seem on the surface to be complete opposites, but what brilliant doppelganger thesis can be created? I expect your papers on my desk tomorrow morning.

I'm just dumb enough to bite on this idea just a little bit.

It is amazing to realize that the Velvets and S&G were operating in the same time frame. Whenever I think about the Velvets their story seems to be out of place in its moment. It just doesn't fit with the Summer of Love and all. I keep wanting to place them a few years later. It would help me to create order in my world.

The obviously insight from all of this is that they were WAY ahead of their time. We were talking about postmodernism (probably the wrong word, but who cares) in rock in another thread - and it sure seems to me that the Velvets really ushered rock into the era of disaffection and distance. But in their own way, Simon and Garfunkel were also treading this ground. But Simon & Garfunkel did it at a safe poetic distance. When the Velvets did it, it immersed us in junkie culture and gave us our first real taste of rock and roll nihlism.

I love this band. But not in the heart and soul way I love Simon & Garfunkel, Brian Wilson, Bill Withers, The Beatles, The Kinks or The Zombies. I always feel like a visitor in Lou Reed's world. I'd never be cool enough or 'street' enough to really live there.

Favorite Album: The 3rd one
Favorite Song: Jesus
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 10 Jul 2006, 20:25

Favorite Album - Squeeze

Favorite Song - Coyote

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 20:27

Diamond Wolfie wrote:Favorite Album - Squeeze

Favorite Song - Coyote