BCB 100 - The Pixies

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - The Pixies

Postby geoffcowgill » 09 Jul 2006, 18:35

John Coan's got his Nirvana/Pixies poll going right now, so I hope this doesn't overload us with Pixies discussion. Actually, it should dovetail nicely.

Doolittle was one of the few 'weird underground' albums I got in high school. 4AD? What the hell? So in a way it might have been my dipping of the toe into slightly more outre stuff than was clogging popular media. But I never found it too weird. Despite the unusuallness of the lyrics and the hollerin', the Pixies always sounded perfectly melodic to me and very easy to listen to. The album remains my favorite of theirs, but all of them are good at least and I had no problem with the direction they were moving in with Trompe Le Monde.

Favorite Album - Doolittle

Favorite Song - "Velouria"

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Jul 2006, 18:41

Like I said on the other thread, they were really supreme melodicists, and I think that gets overlooked amid all the shrieking and slightly forced violent/surrealist imagery.

Quite probably the greatest rock band of the last 20 years.

Album: Doolittle

Song: 'Here Comes Your Man'

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 09 Jul 2006, 19:36

Trompe Le Monde for me for the same reasons I think Automatic is the greatest in the JAMC back catalogue. Its a lot harder and seems to be verging on desparation, which indeed it was as no one was talking to anybody at this point. Planet of Sound is immense. U Mass, Sad Punk and Subbacultcha are wild and Bird Dream Of Olympus Mons, Distance Equals Rate Equals Time and Motorway To Roswell are a real good indication as to what Charlie was going to get up to next. A real fuck-you lp.

Track? Isla de enacanta (just over Nimrods Son). There is just something really gripping and primal about Come On Pilgrim.

lemon

Postby lemon » 09 Jul 2006, 21:51

Album: Doolittle - a musical revelation for me, still one of, if not my favourite albums.

Track: No. 13 Baby

But I'm gonna stick Trompe Le Monde on now 'cos I've not given it enough of a chance.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 09 Jul 2006, 22:01

Song: Debaser (what is a debaser? is it something obvious im missing)
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

This Was
Internet Search Engine

Postby This Was » 09 Jul 2006, 22:22

Last edited by This Was on 08 Feb 2010, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Jul 2006, 22:25

Ranking Rupert wrote:Album: Surfer Rosa
Song: "Bone Machine"

That's it

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 09 Jul 2006, 22:58

I've changed my song to 'Where Is My Mind?'
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 09 Jul 2006, 23:45

Great band. One of those rare groups that manage to mix together several different, unique aspects perfectly and make it sound natural. I hardly ever listen to them any more, I burned out on them really but when you're in the mood they're one of those bands who'll never really be matched.
My favourite album is Come On Pilgrim, it's the only one which is totally on the ball. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are stronger at times but also have their faire share of misfires and nonsense, and the last two just don't really have the magic of the earlier work and just lack that incredibly likable quality. Fittingly enough my favourite song, Levitate Me, is from Come On Pilgrim. Rarely has gibberish sounded quite so good.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Jul 2006, 23:49

lemon wrote:Album: Doolittle - a musical revelation for me, still one of, if not my favourite albums.

Track: No. 13 Baby

Ah, yes! That'd be alongside my previous choice. Fucking brilliant. That drawn-out final coda is hellish exciting.

lemon wrote:But I'm gonna stick Trompe Le Monde on now 'cos I've not given it enough of a chance.

It's killer. 'Alec Eiffel' and 'Motorway to Roswell' especially hit home.

His shrieking's a bit much sometimes. Kind of petulant adolescent.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 10 Jul 2006, 09:37

Trompe le Monde is way underrated, Come on Pilgrim was a blistering statement of intent, Doolittle is the sound of the band fully realized, but its

Surfer Rosa

for me. Albini's best ever production; that crunching snare sound at the start of Bone Machine...there will be no let up until Cactus has run out. Utterly magnificent run of tracks.

Best Song = Gigantic

Closely followed by I've Been tired, Mr Grieves and No 13 Baby

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 10 Jul 2006, 10:42

Surfer Rosa

Debaser (but it could have been Gigantic, I Bleed, Rock Music :lol: , Planet Of Sound - God, there are loads of them).

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 10 Jul 2006, 10:58

Brilliant band, still kind of underappreciated, which is fine by me

Doolittle

Debaser
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 10 Jul 2006, 12:10

erm.. today it's.

Doolittle

Planet of Sound
Fishstick selling fuck

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 10 Jul 2006, 16:18

Album: Surfer Rosa

Song: Gouge Away

Lyric: "Sit right down my evil son/and let me tell you a story/about the boy who fell from glory/and how he was a wicked son/This ain't no holiday"
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

automatic_drip

Postby automatic_drip » 10 Jul 2006, 16:40

ALBUM - Doolittle

SONG - Gigantic (KIM! :D )

but could be Debaser (kim! :) ) or Planet of Sound (no kim :cry: ).
Only time will tell if we stand the test of time.... - Sammy Hagar

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 10 Jul 2006, 17:14

I like 'em but ... never really play them, I suppose. They're fidgety, not emotionally engaging and you have to be in the mood for the yelping. But they are very inventive and quite often a lot more arresting than almost any other band.

Album: Can I have the Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim comp/twofer/whatever?

Song: Probably 'Debaser'.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jul 2006, 17:25

Great band, just not what Coan claims.

Song: Monkey Gone to Heaven

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 10 Jul 2006, 17:40

Hey Pep! wrote:Quite probably the greatest rock band of the last 20 years.

I got the raised eyebrow treatment when I said they were the last band that mattered once. Apparently I'd get away with it in Prague.

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 10 Jul 2006, 17:43

Song - Hey! or River Euphrates

Album - Surfer Rosa

Hey is one the best anguished love (?) songs around. The primality of Frank Black's screams do hit a nerve. The whole "I'm chained" really hooked me into the song. One of my favourite of all time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5ngAiL ... -%20pixies

Return to “BCB 100”