BCB 100 - Nick Drake

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Nick Drake

Postby geoffcowgill » 05 Jul 2006, 16:55

Favorite Album - Bryter Layter

Favorite Song - "Northern Sky"

Willfully obscure, I am.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 05 Jul 2006, 16:57

Album - Pink Moon

Song - "Northern Sky", with "Things Behind The Sun" a very close second.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

moonie

Postby moonie » 05 Jul 2006, 16:59

I am always surprised at the number of guys who pick Northern Sky as their fav Drake tune. It just seems soooo goopy- I love goopy but I'm terribly sentimental and favor a good ballad anyday...

Favorite Album: Bryter Layter

Favorite Song: Northern Sky

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 05 Jul 2006, 17:04

First time I heard Nick Drake was 16 years ago but I read this book last year (first time):

It's very sad...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Jul 2006, 17:16

I think I'll have to go for the tedious, predictable choices too.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Jul 2006, 17:25

Album - Pink Moon
Song - Pink Moon

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 05 Jul 2006, 17:32

I only have the compilation CD, which is brilliant by the way. For today it has to be 'Pink Moon'.
BTW when I bought it, I found it a nice thing to hear that this particular comp was a steady seller over long, long years in my shop; more successfull than anything by REM, Springsteen, and all other great names.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Jul 2006, 18:19

Let it be known that I first heard Nick Drake in the late 70s. So the fact that I've always liked him is due to my reaction to his music and nothing else. Around here one needs to specify that.

Album - Five Leaves Left

Song - Three Hours or Cello Song
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 05 Jul 2006, 18:59

toomanyhatz wrote:Let it be known that I first heard Nick Drake in the late 70s. So the fact that I've always liked him is due to my reaction to his music and nothing else. Around here one needs to specify that.

Album - Five Leaves Left

I discovered Nick Drake a lot later than that, via John Martyn (not personally, you understand)
But I'm with you on the choices:
Album - Five Leaves Left

Song - Three Hours

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Jul 2006, 19:27

toomanyhatz wrote:Let it be known that I first heard Nick Drake in the late 70s. So the fact that I've always liked him is due to my reaction to his music and nothing else. Around here one needs to specify that.

I don't understand this....what do you mean by nothing else?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Jul 2006, 19:27

Album - Five Leaves Left

I"ve been following Nick Drake since the beginning - way back when he was just starting out writing commercial jingles. Even then it was obvious he was something special.

Album: Pink Moon
Song: Things Behind the Sun
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

frimleygreener
Location: between the rose and thistle and the old weatsheaf...

Postby frimleygreener » 05 Jul 2006, 19:35

hazy jane or cello song.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Jul 2006, 19:49

Tactful Cactus wrote:

I don't understand this....what do you mean by nothing else?

Retroactive defensiveness. When I first heard Nick Drake, I had no idea what underground rock stars loved him, that he was dead, how he died, what kind of a person he was, etc. I find with him more than any other artist, these outside factors influence both his fame and the backlash against it. And certain Prague residents- errr, I mean people- around here spend a lot of time judging people's music based on things other than the music itself. We all do it sometimes, and I'm not denying I have with other artists- just felt a particularly strong need to specify the fact that, in the case of Drake, I was able to judge him solely based on the music. I'm grateful for that fact.
Last edited by toomanyhatz on 05 Jul 2006, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: BCB 100 - Nick Drake

Postby The Slider » 05 Jul 2006, 19:53

geoffcowgill wrote:Favorite Album - Bryter Layter

Needs no more be said.

Though At The Chime of a City Clock could have been a contender.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 05 Jul 2006, 19:55

I first got into Nick Drake when he was actually still alive which these days seems to be a rarity. The first album I heard was Pink Moon and I was amazed at how good it was I promptly acquired his other two albums second hand and have been a fan ever since

Album: Pink Moon
Track(s) pink Moon/Time Has Told Me/Saturday Sun

Tactful Cactus

Re: BCB 100 - Nick Drake

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Jul 2006, 20:03

The Slider wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:Favorite Album - Bryter Layter

Needs no more be said.

I don't know why Bryter Layter seems to be his definitive work in some peoples eyes. I'm not saying its a bad album, far from it, but FLL and Pink Moon are so great too (better even, in my opinion). Those feckin' instrmentals put me off. Joe Boyd (in new book) swears Nick only put them on there in an act of defiance against him. Some of his best songs are on BL, clearly, but Five Leaves Left is a better album.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 05 Jul 2006, 20:07

I'm not sure I have a favourite Nick Drake album, but "River Man" is by far and away my favourite song. It paints such vivid pictures in my mind, finding a certain beauty in the mundanity of England.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Jul 2006, 20:08

toomanyhatz wrote:I was able to judge him solely based on the music. I'm grateful for that fact.

So if you only cottoned onto him a few years ago would you like his
music anyway, or would you retroactively decide not to be a victim of the Volkswagen marketing machine?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Jul 2006, 20:33

Tactful Cactus wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I was able to judge him solely based on the music. I'm grateful for that fact.

music anyway, or would you retroactively decide not to be a victim of the Volkswagen marketing machine?

I'd like to think so, but the fact that I can't say positively supports my point about how much baggage is carried by a artist's image/reputation. We're rarely able to hear music just as music. Some (Prague resident) people seem to relish that fact, others (like me) bemoan it and try to be as true to the listening experience as possible. I've no doubt that I've failed in this mission at times, but it is my mission- accomplished with Drake only by accident.
Footy wrote:

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Jul 2006, 20:44

toomanyhatz wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:

I'd like to think so, but the fact that I can't say positively supports my point about how much baggage is carried by a artist's image/reputation. We're rarely able to hear music just as music. Some (Prague resident) people seem to relish that fact, others (like me) bemoan it and try to be as true to the listening experience as possible. I've no doubt that I've failed in this mission at times, but it is my mission- accomplished with Drake only by accident.

Funny how these things matter to us. I recall telling a person about Drake who clearly would never have known about him pre-VW, only to be shocked to hear that she already had Pink Moon. I had no idea that this one use of the song in a commercial would spread his reputation that far. My first instinct was something akin to, "Damn...there goes the neighborhood." My second reaction was to be a bit ashamed at my musical snobbery.

With the advent of digital music, it is getting harder and harder every day to get much self-worth out of one's record collection. Some of us are going to have to develop other talents. Personally I'm taking up competitve snowboarding.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “BCB 100”