BCB 100 - The Band

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Brin
Rogue element
Location: ''Trying to get to heaven before they close the door''

Postby Brin » 03 Jul 2006, 23:43

Jimbo wrote:Good to see some votes for Stagefright. Fantastic album.

its brilliant
Beebsy wrote:The guys are wankers, we all know that.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Re: BCB 100 - The Band

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 04 Jul 2006, 02:00

geoffcowgill wrote:I just feel sorry for those people who don't like The Band. That's all I can say.

Do you really feel sorry for me? Well don't. The Band are just fine if that's your thing, but you know me - I'm a rock and roll guy. The Stones are my archetypical band: The drug-addled guitarist/songwriter whose life is hanging by a thread; the pouty arrogant singer who wants to fuck everything in sight; the rhythm section charging ahead, completely oblivious to the spectacle. They play down and dirty dangerous nipple-hardening rock and roll. People sweat. Parents panic. Girls learn new tricks.

The Band? They're competent. They write some good songs. People dig their musicianship. They're a good ensemble. Hell, there's a band playing at The Thirsty Frog tonight that meets all these criteria (they may not be as good as The Band, but they're a damn sight better then Crazy Horse). I can't get too excited about The band because they don't seem to get too excited. They don't care if I'm watching or not - they got a healthy rider of barbeque and Pabst, they're all beardy and rustic, and fuck me, they have a singing drummer. Didn't Triumph have a singing drummer? That shit just doesn't fly with me. The truth is, I don't listen because at times it just sounds like twangy old man rock, a stones toss from my dad's music. The band that played on Highway 61 Revisited is the motherfucker. That's my kind of shit-kicking.

I may reassess my feelings for The Band someday, but they just don't grab me by the boo-boo. I can only take so much draft beer before I get gassy and hit the sheets. Oh yeah, and Clapton, too.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

&

Postby & » 04 Jul 2006, 02:07

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:I just feel sorry for those people who don't like The Band. That's all I can say.

Do you really feel sorry for me? Well don't. The Band are just fine if that's your thing, but you know me - I'm a rock and roll guy. The Stones are my archetypical band: The drug-addled guitarist/songwriter whose life is hanging by a thread; the pouty arrogant singer who wants to fuck everything in sight; the rhythm section charging ahead, completely oblivious to the spectacle. They play down and dirty dangerous nipple-hardening rock and roll. People sweat. Parents panic. Girls learn new tricks.

The Band? They're competent. They write some good songs. People dig their musicianship. They're a good ensemble. Hell, there's a band playing at The Thirsty Frog tonight that meets all these criteria (they may not be as good as The Band, but they're a damn sight better then Crazy Horse). I can't get too excited about The band because they don't seem to get too excited. They don't care if I'm watching or not - they got a healthy rider of barbeque and Pabst, they're all beardy and rustic, and fuck me, they have a singing drummer. Didn't Triumph have a singing drummer? That shit just doesn't fly with me. The truth is, I don't listen because at times it just sounds like twangy old man rock, a stones toss from my dad's music. The band that played on Highway 61 Revisited is the motherfucker. That's my kind of shit-kicking.

I may reassess my feelings for The Band someday, but they just don't grab me by the boo-boo. I can only take so much draft beer before I get gassy and hit the sheets. Oh yeah, and Clapton, too.

I'd actually put it the other way around. I think The Stones are competent and The Band are otherworldly great. :D

And the times you feel a bit like an old man, what d'you do then?

[EDIT: But you're right, girls don't learn new tricks to The Band]

[EDIT 2: On the other hand, they stop minding overly hairy guys, which is a step in the right direction]

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 04 Jul 2006, 05:00

Dark Clark wrote:And the times you feel a bit like an old man, what d'you do then?

That's becoming more and more frequent. I may have to start stocking up on Glen Campbell records. I hear he's pretty good.

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 04 Jul 2006, 05:35

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
Dark Clark wrote:And the times you feel a bit like an old man, what d'you do then?

That's becoming more and more frequent. I may have to start stocking up on Glen Campbell records. I hear he's pretty good.

Well, you like 70s Beach Boys, right?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 04 Jul 2006, 07:38

"..better than Crazy Horse.."?

*shakes head slowly and walks off to another thread*
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

&

Postby & » 04 Jul 2006, 08:02

The Slider wrote:"..better than Crazy Horse.."?

*shakes head slowly and walks off to another thread*

Well, in one sense, they're the antithesis of Stonesy sharp rock 'n' roll, I suppose.

But in all other senses...

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 04 Jul 2006, 08:09

The Stones are sharp?

I had them down as almost as loose as the Horse.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

&

Postby & » 04 Jul 2006, 08:41

The Slider wrote:The Stones are sharp?

I had them down as almost as loose as the Horse.

Loose they are (or used to be), but they don't sprawl in quite the same magnificent way as the Horse. And Keef's playing is all angles.

FunkyMunkee

Postby FunkyMunkee » 04 Jul 2006, 10:46

I'm 36 years old and I just started geting into The Band.

Don't ask me what took me so long...it was just one of those things.

I've been catching up, basically, and now I am a fanatic where The Band is concerned.

I'm too drunk right now to say much more...but it was you folks that got me started. Thanks.

I've been immersing myself into The Band. But, as I said, I'm drunk so I won't say much more, but I had to throw that out there.

Favorite song - Acadian Driftwood. Fuckin' awesome. There's so much more I could add but fuck it. I'm surprised I can still type.

I'll add more when I'm more coherent.
Blow me. That's my signature.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 04 Jul 2006, 16:44

I concur with Toomanyhatz:

Album: Stagefright. I know that The Band is the popular favourite, but I prefer its follow-up, which to my ears is a more personal record, and the singing seems to be more emotionally connected to the material. And the songs seem to be contributions to the whole, an attempt to flesh out a larger picture. The immediate songs - the title track, "The Shape I'm In", "W.S Walcott's Medicine Show - are comparable to anything on the first two albums. The slowburners - "Sleeping" "All La Glory" "The Rumor" - give the record character and dimension.

Song: Up On Cripple Creek, an unfeasibly laid back and funky track full of swagger, mischief, and sexiness in equal measures. The tune features Levon Helm's best vocal performance and his trademark just-on-the-beat drumming, Garth Hudson's playful clavinet-meets-wah-wah, Danko's weird upper-register harmony, and Robertson's deft telecaster stabs. All of these ingredients make this mini-movie of a song into something that stands as one of the best examples of the group's ability to focus their talents - ensemble playing and storytelling talents in particular - to a degree that puts them ahead of everyone.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

bixhenry

Postby bixhenry » 04 Jul 2006, 19:39

One of my favorite bands ever; their first two albums are, to me, close to Beatle-worthy. It matters not a lick to me that they dropped off pretty sharply after Stage Fright; with the masterful 'It Makes No Difference' late in their game, they could never be totally counted out.

I know The Last Waltz was an overhyped, bloated starfest in many ways, but seeing the movie when it first came out as a fourteen-year-old really opened my eyes about the possibilities of songwriter-oriented music, essentially turning me on to The Band, Neil Young, and Van Morrison ("who is that little leprechaun with the jumpsuit? He's amazing!") all at once.

The Band's merits are so obvious to me, I won't even defend them.

Album - Music From Big Pink

Song - 'King Harvest'

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 04 Jul 2006, 21:11

Ive been humming and ha'ing about this all day, and the choice is just too tough.First two albums are outstanding-great barnstorming rebel rousing, and yet also wistful yearning too.
I guess The Band, if I have to choose.Im not sure about that.
Fave tracks are easier.
"It Makes No Difference" from "The Last Waltz" or "Dont You Do It" from "Rock of Ages".Depends if Im in a head down, or head up mood which.
Bless the weather.......Image

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 04 Jul 2006, 21:11

geoffcowgill wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:

A few tracks here and there, though I think the best is Love You (which is essentially a Brian Wilson solo album). Is there a correlation between 70s Beach Boys and the Band?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Jul 2006, 21:25

bixhenry wrote:I know The Last Waltz was an overhyped, bloated starfest in many ways..

Oof! You wanna be careful here, mate, saying stuff like that! Could get you locked up!

Bored me to fuckin' tears, that film.

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 04 Jul 2006, 23:11

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:

A few tracks here and there, though I think the best is Love You (which is essentially a Brian Wilson solo album). Is there a correlation between 70s Beach Boys and the Band?

No, between 70s Beach Boys and Glen Campell, I thought.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 05 Jul 2006, 03:19

On paper I should like the Band, they certainly have the pedigree. Influencial, great musicans, the whole Dylan connection. But I get bored to tears each time I hear them. I don't diss them or advocate violence against them like I do Prince but they don't rock my world either. They're kind of there, serving the useful purpose of being a signal to hit the john whenever they come up in a Jolly Up conversation.
He tries.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 05 Jul 2006, 03:26

Album:The Band

Song: "Up On Cripple Creek"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Return to “BCB 100”