BCB 100 - Nick Cave

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Jun 2006, 11:39

The trio of songs of Hallelujah, Fifteen Feet, and Oh Lord (i used lyrics from that- "now i'm down on my hands and knees, it's so fucking hot, someone cries what're you looking for, i say the plot the plot, i call me wife at home she screams leave us alone, i say hey it's only me"- for my avatar for ages) are Nick Cave's peak creations...a brutally hellish combination of Pinter and Blake, and for me, actually his best lyrics. Magilla, weren't you convinced that Nocturama would eventually grow on you!? I guess it failed! but yeah, Bring It On always puts me in a great mood, i just think "fuck yeah, bring it on muthafucker"!

When I first heard Tupelo and then realised the Elvis connection I was astounded, it was such an awesome vision of the birth of the devilish rock n' roll. And watching Do You Love Me? live is an absolute treat, possibly the best live experience I regularly experience. It's weird, because his scale is very limited- both vocally and musically (virtually every song goes C to D to G and back, interestingly very few minor chords for someone with such whistful tendencies)...but there is so much depth to the music. I have to stick with the crowd favourite From Her to Eternity as my favourite song though, it's menacing love personified. Together with Brother James, the best example of 80s dark rock. Mercy Seat, Mercy, Sad Waters...so many close contenders but not enough.

Album: And No More

Song: From Her
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Jun 2006, 11:43

I have to buy more Nick Cave.

Album - No More Shall We Part

Song - "Carry Me"
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Jun 2006, 11:50

by the way, the Live album is a veritable 'best of'...i think the versions of Tupelo, From Her, John Finn's and several others on it are definitive. the girls in the crowd screaming when they recognise Ship Song is hilarious!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 30 Jun 2006, 11:57

Abattior Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus for me.

Big, sprawling...all good songs, ranging from the scary to the sublime.

I think "Messiah Ward" is one of my two favorite Cave performances of his own songs. The image of sitting with a former lover watching the world end and having that be a metaphor for a relationship works very well. The other is Tupelo. Taking the position of some that rock and roll is the devil's music, then casting Elvis as antichrist...it'd make a great horror film.

Of course, my favorite performance of a Cave song has to be Johnny Cash's "The Mercy Seat". Sends chills every time I hear it.
a gibbon running freely

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 30 Jun 2006, 15:20

King John Coan wrote:His only real classic album is 'Tender Prey'.

It's one of the weaker ones by my estimation.
I'm a long time fan from the Boys Next Door stuff.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 30 Jun 2006, 15:31

Yyzlin wrote:The Good Son is my definite Cave favorite of the one's I've heard. It's Cave at his most beautiful, with enough of that underlying sinister to please.

I can go along with that judgement. It's a great record.
On the whole I find Nick Cave himself exceedingly hard to swallow, largely on account of the seriousness with which he evidently takes himself, and a faint whiff of unspeakable pretension is never too far away from his work. Mind you, when he hits it, he hits it good...
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Yyzlin

Postby Yyzlin » 30 Jun 2006, 15:56

James R wrote:
Yyzlin wrote:The Good Son is my definite Cave favorite of the one's I've heard. It's Cave at his most beautiful, with enough of that underlying sinister to please.

On the whole I find Nick Cave himself exceedingly hard to swallow, largely on account of the seriousness with which he evidently takes himself, and a faint whiff of unspeakable pretension is never too far away from his work. Mind you, when he hits it, he hits it good...

I never understand why people dislike music because of how an artist takes himself. If Cave didn't take himself that seriously, but the music stayed the same, would you all of a sudden like his music better?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jun 2006, 16:48

Yyzlin wrote:
James R wrote:

I never understand why people dislike music because of how an artist takes himself. If Cave didn't take himself that seriously, but the music stayed the same, would you all of a sudden like his music better?

Sometimes it rubs off in the grooves.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Yyzlin

Postby Yyzlin » 30 Jun 2006, 18:06

Baron The Lesser wrote:
Yyzlin wrote:
James R wrote:

And even if that's true, why are people so against seriousness in music? Music has to be the only "art" where there is a sizeable group of knowledgable and intelligent purveyors who actually feel that seriousness is something to be avoided. Certainly, you wouldn't find a movie elitist who is absolutely averse to dramas. What's wrong with having both the fun and the serious?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jun 2006, 18:16

Yyzlin wrote:
Baron The Lesser wrote:
Yyzlin wrote:
James R wrote:

And even if that's true, why are people so against seriousness in music? Music has to be the only "art" where there is a sizeable group of knowledgable and intelligent purveyors who actually feel that seriousness is something to be avoided. Certainly, you wouldn't find a movie elitist who is absolutely averse to dramas. What's wrong with having both the fun and the serious?

I like a lot of bands that are "serious," but Nick Cave's brand of seriousness rubs me the wrong way.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Yyzlin

Postby Yyzlin » 30 Jun 2006, 22:26

Baron The Lesser wrote:
Yyzlin wrote:
Baron The Lesser wrote:
Yyzlin wrote:
James R wrote:

I like a lot of bands that are "serious," but Nick Cave's brand of seriousness rubs me the wrong way.

That's allright. I suppose I wasn't referring to Cave directly. Just the general trend I've noticed where people just HAVE to their music to be atleast a bit witty or humorous.

This Was
Internet Search Engine

Postby This Was » 30 Jun 2006, 23:35

Last edited by This Was on 08 Feb 2010, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 01 Jul 2006, 01:16

G-Z wrote:by the way, the Live album is a veritable 'best of'...i think the versions of Tupelo, From Her, John Finn's and several others on it are definitive. the girls in the crowd screaming when they recognise Ship Song is hilarious!

I saw one of the gigs on that tour and Cave and the gang were on fire, fantastic live show.

Rupert, I "hear" what you're saying, but think you've got the wrong end of the stick. Sure, The Boatman's Call is pretty acessible to his early stuff, but let's put it in context: the guy's getting near 50 these days and leads a life that's not conducive to the type of music expressed on those early albums.
I reckon he's more interested in songs these days, as opposed to brutal sounds.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 01 Jul 2006, 04:30

I love all his records with the Bad Seeds, I don't own any Birthday Party but that is a situation that I do need to rectify.

I saw him live once (at the Beacon in NYC) and it was a hell of a show. He has a great stage presence and the band was shit hot. I can see him as an aquired taste. One of my friends described him as such: "All of his songs are him singing 'I'm in this spooky bar, and there's a withcy looking woman and she's got red lipstick on. . .' ". I really couldn't argue too much.

Album: Let Love In
Track: Red Right Hand
He tries.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jul 2006, 23:23

album: 'Kicking Against the Pricks'
song: I REALLY like what the man does with "Stagger Lee"!!!

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 03 Jul 2006, 23:32

Album: Live Seeds

Song: The Ship Song

I know everybody's entitled to their own opinion but if you think Nick is anything less than god-like you don't have your ears screwed on properly. The Bad Seeds are one of the best live acts i've ever seen even without Blixa Bargeld.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 04 Jul 2006, 00:37

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Do you even hear a difference with Bargeld no longer there ? I don't.
Don't miss his stage persona much either.

Music-wise, there's not too much difference since Cave has been moving into a more song orientated direction the last few years. But his stage persona is definitely missed. He was the perfect foil to Cave - standing in the corner, lighting up a cigarette and looking bored until it was time to let loose with one of his skronky guitar bits.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Jul 2006, 00:49

Have you seen the DVD from a couple of years ago? It features - as well as rather routine live footage - lots of film of Nick and the Bad Seeds recording 'And No More...' at Abbey Road.

It's fascinating and funny, and unlike most studio footage, can be seen again and again. Pure entertainment. His kid on the drums; the humour in the realisation that the backing vocals on 'Sweetheart Come' sound uncomfortably close to something else, something rather rude; the part that shows Cave, Bargeld and Harvey (?) standing in line to do backing vocals; the scene with Bargeld bothered by his guitar part; and the part where Cave gets prickly with the dude doing a tambourine rhythm. Strongly recommended. I think it's called 'God Is In The House' - I know that's the name of one recent Cave DVD - entirely possible it's not the one I'm talking about.

And there's the inter-video on-the-couch moments with the band on the collected videos comp from years back. Funny as hell, at times. 'I just thought it was shit' - Harvey's perfectly-timed comeback to analysis of the dodgy video for 'Red Right Hand'.

Cave's a good man - droll, intelligent, bullshit-free and likeable. I really like him more and more.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 04 Jul 2006, 00:51

Mick Harvey just might be the most underrated person in all of rock.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 04 Jul 2006, 00:57

Jeff K wrote:Mick Harvey just might be the most underrated person in all of rock.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I completely agree, he is one of the most talented guitarists around. As I've said before, Cave may be the star, but Harvey is clearly the conductor, when it comes to song arrangements, how they get played live, etc.

Also, yeah, that dvd is called God Is In The House and the bit of Blixa throwing a wobbly becasue his head-phones aren't working is hilarious.

Regarding their live shows pre and post-Blixa, I've seen one of each (unfortunately they don't tour NZ very often) :( and James Johnston is just as impressive onstage, IMHO. He's more involved in the playing of the songs, playing keyboards on some, guitar on others, whereas Blixa was only every so often.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Return to “BCB 100”